... end of an era (e.g., Europe's new Indycar) | FerrariChat

... end of an era (e.g., Europe's new Indycar)

Discussion in 'F1' started by asjoseph, Sep 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    #1 asjoseph, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    ... this looks to have been translated, I'm guessing from French:

Onestopstrategy.com >> Article >> Colum Marc Limacher: The new Bernie Ecclestone order in F1

Gist of this reports finds FIa, Ecclestone and F1's "strategy group" ushered into a backroom at Monza for an emergency meeting called, to reach consensus, broadening and redefining Max Mosley's definition of "constructor" to include "fabricators" (e.g., anybody who alters the aerodynamics on an F1 entry).

Having gone on the record last month, quoted by the motor sport press stating F1 should "copy Indycar," a happy coincidence, seen up and down the paddock all weekend at Monza, evidently F1's Strategy Group has taken Juan Pablo Montoya's advice to heart.

From 2015 and beyond, F1 begins the process in earnest, of reducing itself to a spec-series.

Looks like Gene Haas will be getting a pair of F15-t Ferraris, Toro Rosso will be getting RB-11s, and Vijay Maliya will likely be getting MP4-30s. I wonder whether Frank Williams will still bother with building his own car? - asj.

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Interesting.

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Depressing

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
  5. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Read the article.... so teams can buy chassis from each other? How does that make it a spec series?

Best years of Indy almost everyone ran Lola or Penske chassis. It was great racing.

I don't see how this is a problem. Ferrari isn't going to buy a chassis. McLaren isn't going to buy a chassis. Nor is Mercedes, nor Red Bull. Too much competitiveness hinges on aero design, and the teams with budgets can easily afford it. I really don't care if the little guys are able to buy a decent set of wheels vs running their own crappy designs.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They can buy chassis but still have to design their own aero etc.

Not the end of the world.

7. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe the silver lining is that the big teams would finally be able to go testing again?

8. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Doubtful but it really should be reconsidered.

I'm really tired of all the technical glitches, brake problems, DRS failures, KERS failures and other miscellany which would easily be worked out during testing. Sometimes it looks like high school science projects out there instead of well engineered and tested multimillion dollar tech.

9. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Τhat exactly..

10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    What world are they living in? I mean, I get that making money in F1 is not easy. But have they actually seen the stands and the proceeds at Indy events? I can't think of a worse race series to emulate when it comes to actual viewership.

Copying Indy? What in the world are they thinking?

-F

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Are you serious? There are way fewer car failures than there were 10 years ago. Look at Monza, Alonso was the only breakdown. Chilton was the only other dnf and he wrecked himself. 10-15 years ago you barely had 10 cars finish some races and they had unlimited testing. Ferrari just set a record for number of races without a mechanical dnf.

The old rose colored glasses effect I suspect.

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    This seems like a good idea, and I am all for it.

F1 has suffered from far too restrictive regulations for too long.

13. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Even without DNFs, drivers suffer from KERS failures, programming problems, battery resets, all sorts of garbage which was not even contemplated 10 years ago.

On the topic of Alonso, he's has suffered two races in a row (5 sec penalty for delayed start in Spa). Last season their DRS was stuck open a couple of races which is a huge safety risk.

Beginning of the season the Mercs et al were having trouble with brakes which caused failure, let alone simply being unsafe. Last season seemed like Red Bull was plagued with sporadic KERS failure all season long.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 understatement of the year right there....

Back then (actually, I'd say a little before, their reliability has been stunning for a long time now) they suffered broken rods, dropped valves and exploding pistons etc.

Bwah, bwah, bwah!

At least they're push the envelope again.

More bwah, bwah! ;)

I think it's great that they're "struggling" with new technology again. Of course the v10s and 8's never broke - they're well understood dinosaurs.

That they're pretty much as quick as they've ever been, using 30-40% less go juice I continue to find awesome. And one of the main reasons I keep following. The engineering is nothing short of stunning!

If they could fix the damn sound I think we're looking at another golden era.

But then, I was never much of a Kim Kardashian fan either.....

Cheers,
    Ian

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Well - I guess we have to watch something...

this is really depressing for F-1 traditionalist like me.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The cars were less reliable 10-15 years ago as teams could make engines last long enough for qualifying and then another for a single race rather than this rev-limited multi-race lifespan. I prefer cars with engines maxing out as many revs as possible than this endurance stuff they got going now that obviously is more reliable.

I don't agree with the sharing chassis bit either they propose. Expand teams to 3 cars a piece to increase viewable ad-space per lap televised and call it a day with no change in the number of chassis actually needing to be made (they already make spares). Test drivers already exist for each team and good enough to race imo. The fixed costs are already there so adding a third car won't as much more cost, but increase ad revenue (and # of paying drivers for lower teams).

17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    A factor in the reliability is the new style gearbox, and Pneumatic valve gear.compared when a driver had to heel and toe and shift manually. Old way he could easily over rev. or pick the wrong gear on the down shift. Some drivers would skip gears on a down shift to save shift time. If you made a mistake you could break the engine. If on a valve spring motor if you over revved, sometimes a valve spring would fail.

Ago

18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

All the more reason to get rid of it and have the manual!

19. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Agreed! Who wants a grand prix car that takes no talent to drive? (And I'm talking here only about no talent to shift. Obviously it takes immense talent to drive it fast and well.)

20. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    news reports today say the F1 teams have shot down the idea of buying car chassis, since the "constructors" championship will still mean you have to construct the car body.

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Excellent news! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +1

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Good news!

24. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    All good points but I just hate seeing a driver's day (or season) ruined by some sort of computer glitch. IMO it would be more fun if they had more testing to work this stuff out.

I would much rather see a blown engine, gearbox, whatnot than some Microsoft tech support problem. Doesn't feel like racing.

:)

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I couldn't agree more on testing! Unfortunately, it seems that's not what they want. :(

Sure - a good old fashioned "kablamo" is a lot more entertaining!

I had an interesting conversation with some Arrows guys at Indy in, IIRC, 2000. One (among many!;)) of their problems was they needed a bunch of Micro$oft based computers to all work simultaneously in order to fire up the car..... As we know, Micro$oft and reliability is an oxymoron. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian