Radios - Should they be outlawed? | FerrariChat

Radios - Should they be outlawed?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, Sep 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should (and how) radios be permitted?

1. Radios should be outlawed

2. Radios are ok, but not for driver coaching

3. Let 'em at it. It's all fair game

4. What's a radio? ;)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

Outside of the great LH/NR debate (pissing contest? ;) ) seems this one has aroused more emotions than almost anything else,

So, time for a poll....

- no radios allowed. Once the flag drops, the BS stops and he should be on his own.
    - radios are OK, but only for discussing strategy etc.
    - let them at it! It's a team sport and telling him where he's gaining/losing time versus his 'mate etc is part of the game.
    - what's a radio? ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Let them at it.

Will explain tomorrow. Too hungover to explain in detail :(

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I voted they are 'ok'! :)

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well IMO it should be either one or the other, bearing in mind the safety aspect, whereas I feel a total ban is not required unless for an emergency.

The down side for us with a ban, is we do not hear aspects of brake wear, gap times ect, and funny comments from Kimi ect.

Other than that I could live with a radio ban.
    Drivers that need coaching, well you argue they shouldn't even be in F1.

So would it boil down to what, "box now" and that's it.
    Or
    Continue as we are now, "where is my team mate gaining on me" ect.

No big deal to me personally, I pretty much know what drivers I feel are quick, and ones that are obviously getting the team order nod, so a partial radio ban IMO, could be circumnavigated anyway.

Am easy with it either way.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I voted for a total ban on radio.

Pit signals have been used for decades, and that's all the drivers need to get.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Interesting split so far...... I'm surprised.....

Guess I'm even more surprised we haven't had a vote for option 4 thus far - Was included for the benefit of a couple of our "newer" members...... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I've voted that they should be banned!

It would bring back far more unpredictability to the races and drivers at this level should be able to race without any additional help! - As I've previously posted, the MotoGP boys have no trouble racing without radios so why can't the F1 boys?

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair enough!

There's no doubt they *could* do it if they wanted. And the "safety" argument is a non starter as they've already got status lights on the wheel; I know they "see" yellows, greens and I believe blues & the SC too.

Another option may be they still have radios, but only Charlie is allowed to talk to them?

As I said somewhere, it's one I could argue either way. But it does seem to me this driver coaching thing is a new development; I do think that should be outlawed, and seems that's what Charlie is trying to do.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE

The Charlie only option would be very interesting. Would certainly shake it up a bit.

10. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    To dismiss the safety aspect is foolish IMO, and should not be even considered an option, why risk someones life for the sake of the show, emergency calls only, what's wrong with that, the other thing that could be a problem in clarification on whether a move made, fair overtaking, positioning on the track taking too much curb resulting in a penalty, a run off, was it a penalty drive through, apart from pit boards...it's just easier, box you keep cutting the corner bonehead.

And the last thing I want, is races decided over the board room table

The rest I can agree with.

11. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I remember at Monaco I think, where a driver, may have been DC or Mika ran through a cloud of smoke from a blown engine fire I think, he didn't even slow down and was hailed very brave at the time, or foolish take ya pick.

If there had been a driver stopped in the smoke, would a call to the driver be unreasonable telling him to slow down or stop. ..?

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Oh, don't get me wrong - Safety has to be #1. But I think safety messages can get to them other ways.

Couldn't agree more. Maybe "Charlie only" is the way to do it....

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    That's why we have yellow flags.....

If he didn't slow down, he'd have a drive thru at least these days.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    #14 sammysaber, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Tough one to call right indeed, but if team orders are allowed, fuel economy has come in, tyre degradation is still (albeit less) paramount, and you get double points at the last race, you might as well keep the current radio comms.

Rather hear Kimi/Hamilton/Rosberg's/ etc. live transmissions rather than every scenario being dissected pre race, none of which we would be privy of.

I'm always in awe of the drivers not only driving at the highest level and figuring out that steering wheel, but also dealing with the communication side of things as well, trying anything to eke out a tenth. Outstanding.

Don't think that Whiting could handle so many calls going back and forth when a safety car is out from a practical point of view.

Then again, no radio would have definitely led to some exciting scenarios.....

Can't remember where, but remember Kimi doing just that.

Best, Sammy

15. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    I don't understand. They are taking them away, but only a little bit? Next they we be using like codes in their sentences to get the message across.

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I *believe* what they're trying to outlaw is real time "driver coaching";

- "Nico is .3 quicker than you in sector 2"
    - "Lewis is 15kph faster entering turn x"
    - "You can get on the power earlier exiting turn y"

OTOH, we should still get "Isobels Classics" such as;

- "Use the magic paddle"
    - "Leave me alone" and
    - "Someone left a phone in my cockpit"

:)

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I voted yes. However, i know it's not possible. IMO, they should just communicate safety messages via radio..i/e 'yellows at La Source' .. 'debris on turns 5-6..'

The rest should be communicated via pit board. Stop spoiling them even further.

18. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Keep em. Purely for entertainment value. I like listening to them.

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for posting the pole Ian.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You're welcome! ;)

Gotta be honest, I'm a little surprised at the results too; Seems the most popular is exactly what the FIA are trying to stop! Conversely, the least popular is what they're trying to do!.... Typical FIA I guess, :eek:

From Autosport;

So, it's seems the all time classic "Use the magic paddle" is out. :(

Cheers,
    Ian

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not hungover today so here's my reasoning:

It makes **** all difference whether they got told where they can improve or not. It's all fair game and open to everyone.

They all get told exactly the same when they box and watch the telemetry. It saves a little time is all.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Thanks.

The most significant one is the start IMO since track temperature and surface can/will change a lot between Quali and race. Clutch temp is constantly monitored between the reconnaissance laps, formation lap and start to make sure the exact right bite point is selected to make a good start or not.

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If not to please the fans whatever could be their motivation?
    ;)

I don't see a return to pitboards as a viable alternative. Cars go by the pits too fast on many circuits for any meaningful information to be conveyed.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I know you're adamant they're doing it to try and "hurt" Merc, but I'm not buying that. I'm pretty sure they've all been doing it, we just get to hear theirs more because they're at the pointy end. Plus, the pissing contest between the two is really the only drama we've got right now, may as well play on it for our 'entertainment'.....

Agreed. In fact, given the 'information center' they have on wheel now I'm a little surprised they still bother! They already know their pace, deltas and so on. Almost seems like a 'quaint' leftover from the old days.

An earlier report (Autosport?) did note that 'listening to the radio has proven very popular with fans so they don't want to outlaw it completely'.

Cheers,
    Ian

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Yeah, like they've never done it before.
    Suddenly Charlie gets radio religion?
    Not buyin that.