(what if) 3 car teams, who will drive for who? | FerrariChat

(what if) 3 car teams, who will drive for who?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Sep 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If it gains enough traction and we lose Lotus, Marussia and Caterham...what will the teams look like in you guys opinion?

for me:

Mercedes:
    Rosberg
    Hamilton
    Hulkenberg

Ferrari:
    Alonso
    Raikkonen
    Bianchi

Red Bull:
    Vettel
    Ricciardo
    Kvyat

Mclaren:
    Button
    Magnussen
    Stoffel Vandoorne

Williams:
    Bottas
    Felipe Massa
    Felipe Nasr (those two are going to be hard! pronunciation of Massa and Nasr is almost identical in English!)

Torro Rosso:
    Verstappen
    Da Costa
    Sainz Jr?

Sauber:
    Van der Garde
    Jolyon Palmer or Perez
    Maldonado (if he brings 35 million) otherwise Grosjean

And then I almost forget to include Force India!
    Perez
    Sutil (?)
    Kobayashi

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think your line-ups fairly accurate but suspect Sauber & Force India might decline to run the extra cars due to money and Red Bull & Torro Rosso might feel they already have enough coverage together pushing Kvyat back to TR ie 20 car grid

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I wasn't aware that the 3 cars where only an option when I made my post :)...I would think that FI, TR, Sauber and Mclaren will only run 2 cars. RB is hit and miss...they've said it's no problem for them hence I think Kvyat will still get a bump up. He's been very impressive.

4. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Mercedes would hang onto Lewis, Rosberg. I could see them spending big money to get Vettel but a #3 might not be that important to them. Bottas would be a great #3.

Ferrari would do their best to keep Alonso, but would not be able to attract any quality like Lewis, Vettel to sign up as Fernando's #2 (let alone his #3). Kimi will probably continue to drive if they continue to give him a paycheck. I could see young experience like Perez or Grosjean (or both) rounding out the lineup.

McLaren would be stingy with their #2 and #3 driver because they are cheap, but would spend the money to attract the best #1 that they could. However their performance hasn't been exactly alluring over past seasons so their best #1 might end up being them hanging onto JB or courting new talent like Bottas to drive alongside K Mag.

Red Bull could very well lose Vettel, but they will keep Ricciardo and use their cheap upcoming talent from their feeder team and young driver program to fill two more seats. Fielding a third car means 50% more advert space, and for Red Bull it's a drop in the bucket.

Williams, Force India will pickup whatever talented peanuts are leftover. Force India will look for cheap talent and might only run two cars, while Williams will look for a driver or two who brings the most money to the table, and use that money to run a third car with a paying rookie.

Toro Rosso will pull their own new rookie talent, may only run two cars or vanish completely with Ferrari and Red Bull going to 3 cars.

Newcomers like Haas will run rookies and, if they survive, Sauber would run scrubs like Sutil, Maldonado.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari as 3-car teams = 12 cars.

Williams, STR, Force India, Lotus as 2-car teams = 8 cars.

The field would be 20 cars only.

Gone Sauber, Marussia and Caterham.

Hass would join in 2016 as a 2-car team.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I would like to think there will never be 3 car teams. It just means F1 truly needs to rethink budgets, point and TV money distributions.

F1 has always had the small teams. Losing the small teams would be a black mark on F1.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Couldn't agree more.

Many disagree obviously. And that's fine too of course.

Cheers,
    Ian

8. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Please, no Sutil. The guy's had enough chances and has done nothing.

9. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That line up looks ok to me, I'd rather not have 3 cars a team though.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I only put him because I ran out of names to think of, lol.

He's in the not-quite-heidfelt-frentzen-hulkenberg section for me. IIRC he holds the record for most GP's without a podium.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'd much rather see 2 car teams as well. It'll make getting into the points a MASSIVE challenge for any team that is not in the top 3, and in a few years we'll see the exact same problem a few years down the line: teams with no money.

Rethink the F1 moneys distribution system with my plan discussed in the other threads and F1 will be well on it's way again money wise...

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Most of the logistic would be similar, I would think. Of course, to operate 3 cars you need more personel, more equipment, but a 3-car team wouldn't cost 50% more than a 2-car team.

Customer cars wouldn't mean losing small teams; they would just have access to competitive cars instead of struggling to build their own.

Tyrrell, Williams, for example started by racing customer cars.

13. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yep!

Marussia, Sauber, Caterham might actually have decent performance this year if they could buy instead of build.

And yeah the costs of running a third car would be minimal compared to the huge costs already borne by the teams.