... 5 indications of a dieing sport - | FerrariChat

... 5 indications of a dieing sport -

Discussion in 'F1' started by asjoseph, Sep 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    #1 asjoseph, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    ... the 5 indications of impending doom, for organized motor sport:

1). churn -
    -- e.g., vacancy; sudden increase in sequent occupancy; planned events fizzing; otherwise talented drivers bumped in favor of name-recognition drivers; important people shuffled out to be replaced by administrators, ivy league interlopers, yes-men or diminished accountability enterprise managers with no skin in the game;

2). concentration -
    -- e.g., monopoly power; spec-racing (e.g., you may not field an Indianapolis 500 entry, unless you buy your car from Dallara, source your engines from the IRL, and hire your drivers through the IRL); the gang-banger era of organized motor sport, the tyre monopolies having divided and conquered, divvied up organized motor sport, into their respective gang turfs (drift car to Nitto; WEC to Michelin; F1 to Pirelli; NASCAR to Goodyear; IRL to Bridgestone); lack for viable competition (2/3rds through the 2014 F1 season, only 1 engine is capable of winning outright; only 2 constructors have scored GP victories; of the 3 drivers in 13 events having won a Grand Prix, only one has done so on his own merit);

3). quality deterioration --
    -- e.g., escapism; where form increasingly fails to follow function (e.g., RE30B; 126C4; MP4/4; turbocharged F1 vehicles don't require ram air induction); entertainment based design; slapdash engineering; lack for QA; teams hurrying slapdash designs through engineering; engineers rubber stamping designs through to fabricators; team engineers in fear of sending revisions back to their designers; marketing based distortion in design pandering to contemporary social fashion (e.g., over-sized SUV wheel applications in Formula E; Mustang & Camaro facias in Sprint Cup);

4). expedience (at the expense of provenance) -
    -- e.g., choreography; censorship; simulated competition; inconsistency applying sporting rules; knee-jerk policy; sudden rule changing; whimsical nonsensical working rules (e.g., push-to-pass; DRS; "the good 'ol boy," the "waive around"; the "competition yellow"; double-points); embedded journalists (isolation, expulsion or exclusion of free journalism);

5). divisibility (lack thereof) -
    -- e.g., jargon; rationalization; cliche; dogma; different rules for different people; special privilege conferred upon certain people; otherwise unremarkable phenomena arbitrarily deemed without basis relatively profound (double points venues) -- asj.

2. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    6). Pricing spectators out with HIGH ticket prices. :)

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    It's spelled dying, not "dieing".

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    OK, you hate motorsport, we get it.

now go away.

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    As I said in another thread, schizophrenia is a hell of a drug.

Mark

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nah, just a troll.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I was really hoping nobody would respond and it would quickly drop out of sight.

We can do this! ;)

8. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    That's asking too much for an alien.

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You guys are harsh!

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Now this one makes sense.

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Suggest you find a sport and site that makes you happy. Everything you just stated can apply to virtually any professional sport. Just the way it is, live with it or, move on.

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't understand you. You seem to have a very low opinion of organised motorsport and of racing personnel, yet you frequently post about both. What gives? :confused:

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    +1, go hang out on a Nascar website, and learn how to spell.

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    He hates that too....

IIRC, someone posted in the TS thread that he's "known" on various boards as a hater that goes as far as editing/deleting his posts once he's stirred the pot. :(

Again, I'll defer to the mods, but I don't understand why he hasn't been given a timeout for trolling. Opinions, even crazy ones are one thing, but on an "enthusiast" site what he's saying is just ludicrous. (IMESHO of course. ;))

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I second the motion.

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahahaha!!!

17. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    ... Formula E's debut in Bejing was a huge success. Arguably FiA's biggest success of the 21st century, Formula E is taking the biggest bite into F1's market segment in organized motor sport history - asj.

18. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I am right there. At the track, in Beijing. Just had a beer with a couple of Abt guys. And I can tell you one thing. We were the only ones around. The only time you noticed something about Formula-E in Beijing was when the access road to the hotel was blocked as they were still disassembling guide rails.

Formula-E is an experiment at the moment. Possibly an attempt to create something new. But nothing more. You MIGHT be able to discuss success or lack thereof in a couple of years time.

If you have any figures about market share that has dropped in F1 this weekend, please share. As I am sure you haven't, why don't you bugger off and leave the F1-section here in peace?
    greetings.

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Wow! Thanks for that! A true "inside view". Cool.

Did you watch any of it? Feelings?

I fired it up on the DVR last night, but fell asleep before it got going!.... Will try again later.....

+1

Seems he's been given a timeout...... Hopefully permanent.... :)

Cheers,
    Ian

20. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    The only thing I heard is that Heidfield crashed with Prost's son. Was it a good crash
    at least? That was the headline I heard, but regarding the race? Nothing.

21. pozziLaLa

pozziLaLa Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 3, 2014
    I think larry ellison sunk another couple mil in the bay area :: in other news.

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ??

ASJ? :(

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    A sock puppet, but not for ASJ

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, thanks! ;)

25. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Formula E is electric cars? They should start building tracks above 13,000' EL and let naturally aspirated IC cars run with them.

I assume a J/K is not needed, but then again....