Who d'you think is the most mechanically savvy among current top drivers? | FerrariChat

Who d'you think is the most mechanically savvy among current top drivers?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Sep 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    As for title. Who understands the mechanics, the electronics, gives the best feedback, can develop a car and can set it up best?

2. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Mechanics and electronics - rosberg

Set up - hamilton and maybe alonso but if that were the case ferrari would be more competitive so maybe just hamilton

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Clearly Alonso.

4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    No way Alonso. In many inteviews when Alonso was with Renault, Briatore stated it was Fisichella that set up the cars.

Hamilton? Maybe.

But the one with the most experience, Massa. That is why Williams hired him.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've read way to many times that Alonso is not mechanical saffy at all. His (enormous) strength lies into being able to drive anything quickly. Quite a talent to have.

Kimi knows exactly what he wants and apparently works very well with engineers to get that feeling as much as possible (obviously there are limitations built into the car, like this current one for example).

A year or two ago I read an interview about Vettel that he's exceptional as well.

Interesting that Massa is mentioned, and probably can't be ignored. He did that year at Ferrari testing at any given moment which must've learned him a lot. Good call.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Re electrics I have no clue. Surely the ERS and when it should be used is optimized by computers and the brain trust? That's just a lot of mathematics I would say...

7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Really?? Hmmm. Well, there you go. As I said, Alonso. :)

8. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    **** that guy. He was a ****ing sweater salesman who happened to be in the right place at the right time. He willingly & knowingly put one of his drivers, circuit workers and even spectators at huge risk in order to win a race.

Not only is the man lower than whale **** his engineering ability & knowledge to make such statements is even lower. Zero credibility in the world of Motorsport IMO.

My blood still boils when I see him - and I noticed he was in the paddock today. After a lifetime ban. Saddest thing I've seen in a long time. :(

Ian

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Steve? ;)

To be fair, he was still Alonso's manager when he made this claim.

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You know that would make the Ferrari more competitive? Maybe the setup is already getting the most the car has to offer.

11. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    This specifically, i don;t know. But Alonso is a class above the rest, IMO.

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ;)

Nah. AFAIK, Mad Max resigned/finished his term with no sanctions from the FIA.

That mother****er was banned (by the FIA) from any FIA sanctioned event. For life. And rightly so IMO.

Yet here he is, smiling away, in the paddock. ****! Sorry, pisses me off beyond belief!

The only thing worse would be seeing him in that ****ing speedo again! Please don't do it! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I hear Hulkenburg is a genius with understanding these cars.

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The fact is today, with an engineer monitoring every aspect of the car on telemetry, the drivers
    needn't worry about these things.

Watching the SKY streaming broadcast during FP2 yesterday at Monza, a transmission from the pits
    to a driver said basically that his rear brakes were getting too hot going into Turn One, suggesting
    that the drive turn the bias towards the front.

As one of the commentators noted at the time, "Why can't the driver just feel that, go ahead make
    the adjustment himself?" (SIC). The point being, everything on modern F-1 cars is so micromanaged
    that they've taken the driver equation out of the mix, all the driver is supposed to do is drive fast and
    then give his feedback at the end of the session.

Perhaps not the best answer but putting one driver over another in this case these days seems
    rather moot.

BHW

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sorry but you're wrong.

Yes, an engineer can still see what's going on but he doesn't feel it. Driver feedback is still incredibly important in F1. Good and accurate is highly necessary because there is no testing or indeed a dedicated test team.

16. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    #16 asjoseph, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    ... most educated F1 driver since Michele Alboreto, a degree in engineering, the answer is Nico Rosberg, by a country mile.

So staff is better able to surmise a driver's general level of education and intellectual acumen, Frank Williams top engineering staff put together a special little SAT type "test" they spring, upon all incoming drivers. Not only did Nico Rosberg score higher than any driver in Williams history? He aced it.

It's widely accepted Nico Rosberg boasts highest IQ for an F1 driver, since Mark Donohoe. What makes Nico Rosberg special is, his ability to absorb, digest and sort massive quantities of information, quickly -- Samuel.

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I surely wouldn't put Alonso and Hamilton up there. Ferrari's front pull-rod was probably Alonso's input from his minardi days and I think that's what causing Raikkonen all his troubles. Also having his best friend de la rosa as the team test driver, I don't see as very productive. Start to believe he's not the right man for developing a team and he's already got too much power inside Ferrari.