Little disappointed in Daniel | FerrariChat

Little disappointed in Daniel

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Sep 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Maybe I'm just tired and a bit pissy this morning, but I read that Danny again was talking about team orders at Red Bull. First, let's get the disclosures out of the way... I'm sort of a RB fan, I really like Ricciardo, easily one of my favorite drivers and I think he's shown incredible adaptation and driving skill. I'm in no way trying to take anything away from him, but...

... his wins have come as a result of some level of misfortune at Merc. A win is a win, however. Attrition, bad luck, whatever... is all part of F1 and everyone has benefited from it at one point or another. I just think it's a bit premature and bit... I'm not even sure what the word is... to be pushing the team for team orders to help him get ahead. He came in fifth yesterday and has a very long way to go. Sure, a lot can happen, but I don't know... I guess as good as he is, I would have liked for him to say, "F*ck team orders! I'm just gonna take it!"

It's sort of like... you're good but let's not start getting all diva about it already. I was just taken a bit by his comments lately.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Got a link to what he actually said?

Cheers,
    Ian

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #3 SPEEDCORE, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't understand what you are pissed off about??

Eddie asked him during the post race interview for the BBC about team orders and Dan said there are no team orders at the moment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Man alive I have trouble picking faults with him right now, and believe me I would if I could, and not exactly for the right reasons....

Hi Aircon how ya doing digger ...;)

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

His stats are impeccable this year. He owns the Bulls success. He has a laser like precision in passing and superb reflexes. His stock in the paddock is only going up. He is the next big story along with Bottas.
    Red Bull have honest racing this year. I see no favoritism and no reason to be critical of Daniel, Vettel or the team at all.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fact is that he doesn't really need teamorders.

Vettel is simply having a terrible season. His car doesn't work most of the time and the few times he is in front...Red Bull have made just horrible pit calls (Monza, Silverstone and another somewhere I've since forgotten).

There's no favoritism at RB, Ricciardo is just doing a stellar job and increasing his worth every race. Next year Vettel needs strong showings to maintain his stature (and I'm a Vettel fan).

7. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I didn't say I was p*ssed... just a bit disappointed maybe. I'm not making a determination on him as a racer or person... I'm just expressing my feeling on what he's been talking about lately.

My hope is that the's not getting a big head... I'm not saying he is, don't think there's a trend...yet... but it's something struck me as... interesting I guess. Realistically, Merc would have to totally implode for him to have any chance at the championhip. There's nothing wrong with being aggressive and putting yourself in position to take advantage should that happen. That strategy has clearly worked for him in the wins he's gotten. I'm just saying let's not get too ahead of yourself and start talking about what the team ought to do for you.

Horner already dismissed any talk of team orders and was pretty blunt about it. It seemed to be sort of a "okay... let's calm down and get over yourself" kind of statement. Here's the quote:

"After the race Ricciardo said that it is time for Red Bull to decide if they are going to challenge Mercedes for the title and back one driver to do so.

"My lead is around 60 points over Seb [Vettel], " he told BBC Sport.

"I would love to be quicker on merit and not need team orders, but the next couple of tracks are perfect for us so if we need to make any decisions if we can challenge Mercedes for the title then I am sure they will be made."

However, if team principal Christian Horner's comments are anything to go by then Ricciardo won't receive extra help from the team despite his big points lead over team-mate Sebastian Vettel.

"The points difference between Daniel and the two Mercedes is enormous, so it doesn't make sense for us to interfere with the two drivers racing," he is quoted as saying in The Telegraph. "So it's down to what they do on track and that's how they raced today."

8. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree. It seems every strategic call they make for Vettel only hurts him at the end. I definitely think he's driving a lot better. He's finally gotten some seat time lately after all the practice sit-outs and DNF's. I think he'd be further along if all that didin't happen, but it's F1 and it's part of it.

Ricciardo just seems to have total confidence in that car and drives the crap out of it. Coming from Toro Rosso, maybe it's just such in an improvement and he doesn't know any better, where Seb had the perfect car and has now stepped backward. Either way, anyone who says Vettel can't drive is just plain ignoring the races. I'm not really putting money down on anything this first season. I think a lot things are going to change in 2015 and 2016 as technologies get better understood and cars don't DNF because someone forgot to take out a comma in a line of code.

Bottas and Ricciardo have really proven themselves. Those two are the real deal and will likely have a lot of podiums in the years to come and likely a WDC to their name. I think it'll be interesting the next couple of years as they just get better as drivers while the veteran drivers like Vettel and Alsono get more accustomed to the power unit/chassis characteristics and unlearn what they've known for so long and get really in tune with more powerful, better working cars.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yup.

People where also putting Vettel down again after Spa...they forgot he sat out almost the entire friday and actual drove the quali and race on Ricci's settings and info.

10. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Maybe he is enjoying his racing and chilling a bit this year with 4 WDC's on his belt, one can sit back and look at the trophy cabinet, if he needs any reassurance.

11. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I like Vettel... I'm not a fanboy of anyone really, but I do think it's the "in" thing just to bash the guy. He a sh*t driver who didn't earn any of the championships. That seems to be the common theme. Pretty ignorant. I like Nico less and less, but I think he's a damn good driver. Give a great driver a great car and of course he's going to dominate.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IMO hes proven himself (4 titles speak for themselves) but unfortunately he still has his naysayers. It would be nice if he proves them wrong.

13. shimi

shimi Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2011
    sydney,australia
    Full Name:
    richi
    good luck to them both

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yes. more energy left to design cars for Infinity.

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah, when I watch Daniel race I feel like I'm watching the next Alonso. So damn similar. Smart, smooth, consistent, and doggedly persistent.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hopefully he'll stay himself and not suddenly catch some ego :(.

As soon as it became clear that Webber was leaving last year he really stepped up his game and wiped the floor with JEV.

17. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I guess that's exactly my concern with his comments.

18. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Same here. I believe he said 'it's time for RB to get his full support behind him for his title aspirations'. It was a diva move to openly get more support than Vettel, like saying 'hey, I'm the #1 here'. With NO chance to winning the WDC short of a nuclear explosion at MB taking out both drivers, RB would be stupid to alienate Vettel with that move when he's likely to come back much stronger next season. We'll see what happens.

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't believe team orders would be necessary at RB. He went around Vettel like he was in a Marussia at Monza, with Vettel trying to make it difficult.

20. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    At the moment Dan has nothing to lose...He is loose, care free and is enjoying himself... Let's have him get a season or two under his belt and he will feel the pressure to win. We will then see if this changes his happy go lucky personality that he currently exhibits.

21. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You really are barking up the wrong tree.

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Huh? What did Ricci exactly say?

23. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd like to see the video clip, we all know how the press will twist anything into what they want.

All I've seen is Dan saying he would expect SV to help if needed but if you look at how Dan drives he doesn't need his help, he just drives around them all

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

FWIW, I believe Chris posted the transcript back in post #7.

If it gets down to it, which is very doubtful of course, I'm certain Seb will do the 'right thing' and let him by, run tail gunner protection for him and so on.

Again, I'd *love* to see it now! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

25. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's a transcript from a newspaper that I spoke to once :

Hobart Mercury : and every Ferrari owner has at least 2 Ferraris