Team leadership Mercedes style | FerrariChat

Team leadership Mercedes style

Discussion in 'F1' started by VIZSLA, Sep 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Mercedes have stated that while their drivers are not under team orders and are free to race if there is a repeat of what happened at Spa one of them might be let go.
    What idiocy. You're free to race, just not too much.
    If the on track situation is that fraught someone at MB has to grow a pair and set some rules and not rely on the good judgement of either driver in the heat of battle.
    The lack of a definitive team boss seems to be biting them on the backside.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep.....

It's gonna bite them on the ass before its over.....

Cheers,
    Ian

3. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Fully agree with that. It came across as if they had two drives fight on the track and a number of bosses fighting outside the track...
    I guess they took the gamble of having two #1s and there has been good reasons why many teams avoid that. Perhaps in a more competitive season (with more teams fighting for it) a Ros-Ham team might be ideal with entirely different racing styles. With the two only competing against one another there comes the drama?

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Mercedes themselves are lost. They have no power and control over the drivers. Every week they issue some rubbish statements.

5. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Red Bull had a definitive team boss and SB ignored his orders...

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think it was last year or in 2012 when they started their collection of teambosses and engineers, several here and I stated it won't work (particularly with bosses and the like tripping over each other). We where right...car is mega, but the team and it's integrity is ****ing ****.

This is a big marketing campaign for Mercedes (and VERY expensive), they're certainly making headlines, but not the ones they ultimately want. I would not be impressed if I was a member of the Merc top brass.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He did, but Vettel caught flak for it and not Red Bull. A driver ignoring team orders is nothing new.

A top team that seems utter dumbfounded with the simple steps of management is embarrassing.

8. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Never would have happened under Neubauer.
    ;)

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Agreed.

Heads *should* roll, & not the drivers either. Just a question of which one(s) have the most political power I guess. Who can play the game best? I somehow doubt it's Niki.....

Cheers,
    Ian

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :p ;)

11. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    HALT!
    Or I'll yell HALT again!

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

One of the all time classic lines fer sure! ;)

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Last weekend I had the privilege of putting the question of MB team leadership to someone of impeccable and intimate knowledge of Mercedes racing. The forum was only semi public so I won't identify him but his take was that the abrogation of responsibility was shameful. Take it from me, this man knows.

14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    It hasn't already!?! Haha. Yeah, this soap opera will be a classic

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Has any double-alpha situation survived beyond a single season? How did McLaren control the Senna/Prost situation?

Only one of two things can happen to fix the situation:

- one of them leaves (probably Hamilton, since he's not under contract currently. I can see him back at McLaren...remember he said he could see himself back there after announcing he was leaving)

- the field catches up and eliminates Merc dominance. Could happen, but they don't control this. Still, the relationship may be damaged beyond repair.

It's an untenable pairing, imo. Where's Norbert Haug?

16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Generally, you can't sell your driver out like that, right or wrong. There's some broken trust there also.

17. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's simple, the FIA have to make a clear cut and dried rule on the laws of overtaking, and have no black and white grey area about it.

I was under he impression Todt was trying or was going to do this.

Then the hammer can come down either way, non of this issue would have reared it's head otherwise, taking out your team mate however is a matter for the team involved to deal with all IMO>

18. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 Mclarens pace, may not have gone unnoticed today, roll on Honda.

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sorry, but I don't get your point.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    While I admire your objective(s), it simply cannot be done IMO.

There's too many variables. Particularly with the way 'modern' tracks are configured with massive run off areas and escape routes etc.

I honestly believe Charlie & the stewards are doing the best they can under the circumstances they race under today.

Let them race! With their 'sticky out wheels' they generally do a pretty good job of keeping it clean IMO. They take chances, as they damn well should, but, in general, recognize they can harm themself just as much as the other guy with any kamikaze moves.

Sure, the consequences for ****ing up aren't what they used to be, and TBH, neither should they be.

Cheers,
    Ian

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It's not an FIA issue unless there's undo danger in the overtake move. What we're looking at here is a team issue.
    I prefer to let em race as well but F1 is still a team sport and if orders serve the team's best interest sobeit.

22. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    isn't that what you have to do if you overtake after cutting the chicane? :)

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    No one was injured nor was there any real danger of personal injury, so no.
    However it certainly wasn't in the team's best interest. If you let them race without team orders you have accept such an event.
    As I said earlier, in a prerace interview Niki specifically expressed concern about just this sort of event. The team knew but did nothing. Its on their head.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sure. No argument from me there..... I always said outlawing team orders was BS. Very much a part of the sport. Always has been and always should be. Part of the nature of a team sport.

Their attempt at outlawing them was, fortunately, brief.

I totally agree that Mercs problem is their own to figure out. Nothing to do with Charlie..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    OMG Dave.....read what I wrote and what I highlighted.....not what you THINK I wrote! lol