Gene Hass F1 Ties To Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Gene Hass F1 Ties To Ferrari?

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Aug 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
  2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Why Honda? Their last effort was, politely, pretty poor.... I'm sure they'll get there as a power unit supplier, but going with Ferrari, with a years more on track experience seems like a damn good plan to me.

This makes a whole bunch of sense to me.

Maybe Mariacci does know what he's up to (!) A "B" team ala Red Bull/STR makes sense, and doing it with someone in the US is possibly a stroke of marketing genius!

Cheers,
    Ian

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Why not Mercedes?

4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    OK, I get what you say Ian. But it appears that Honda is planning to come on strong from the start, certainly they hope to not repeat the past. They have McLaren, and putting on a big push for champion driver. Ferrari, their current effort, to use your words, is pretty poor. Their engines have not been the strongest for a few years.

So I still question why Ferrari. There are another two well funded teams that could entertain the "B" team concept.

5. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Why Ferrari?

I recently read somewhere that Haas machine tools are being contracted and utilized by Ferrari for the manufacture of factory parts, as well as bespoke tools for Ferrari dealerships globally.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #7 Fast_ian, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    No doubt. They've certainly got the resources..... But I'd be amazed if they do much next year. I may be eating crow here, but I'd still take a year of on track experience over a new entry. They can do all the test bed running and simulations they want, but there remains (thank God ;)) a significant difference when you actually get 'out there' IMO.

It's another of those "intangibles" of motor racing - There's nothing like actual, race (not even testing ;) )running.

True. But they're struggling to stay ahead of Force India right now!

Further, IIRC, the Mclaren/Honda deal is actually exclusive next season(?)

That's all true, but as we know, even a champion driver in an 'average' car is going to be little more than average at best.

Neither Ferrari or Renault are that far behind, and (hopefully) next year will be yet closer. IMO, it's not the Merc PU that's giving them the advantage right now either - it's the whole 'package' as they say.

Even leaving the potential marketing benefits aside, much less risk going with Ferrari. Even if he could get Honda, huge risk IMO is my point I guess.

Cheers,
    Ian

7. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    When I read "satellite" team, I can't help but think back marker. Not fair I guess but I was really hoping they'd come in independent and make a real push to be a contender at some point doing they're own thing.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Interesting thought.

Are the Baby Cans ever going to beat the Cans?

Probably not I guess......

OTOH, just having the same PU supplier, and maybe some shared technology won't have such an impact?

I dunno the answer, and personally still feel he'd be better off to go after an existing team; Rumor is Lopez is getting bored with Fauxtus for example. IMO, he'd be much better served going for them and changing to Ferrari power.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ferrari brand has cachet in the US market. A US team with "Ferrari" associated with it develops headlines and following very swiftly. Daft move Id say.

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #11 hairy_scotsman, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  11. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Did you mean deft?

The talk earlier when Haas signed the sponsorship deal with Ferrari is that his team may be for Ferrari what Torro Rosso is for RBR. Sounds like a great idea to me. If the FIA is gonna allow a team to basically have a 2nd team running as a test platform and driver incubator, then Ferrari might as well have one, too.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I had the exact same question!..... He firstly seems to be agreeing with me (;)) that it makes sense, then calls it "daft". :confused:

+1

Exactly.

Cheers,
    Ian

13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Of course when Ferrari does what RBR have been doing for years, I'm certain there will be many crying foul.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It sounds like that to me too.

Client team looks better.

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Deft of course. Forgive.

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :) Forgiven.

Autocorrect?

In best California accent; "I was, like, WTF." ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Under the rules how closely can the teams operate?

18. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hear you Ian and I can tend to agree, however lest us not forget, Ross Brawn essentially dropped a Merc PP into a Honda car or was it something to do with Toyota, (memory fading) and blitzed the field, ok with a DD=?, but ...;)

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    As of right now, not very much at all. At least in theory. ;)

But, as the article notes;

Be interesting to see if he gets anywhere. I know there was talk a while back about allowing teams to buy a lot more components from others in the famous name of cost cutting.

Cheers,
    Ian

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You mean that "cost cutting" could actually SAVE teams money?
    ;)

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    So we will likely have:

Ferrari engines: Ferrari, Haas, Sauber, Marussia

Mercedes: Mercedes, Williams, Force India, Lotus?

Renault: Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Caterham, Lotus?

Honda: Mclaren

Ferrari has already the largest number of certain customer. Now they just need to build an engine to make sure those customers don't monopolise the last three rows of every starting grid.

22. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Maybe this is too simple, since Haas has stated previously that going with Ferrari brings them not JUST the power unit, but a company that can also provide transmission and etc. Am I missing something?

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Under the current formula the motor, transmission, and even the regenerative brakes are all of a piece. I don't see what sense it makes to just sell the motor.