Honda wants Alonso and will pay 30M to buy out Ferrari contract | FerrariChat

Honda wants Alonso and will pay 30M to buy out Ferrari contract

Discussion in 'F1' started by F2003-GA, Sep 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Honda are reportedly willing to fork out 30 million euro to get Fernando Alonso out of his Ferrari contract and lure him to McLaren.

McLaren Group CEO Ron Dennis has openly admitted that he would love to re-sign Alonso for the 2015 season when their partnership with Honda comes into effect.

Despite constant denials from both Ferrari and Alonso that the two-time World Champion will remain at Maranello next year, the Spaniard's future remains one of the most-talked about subjects in the paddock.

The frustrations, though, are getting to Alonso and he lashed out in Singapore over the weekend, saying: "Sometimes it's sad when it comes from Italy, or they create these rumours for some strange purpose which is not helping Ferrari, which is why we're all here."

The speculation, though, only increased after his comments and veteran F1 journalist and commentator James Allen says Alonso still hasn't decided where he will be next year, but Honda are ready to dig deep into their pockets to get him on board at McLaren.

"The McLaren Honda offer is there for Alonso if he can bring himself to work with Ron Dennis again," he wrote on blog at jamesallenonf1.com. "The Honda element is pushing hard to persuade him and it might be what swings it, but he will be concerned about the way the McLaren design office has flatlined in recent years. The arrival of Peter Prodromou from Red Bull is a positive and there are others, but 2015 pre-season testing is little over four months away and there is nothing to suggest that McLaren will be able to find 1.5 seconds in the chassis to close the gap in that time. Time is racing.

"According to Italian colleagues, Ferrari doesn't want to give Alonso some of the guarantees he is seeking and Alonso has told Ferrari he wants to leave. [Team principal Marco] Mattiacci said cryptically on Sunday night that Alonso was set to stay with the team 'for the moment'.

"Veteran F1 journalist Pino Allievi told me at the weekend that if Alonso wants to leave, with two years of contract with Ferrari still outstanding, then he has to pay €30 million. Honda would sign that off without hesitation, sources suggest."

Should Alonso move to McLaren, then Ferrari would have a vacancy next year and Sebastian Vettel's name is top of the list.

Allen added: "If Alonso takes the Honda bait can Ferrari get Vettel, who is earmarked to replace him, for 2015 or will they have to wait until 2016? Vettel's contract with Red Bull has one more year to run. Red Bull will certainly not make it easy for him to leave, he is linked with their sponsors like Infinti, but all things are negotiable.

"Vettel, like Alonso, clearly needs a change of air, a fresh challenge. Red Bull is in the strong position of having Daniel Ricciardo ready to lead the team and Daniil Kvyat on standby. The Russian looks an outstanding prospect, it is generally acknowledged in the F1 paddock."

From Planet F1

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Personally I think Alonso should stay at Ferrari as the horizon is very bright.

3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Knowing Alonso he will stay for 2015 and whichever team is looking
    better towards the end of the season is where he will reside in 2016 - IMO

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
  5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Good to Know I usually get my news from Autosport or ESPN F1.
    I will take these guys with a grain of salt next time :)

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D ;)

Good choices! FWIW, I'd add Sky Sports (who have ' feet on the street') and Pitpass to that list.

I don't always agree with Pitpass' editorials, but at least they're generally well written....

Cheers,
    Ian

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yep. Alonso also mentioned there is no basis surrounding the tosser's who thrive on mere speculation contrived in their head.

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I could see alonso leaving. Just have a feeling he's not happy anymore at ferrari. I'd love to see him leave and ferrari wins with vettel next year.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #9 texasmr2, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    The mood in F1 changes like the tides and I have not been truly surprised in over 30yr's, popcorn please with extra butter.

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    i hope alonso stays at ferrari.

but i hope even more that he wins a few more titles. if honda-mclaren is the way there, he has my support all the way.

the poor guy definitely deserves a few more.

11. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think deciding a move for next year would be very risky. This year is a throw away. Next year will determine where the big teams are headed as far as their engine and chassis development goes now that they've all had enough experience to see what works, what does not, what others have done, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe Ferrari figures it out... maybe they don't. But why jump into the complete unkown and potentially languish the remaining years of your career in a 6th or 7th place car if Honda and Mac can't get it right... just like Ferrari has done this year.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Finger on nose.

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I don't see him working with Ron Dennis. He's pointed out many many times Lewis Hamilton was not the factor in his breakdown in relationship with Lewis Hamilton. Which means it's Ron and Mclaren.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I would fork a couple of euros to help him leave..crowdfunding anyone?:)

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    McLaren are already have been under a rebuilding plan with Honda
    Ferrari are behind the the 8 ball and are stuck with a weak engine.
    Nobody knows what's gonna be approved for 2015 engine design
    while everyone is wondering Honda are busy designing. IMO Merc
    and Honda are going to be the only serious engine builders going
    forward Why ? Because it will be an all out spending - Just IMO

16. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I would love to see Alonso at McLaren next year. Honda potentially has one hell of a jump on the others. They really need an aggressive driver leading the team, and I just don't feel that Mag or Button have that ability.

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    According to journalist Adam Cooper via a source close to the Italian team, Ferrari are preparing for Alonso's departure and are actively seeking a replacement in the form of Lewis Hamilton rather than the more likely Sebastian Vettel.

Ferrari targeting Hamilton as Alonso replacement?

Cooper is a trustworthy journalist.

18. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I still don't understand why must he leave and go to an unproven engine supplier. And a team led by Ron Dennis.

19. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Hamilton to ferrari would be epic!

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Just as I predicted. He will go because:

Honda money
    Honda commitment
    Ferrari chaos into 2015

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I'd even become something of a fan! ;)

However, he also says;

+1

FWIW, my guess is one of them won't be back next year. And it's fairly "unusual" for a WDC to move on..... Problem there is, which one will it be?

If Fred goes, and I still think he stays, I wouldn't mind seeing Nico in red either TBH. [Dons flamesuit & prepares for "The Return of the Bonkers Fans". :D ]

Cheers,
    Ian

22. "StormBringer"

BANNED

May 20, 2014
    Greenwich/Malibu
    Lots of noise over and over.

Let me ask this which I did when at the Monza race.....What benefit is it to Alonso to stay where he is? I don't see Ferrari improving enough.

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    [quote="StormBringer";143411035]Lots of noise over and over.

Let me ask this which I did when at the Monza race.....What benefit is it to Alonso to stay where he is? I don't see Ferrari improving enough.[/quote]

IMO A minimum of 3 seasons before they are title contenders - just saying nobody shoot me:)

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mattiaci is in the press of late saying years not months. If sooner surprised I will be. FA has done his part. No shock if he leaves. None.

25. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani

Hamilton is going through what alonso did at Mclaren. As a reigning WDC he feels Merc should give him undisputed number 1 status which they are refusing. He needs to be coddled and they aren't doing it, so I could see him winning and then walking away. Imagine three WDCs with three different teams. Has any driver ever done that?