Who's place should Vergne take next year? | FerrariChat

Who's place should Vergne take next year?

Discussion in 'F1' started by toil, Sep 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    JEV most definitely belongs in F1 (assuming everyone agrees with this point). Very evenly matched with Ricciardo last year and look at Ricciardo now - a star. His showing in Singapore yesterday (6th place) really makes the point even more clear. He deserves a seat in f1. Rediculous he was booted out for a 16 year old but thats another story...

Anyway; where should he go next year? Whos seat can he realistically hope to get?

Some talk he may replace Sutil if Sauber are alive. Will he get some money together from sponsors to make himself a more appealing prospect?

Maldanado prbly always safe with the $ he brings in. Any other possibilities? Chilton brings in money but sucks. Errikson? who wants to race for caterham though.

2. No Lotus

No Lotus Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    The guy is really good, no question. Ferrari?

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Replace maldonado

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I think Sutil has overstayed his welcome. Guttierez failes to deliver on his promis, allthough he did well in Singapore before the car called it quits. Of course Maldonado is a prime candidate once the Venezuela-money is gone. But let's have him replace Vettel and give him a chance to really show what he can do ;)

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    He couls take amy of the Sauber Boys, Chilton sucks, Loldonado sucks too but theyr wallets will probably save them.....Caheram is no place for him.....he should get a drive in a decent team like forc e india...but they already have 2 great drivers...problem is with this "youngster fever" many promissing drivers are geting trashed, in exchange for others that probably wont be as good....Jev and Bianchi both deserve far better cars....Mac changed Checo for Mgnussen...can anyone see that as an improvement?
    is Kvyat better than Jev (time will tell but i think not)

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Odds are that both Button and Mags will be looking for seats, too.
    Honda will likely want a "top" driver to partner with Kobayashi. ;)

If Sauber remains, they'll likely want to trump the Suzie Wolff media with Simona deSilvestro.

7. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    He blew by both Kimi and Bottas like they were standing still. And Kimi was trying to get by the Williams for the longest time but couldn't...

8. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well, at the risk of going over (ancient) old ground. Massa must be about due for retirement...

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Massa has been driving fine, no reason to get rid of him. I don't really think Vergne would be an upgrade.

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    They were running on the cords! He was on a nice fresh set.....pretty much the same as Hammy "blew by" a 4xWDC around the same time. They were completely helpless! Bottles in particular was driving on ice.

+1

This stuff continues to amaze me!.... The guy has one impressive outing, and should be replacing everyone from Kimi to dear old Phil, and pretty much everyone in between!

Couple of years back, it was the Hulk. Prior to that, Kobycrashy that some saw as the next coming. IIRC, even Sooty was the answer for a while! :eek:

He was soundly beaten, all season, by Smiley Boy last year. OK, It's looking like he's future WDC material, but that's a long way from Jules being the same thing! Sure, he's good - they all are (well, excluding a few guys buying their rides) but I don't see him as anything than another journeyman, ala Hulk, Sooty and many others.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    NOt sure if srs. Are you being facetious in an attempt to elucidate the idiocy of 'silly season' talk or do you really think Kobayashi at Mclaren is in the realms of possibility. Ditto with regard to your second sentence too lol.

I don't know...it was just yesterday that journeyman got seats in top teams. Webber was at RB for years and Barrichello and Irvine were at Ferrari (albeit as designated #2s). JEV probably isn't the next WDC but he deserves a seat somewhere.

ANyone know if Erricson is paying for his? Hes the worst on the grid for sure...followed by Chilton, then the pastor

12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    F1 fans and their goldfish memories :)

I will admit, I wanted Massa replaced with just about anyone when he was at Ferrari. Then Kimi shows up, and Fernando is beating him worse than he did Massa so I'm starting to be inclined to think FA is just that good and Massa is still driving at a high level.

In races both Massa and Bottas have finished, Felipe is ahead 5-4...food for thought.

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Agreed! :eek: ;)

I like Bottles - seems like a good guy. Maybe he has got what it takes, but many here are anointing him as a future WDC already. And pretty much the same folk claim Massa is a waste of oxygen.

As I said, was the same with the Hulk in particular. As you say, "goldfish memories". ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

14. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    I do not think there is a quality ride for him next season, we may be down a team next season (sauber) and the remaining bottom feeding teams will be looking for drivers who bring cash to the team.

Haas F1 team will need a test driver...

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #15 greyboxer, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    I'm putting this here just because......

Jenson Button sounded like and had the look over the weekend of a man who has just been told he's not being renewed (for completeness I've just seen a comment in the Guardian apparently from him suggesting he's staying)

Could Ron have snapped up JEV ?

16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I still think Hulk has what it takes to be a future star, FWIW

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You may be right..... However, he's starting to look a lot like another Heidfeld or Trulli, and many others of course, who were just not in the right place at the right time. Another guy that'll hang around for a long time, but never get the opportunity. Of course, it took Brawn to elevate JB from such status, so never say never!

It's definitely not all about talent, or even 'fair', that's for sure! ;)

Cheer,
    Ian

18. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    This ^^^^.

19. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  20. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    So, if we see a French duo of Vergne and Grosjean next year at Lotus (though I don't think this will happen), who would come up out on top? Grosjean would clearly be the #1 driver, but I think Vergne would offer some solid competition.

21. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    I sure hope so. JB recently has been a lame duck.

BTW - Maldonado isn't going anywhere. He brings $$ to the table.

22. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    why is JB the lame duck? Rookie Magnussen is getting whooped. If anything its his a$$ that should be on the line

23. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Can people with a law degree spell?

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    This. Will help save Lotus from it's debts without that idiot crashing the car during free practice.