Lawrence Stroll to buy Sauber?? | FerrariChat

Lawrence Stroll to buy Sauber??

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Sep 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    They continue to line up to be involved.

In a dead sport (according to some here).

;)
    Ian

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    In a way it is a dead sport like they made it this year.

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I wonder if it wouldn't be better for Haas to purchase Sauber as an intro a la Tyrrell - BAR.

5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I would love for Stroll to buy Sauber, and invest/fund them PROPERLY so that they could get on with racing. I am baffled by the number of BS artists who claim to want to invest in an F1 team and then don't find the cash or make the promised payments.

Apparently Albers quit at Caterham because the brand new Swiss/Middle East investors have failed to make the deposits they guaranteed to fund the team. Sauber had Russian "investors" who never came up with the money, "Lotus" (Genie) has middle east funding that never materialized from a BS artist... Jordan had a history of bouncing between overpromising and underfunding BS artists, beginning with Midland and the Russian/Canadian "investor". Sigh, the seedy underside of our sport.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Dead sport......hmmmm, so why are there new countries lining up to get a F1 race??

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Exactly my point......as I've said many times, not only is the calendar full to overflowing but the grid remains full too. With more awaiting an entry.

Must suck to be Bernie and be in such demand!

No wonder his price keeps increasing. Anyone remember 'supply & demand'?.......

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sauber, or Fauxtus. I noted a while back it seems Lopez is getting bored with it - I'd guess he could pick them up for reasonable millions.

Or even the Baby Cans; Mr Mateschitz would love to offload his second team if 'reports' are to be believed.

That he still reckons he can do it out of North Carolina is crazy beyond belief IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Ask P.T. Barnum.

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well said.

Sauber is a great team, only let down by poor funding. They need proper investors, proper management, and who knows..maybe Martin Whitmarsh?

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    If it happens, and if Peter Sauber and Monisha Kaltenborn get to stay and be able to run their team properly, it will be a very good thing for the sport. Sauber is a great driver development team, and they deserve to keep racing. Imagine if they get back into sports cars? That would be something....

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Going at it from NC is like setting fire to all your money.

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Seems obtaining a race and owning a team are very very different. Government money appears to build tracks but the private funding of teams seems rather difficult. The major teams are funded but issues with less than stellar/major teams are growing and hesitation on funding them continues.
    Bernie may have tracks but the crisis is not with them immediately. Its the other half of the grid behind Mercedes, Williams, Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren. From row 6 back the situation does not look very good.

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    If these Stroll rumors are true, I would hope the name Sauber stays.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    All fair comments.

But, I don't think the back of the grid is hurting too badly; They're still out there and running well within 107. They may need pay drivers and sponsors are no doubt hard to find, but it's pretty much always been that way.

I don't know how far back you go, but there was some complete **** trundling round back in the day!..... I know Isobel for one well remembers Andrea Moda & Mezario, to name just two, for example! ;)

Further, we have Haas lining up and 'rumors' at least of someone wanting to buy Sauber, again. For sure, it's not all peaches & cream, but again, it's always been that way. There's always been backmarkers "making up the numbers", and today those backmarkers are as close as they've ever been IMO.

F1 is hard, long may it remain so!

Cheers,
    Ian

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Autosport confirmed this rumor. Suggested that talks are already in play.

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David

True about the always but now the stakes are so much higher. There are more employees with a lot farther to fall when a team packs it in.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very true.

But, the barriers to entry are also a lot higher these days too.

Yet still they're lining up for entries it seems.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It's a very valuable and respected name in motor sport, and Stroll isn't exactly the kind of guy who likes his name splattered on everything he owns. He keeps a lower profile than most Billionnaires. I think the name will remain the same.

20. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Strolling Sauber?

21. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Can you see a fire in North Carolina from Europe . Imo Haas is going to be institutionalized by his family

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Being in the F-1 Paddock gets you access to people and opportunities usually not accessible... so if you have some money to open the door, and get in, you could ( if you are really good ) go after partners, financing etc... its all about the contacts. that is why F-1 is in demand in 3rd world countries.

All the teams want is the money and for you to stay out of their way.

The Paddock is a haven for BS experts, cheats, frauds, and liars... some make it some dont. the one thing F-1 does is consume Cash at phenominal rates. When it spits you out ... you dont forget about it.... And neither does Bernie et Al.

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Truer words never spoken! ;)

I wonder what percentage actually really seriously 'gain' from being there versus getting spat out with their tails between their legs?

Cheers,
    Ian

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I dont get it, why cant you run a successful F-1 team from the USA?

we do make great world class airplanes - military & civilian... so the expertise is here. and Charlotte is not a bad place to live compared to Oxfordshire... has about the same density, and the winters are no where near as bad.

You can be in London in 6.5 hours direct from Charlotte or anywhere else in the world...

All that is lacking is $$$ if you have the cash, you can attract a quality team.

He appears to have cash, so I say bully for him.... I wish him well.

It would be great if he could get a classic F-1 name ... Scarab, or Eagle as in Haas Eagle, or Hass Scarab... or Chapparell...

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not sure about "stealing" Eagle or Chaparal, but I see where you're going.

I too certainly wish him well, but just think he's making at the least a logistical nightmare for himself. Can it be done? Possibly, but why make it harder than it already is? Bernie provides all the flyaway transportation out of Stansted in the UK for example. Why not use it?

Cheers,
    Ian