Honda positioning themselves | FerrariChat

Honda positioning themselves

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferraripilot, Sep 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Honda can match Mercedes, Arai reaffirms - GPUpdate.net

Definitely a thread-worthy post as they [Honda] believe they can catch multiple teams -specifically Mercedes- who already have a full season of data to rely upon for their power unit and shift mapping. Mclaren/Honda will be a force to be reckoned with, but not until at least 2016 IMO.

I believe Honda's recent statement is meant to position themselves to better court a top driver, not that there's no possibility of truth to what their stating. The truth they claim won't be realized immediately, but it's definitely a statement worth a go with the fans to prod Mclaren to amp up their driver lineup as well as they've been increasing their aerodynamic/technical lineups.

2. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    As many have said, mclaren already have the best engine so I don't see how they will become competitive even if honda produce a better power unit.

I predict they will be nowhere next season and no WDC driver will join the team either. Hope they stick with button he's still good

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mclaren should be better next season...they've acquired quite a few very good people recently.

I don't think they'll be the team to beat, but they'll be back fighting for the podiums with Mercedes, Red Bull and hopefully Ferrari.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ron D is is back on mission so I thought, since he stopped messing about with road cars, and his X rated nemesis, is or should be bound and gagged in some Chelsea flat with his pants down maintaining his hobby, a round of golf appears not to be his cup of tea...;)

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :D

Chasing a tiny ball and hitting it with a stick is not my idea of fun either ;).

6. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Spoils a nice walk mate, I agree..;)

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I wish Honda the best and welcome back to F1. Great news to see a company be involved again. Early success will be good for all in F1.

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I feel for Honda... they needed one more season of patience and they would have been World Champions instead of BrawnGP.

It'll be good to see them back in the sport, and I think paired with McLaren is a good place for them.

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Agreed. The more the merrier!

I'd bet there were much "woulda, coulda, shoulda's" in Japan about Brawns season!.... Talk about bad timing!

Having said that, while he had the DD, we'll never know if they'd have been as dominant with Honda power......

Cheers,
    Ian

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Probably worth a quick cross post from the other thread;

Again, dunno how reliable these rumors may be, but I'll be really surprised if they don't struggle next season. They're good, & certainly have the resources, but there remains no substitute for actual race experience - Not testing, racing! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian
    Ferrari exit could open for Alonso on Monday - report | News | Motorsport.com

11. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'd say Fred should take a chance and jump ship, if RD and him can leave their differences at the door, and concentrate on only common goals : WDC's and WCC.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I wonder who will benefit from such a rumour? I'm sure the Honda powerplant is pretty well guarded, especially if it's not doing so well...

Ferrari stands to lose the most here. Wonder what sneaky Italian is spreading rumours in Japan ;).

Mercedes got their extra power because of how the placed the turbo and intercooler. Everyone and his dog knows their little trick now and next year all teams will have the same engine setup, the real difference being in the mapping I would say.

Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault have a year extra experience in real mapping, which can to a certain degree be replicated in the factory (Mclaren will send them all data they can now). That's one of the things they have to catch up on.

No doubt will they have their issues, but I don't think it'll be as bad as some think...

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair enough.

Personally, I disagree; I think he'd be better served to stay in Maranello.

The PU department will get their act together and seems Matiacci may just have a clue. They can't keep on turning out new versions of Clifford, surely?

Experience with these things must count, and a years head start remains significant IMO. Further, even with Uncle Ron in charge, Mclaren, even with the all powerful Merc lump continue to struggle - why should next season, with an unproven unit, be any different?

As always, my 02c ;)
    Cheers,
    Ian

15. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was thinking the same thing, but I was too shy to say anything.

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :)

You and "shy" don't exactly scream legitimate to me! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

17. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's a tricky one to call for sure, however IMO, Mclaren are already on the upward curve, I have forgotten how many years Alonso has been at Ferrari now, so it must be a fair few years, and he his no spring chicken now, however I still believe he still has a strong desire to win, the same with Hamilton.

So to sum it up, either he sticks with Ferrari and hopes they can give him a better mouse trap, or risks taking a plunge with a new power plant and a team proven that can win him WDC's not saying Ferrari cannot do that, but how long does he wait.

I know what I'd like to see and respect him for.

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    #18 F2003-GA, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    McLaren was the fastest car at the end of 2012 season until leadership took it in the wrong direction the following season.
    2015 will be warmup season They will be in the top 3 fight for WDC WCC in 2016

19. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I personally would love a McLaren-Williams battle just for nostalgia.

20. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If Honda didn't think that they could compete at the top level they wouldn't be entering F1 so how is that statement a surprise?

Don't discount Macca based on this year's record.
    MB did not give them complete access to engine data while the chassis was being designed for fear of it leaking to Honda. Without it they could not optimally integrate the design. And integration of the entire package is crucial under the new formula.

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Really have no idea why people are already assuming instant success when Honda returns.

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I haven't seen anyone saying that. Just that they've got a great track record, a year to learn from other designs and a good shot at success.

No guarantees in F1.

23. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    They don't have to say it. But lots of people in other threads saying that Alonso and Lewis can escape their current teams and return to Mclaren Honda. For what? Like you pointed out...nothing is guaranteed in F1.

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sometimes its tough to tell the frying pan from the fire.
    ;)

25. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    ESPN F1 - Honda quoting they can match Mercedes next year

Let's not forget Merc and others are under a development freeze and Honda is NOT
    Plus I'm sure they have had a peek at Merc's engine thru McLaren - Love Honda hope they ROCK :)