... yet another trademark infringment looming on Ferrari's near horizon? | FerrariChat

... yet another trademark infringment looming on Ferrari's near horizon?

Discussion in 'F1' started by asjoseph, Sep 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    ... some years ago, you might recall di Montezemolo grinding enamel over having dundered, into naming his 2011 F1 entry, after a pick-up truck manufactured and marketed to rednecks and hayseeds, by the Ford Motor Company.

Dundering himself into naming their 2011 F1 entry the F-150, di Montezemolo was arm twisted by Ford Motor Company attorneys, into embellishing the F150 lable further to become the "Ferrari 150° Italia," sufficient to keep wayward Ferrari from stumbling and bumbling, convoluting Ford's market space.

Fast-forward to the here and now, we have the F-14 (e.g., "Goose & Maverick"), which belongs to Northrop Grumman. Fast-forward to 2015, we're going to have the F-15, which belongs to McDonnell-Douglas?

I vote we minions at the winkie-Ferrarichat take it upon ourselves, petitioning the Ferrari policy community for a return to traditional Ferrari convention in formal nomenclature, properly naming Ferrari cars as would Enzo. The sissification of Ferrari, I vote the silly gay guy who decided upon calling Ferrari's new Ferrari the "la Ferrari" be whip-creamed and pummeled in pillow-fights by his boyfriends on his next sleepover - asj.

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahah you're as funny as hell :D

If I LOL anymore I'll fall over on the floor :D

And yet, I like the idea of the old naming convention :confused:

But if we have no engine capacity change for a few years the name won't change ?

3. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    #3 asjoseph, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    ... no end in sight, the 2016 and 2018 seasons constitute yet more trademark infringements for Ferrari, F-16 trademarked to General Dynamics, F-18 trademarked to McDonnell Douglas.

Technically justifiable, social responsibility high on my list, allow me to provide the following link for which to keep Ferrari from getting their panties sued off:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_fluorine

As per the Wikipedia, Ferrari may now educate the defense-intelligence complex that Fluorine isotopes 14-31 appear, as basic building blocks comprising earth and the universe, with Fluorine-18 boasting the longest half-life, as a radioisotope which serves as important source, of positrons! Therefore as such, everybody should be able to name trains, cars and planes after them! - asj.

4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Next year's Ferrari will be the f66 or something equally devilish. Don't remember exactly.

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Next year's car will be called the Ferrari Chrysler

6. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ferrari Grand Cherokee?

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Just call it the Jerrari. Maybe Bill Harrah had the right idea after all.:D

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Ferrari has generally stuck pretty close to one of two schemes for naming its road cars:
    1. The capacity of one cylinder in cc's (last used on the 456), or
    2. The total capacity in liters + number of cylinders (as on the current 458).
    and that applied to the sports racing cars as well.

But the F1 cars have only occasionally followed those schemes since 1979. The present F1 car should have been the 166C.

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

166-Clifford

Perfect! :)

Cheers,
    Ian

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Should send 'Clifford' over the CLIFF :)

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    There was a Mirage/McLaren F1, a McDonell-Douglas/MV Agusta F4, a BMW M1/M1 Abrams tank or a BMW M6/M6 French tv channel and nobody complained. I guess that only if there was another F15 car there would be a problem.

I agree that the old names looked better. Yet, I admit that they´re less marketeable.

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Next year's Ferrari is currently codenamed "project 666", matching the diabolic nature of it's predecessors' engineering

13. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Midpack F is starting to seem appropriate.

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

So the Ferrari F1-P6 for FA and the F1-P10 for Kimi :)