Drivers will have to drive.... | FerrariChat

Drivers will have to drive....

Discussion in 'F1' started by merstheman, Sep 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    FIA bans radio assistance | Planet F1 | Formula One News

Effective immediately the FIA has banned radio assistance and chatter between engineers & drivers, which I think is a great decision. No more "Hey Lewis, your tires are about to explode can you plaese drive a bit slower" type comments...

2. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Best news I've heard out of F1 in years. If it can't fit on a pit board, too bad. Let the driver work it out...

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Quite like it.

Drivers are allowed to ask questions and the engineer is allowed to reply yes or no.

I'm sure they'll discuss how many laps they can use their fastest mapping etc.

Driving lines will have to be discussed back in the pit during practice etc.

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #4 Fast_ian, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but yeah, a good move....

Not quite true. As usual, PF1 does a crap job of reporting the facts.... They remain a long way from relying on pit boards. Here's the real story, Charlie;

Buy yeah, a good step in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Ian
    http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115804/fia-to-enforce-f1-team-radio-limits

5. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Sanitized, cookie-cutter, boring tracks.
    No gravel traps to penalize driver error.
    Zero fan access during a race weekend.
    Horrible TV coverage.
    Ridiculous sounding engines.
    Ridiculous looking cars.

The list goes on and on...

Anything that comes remotely close to the Golden Age of F1 is an improvement.

6. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Dumb. If they share this information in the session debriefs, they should be able to share it real-time.

It's the DRIVER that pushes the pedals and turns the wheel...

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Massa is screwed lol

I've heard these type of transmissions to him more than anyone.

I like this idea...a welcome change.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #8 Fast_ian, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Hmmmm........ An interesting, and obviously different, perspective that's now got me thinking again! :)eek: ;) )

I guess that's pretty much what you do with your students? Which is great for them.

But, at this level, shouldn't they really have to drive the car "alone & unaided' as the regulations state?

I dunno the answer, but thanks for the post! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Wilk

Wilk Rookie

Feb 1, 2014
    Not exactly apples to apples, but if motogp riders can go an entire race with just a pitboard, I would think f1 could too.

10. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    hey Felipe your teammate is faster than you I know it's hard to see in your mirrors

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Stupid F1. They crow about their cutting edge technology but then cripple basic communications tech. Frankly I'm in favor of it as it'll put a bit of racecraft back in the cockpit, but it's worth pointing out the hypocrisy....

12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Ian, please feel free to remind me about this, when I forget about it in a heated debate..;)

13. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I can go with half of that, but for example my friend, just back from Monza, he ending up pit lane taking photo's inside the garages ect....

I was how the hell did you get into that position, he said it was easy, or he is just a amazing blagger, he does have the pictures to prove it as well.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A paddock pass will get you very far. Pricey though.

15. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    He didn't even have one, he just got in..:)

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Probably will spice the racing as it adds another element of randomness, but I think that this is another of those artificial rules of modern F1, like mandatory tyre changes, movable wings and others.

What exactly is "information related to the perfomance of the car or driver"? How the driver is going to know when he has to change something in the car to avoid an exploding engine? They´ll just let it blow? How is FIA going to avoid coded messages? Are teams going to use 4x4 m pitboards?

As I´ve said, it´s too artificial: cars can send megabytes of telemetry data to the pits but the guy in the pits can´t use a f****ing radio? Come on... Yes, back in the days they didn´t use radios, but banning them now is like banning fuel injection and making carburettors mandatory: it´s just out of time.

17. Swobber

Swobber Karting

Mar 25, 2014
    When this message is poster, im already at a Secure place!

I like the V6 turbo sound, but more fuel flow would lead to more RPM, wich would Sound even better!
    -no its Not a V10 going at 18000 rpm, but they still Sound nice.

Back to topic, this might new inforcement of the rules might add a little spice to how different drivers manage their race pace.
    In practice and qualifying im fine with all the radio chat they want.

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I'm going to miss Casey's Top 40.

Where I'm I going to hear hits like; "Multi 21", " I know what I'm doing" , "Magic Paddle", "Someone left a phone in my cockpit " and other certified platinums..;)

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D Damnit Is! You're "worse“ than the Viz at ruining my keyboard! ;)

Thing is though, those are all still legal!.... (The way I read Charlie's "clarification" anyway.)

What they can't do anymore is;

"You're losing .2 entering turn x" or
    "He's braking later than you into turn y" or
    "You can get on the power earlier out of turn z"

Pure "strategy" and "setting" calls remain legal. (I think..... ;))

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    It will just develop in a new code language. No biggie. By the end of the year I wouldn't be surprised if driver and engineers were communicating only in morse code with code brakers back at the factories. All those enigma machines the Germans had might come good once again.

21. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    This lol

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #22 Fast_ian, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    :D

Love those guys.... Almost, but not quite, as good as Isobel! ;) [edit; see post #18 :)]

Cheers,
    Ian

23. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    About time. I've said over and over again. The current crop of F1 drivers are all just whiners and cry babies. Just shut it and drive. I don't see how they can be mobile stewards during the race.

Would be great if they can just ban the radio communication. And rely on pit boards. However, i do understand the safety issue involved.

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

NO CODES ALLOWED: F1 teams told coded instructions will not be allowed either - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Formula 1 teams will not be allowed to issue coded messages to drivers as a way of getting around the clampdown on team radio instructions.

The FIA has told teams that from the Singapore Grand Prix any communication that helps the driver or car performance is banned.

The rule change has been implemented through a strict enforcement of Article 20.1 of F1's Sporting Regulations that states drivers must drive their cars 'alone and unaided'.

Analysis: Impact of team radio limits

Ahead of talks with teams on the eve of the Singapore race to further clarify the matter, the FIA has made it clear that there will be strict enforcement of the rules at all times of the race weekend - not just the grand prix itself.

And they will be told that using coded instructions to drivers to change settings such as differentials, brake bias or engine mapping will not be tolerated.

When asked about the possibility of teams being allowed to use secret codes or different language, an FIA spokesman said: "No, definitely not, this is exactly what we feel infringes Article 20.1."

Although there will be 22 drivers to listen in on, the FIA has made it clear that every conversation will be monitored and recorded to ensure that there are no rules breaches.

If there are instructions given to drivers, then a report will be sent to the race stewards, with the potential for stop-go penalties or other sporting sanctions.

"It will be up to the stewards of course [about a penalty], but it is probable that it would be a sporting penalty rather than a monetary one," the FIA added.

There will also be a 'zero tolerance' approach to the matter, with the FIA stating that there should be no reason for teams to be given just a slap on the wrist if there is a breach.

"Provided we are able to lay down clear guidelines, we see no reason for warnings," added the FIA.

EXAMPLES OF WHAT IS AND WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED

Allowed

- Telling a driver when he is allowed to or meant to stop for new tyres

- Team orders in terms of overtaking or letting a team-mate past

- Warning a driver about the traffic situation during qualifying and the race

- Safety warning relating to yellow flags or dangerous situations on the track

Not allowed

- Informing a driver to change any settings on his car to improve its performance

- Informing a driver about his fuel consumption and how to manage his pace

- Informing a driver about his own performance in sectors and where he can improve

- Informing a driver about the condition or state of his tyres

- Informing a driver how best to approach the formation lap or setting changes to make better start

25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    How are they going to police it?