All out spending war Merc v Honda | FerrariChat

All out spending war Merc v Honda

Discussion in 'F1' started by F2003-GA, Sep 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO The coming years we will witness a battle between these 2 titans.
    Renault will leave because Carlos G is a numbers guy and won't open
    an unlimited checkbook.RB may pick up Honda if they get treated as
    a works outfit. Which Honda may do in order to hedge its bet - This
    is mere speculation and wild ass guessing on my part :) Any thoughts ?

2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Honda latests f1 engines were far from the best.
    I will wait to do this kind of prediction.

3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Honda latests f1 engines were far from the best.
    I will wait to do this kind of prediction.

4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    No I'll stick to my guns and Predict a Honda charge on F1

5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    #5 subirg, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    Honda have had a year to learn from all other engine manufacturers. If they produce a dud it will be a major shock. I predict a return to form for the McL Honda partnership next year...

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It would be foolish to dismiss Mclaren as not in contention in the near future IMO.

That's why I believe they are gunning for a recognized top driver.

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Excited about next years season maybe the engines will sound better too :)

8. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Honda will not stay long if they don't win no way they will keep spending cash to run 3 . Impo they will start to pull the plug after 3 years .

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Don´t worry, FIA will take care of them if they can´t win by themselves. The last time they allowed them to use the double deck diffuser; the other teams allowed were Toyota, which were in a similar situation, and Williams, who owed money to Bernie. The only problem is that Honda got in panic mode and quit before they could rip the benefits.

But you can bet that this time they will win sooner or later.

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Honda will almost certainly be supplying 3 teams from 2016. The Cans wouldn't be a bad choice I guess. Don't know about the other one.

I don't think Renault are going to pull the plug anytime soon. We're stuck with this formula thru at least 2020 (IIRC, maybe later?). I believe they'll stick around at least that long.

As for all out war; It can't really go that way because of the freeze, which is getting tighter every season. Once you've homologated a unit for the season, that's pretty much it. We may not like it, but that is going a long way to containing costs and stopping a spending war.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I trust you've got the TFH firmly in place? ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    i'm not so sure the PU renault will be inferior and their formula one engine supplier business is profitable since many years.
    No reasons to leave sports in short term.

13. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I'll believe it when I see it. Honda is more numbers driven than any of them hence why they pulled out when they had a WCC and WDC in the bag. Thing is, they knew they had it in the bag yet pulled out anyway then sold it for a song

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Agreed. [Although I didn't know it's 'profitable'. Is it shown on the books separately, or is that just 'the story'?]

The existing three will be a lot closer next year I believe.

Honda is of course the wild card, and I guess they'll be there or thereabouts but 'dominant', as some are suggesting, I don't think so. Particularly as they're only supplying Mclaren, and they haven't done a 'decent' car in a while now......

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'm not so sure there. If they 'knew', I'm sure the board would have been convinced to hang on another year to win it all.

I think they simply lost their nerve after the other two pulled the plug. They 'bottled out' as we like to say in England. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well I'm debating post marking this post... ermmm.

I also do not believe they knew they had it in the bag, Brawn's interpretation of the rule book did that.

BTW Brawn did very very well out of the embers of that team, ask Merc.

17. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In other words enough cash was thrown at it without results, and in some way I like that fact.

Because it takes more than just that.

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Rules are made to be broken :)
    Soon as some teams start falling behind they cry wolf
    Then the FIA changes rules so they can catch up

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'd prefer 'rules are made to be pushed..... Or even bent'..... ;)

And they all do that all the time! One of the reasons the rule books have grown so much - try and eliminate grey areas.

I beg to differ. Can you give any examples where the rules have changed as a result of someone crying wolf?

Again, it's *incredibly* unusual for the FIA to change the rules once they're released. Renaults mass damper was the last time that argument could have been made, but I've always maintained it was a moveable aero aid anyway. That it wasn't in the airstream is irrelevant.

Given their pre (and even early) season woes, Renault in particular could have tried crying wolf, but either they didn't, or the FIA told them to bugger off.....

One of the big reasons I enjoy F1 so much - the rules are stable and the same for all.

Cheers,
    Ian

20. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    One of the reasons I hated Mosley was he deliberately left grey areas in the rule book, IIRC Brawns DD was not clarified as legal and along with protesting by other teams, however the first race had already been run.

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I never talk about F1 without wearing it.

For good reason.

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

Good answer! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I could be wrong, but I thought the protest was heard ahead of the first race. Charlie declared it legal, and all the others had to try and botch something together to try and catch up.

As for your BFF, I don't think he 'deliberately' made or left vague rules. A lot of it is they're all pushing and trying to find loopholes all the time. Mclarens 'T-bar' rear suspension is a current example - Many thought that to be illegal.

Also, you've got to remember it's pretty much the teams themselves (with Charlie's oversight) that write the rules these days. Ross all but told them he had a kick ass idea and he'd write the relevant rule..... They didn't trust him I guess, and they cried foul when it appeared!

Cheers,
    Ian

24. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Am pretty certain the first race was run without clarification on the DD, I do seem to remember whinging about that dickhead Mosley at the time.

Mosley liked to change the rules or make them up as he went along Ian, he overruled CW on one occasion and I flipped my lid over it, ;) and possibly on a lot more of occasions, he just made a farce of the sport and it's rules' with his personal vendettas IMO.

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I hear you..... He certainly went a little crazy towards the end, for sure! Maybe it's the position - Balestre went cetifiable in the end too..... Hopefully, someone's keeping an eye on Todt......

I'd need check on the DD. I seem to recall suggesting our fantasy league delayed making it's picks until after the hearing, as if it had been thrown out, I, for one, wasn't going with Brawn! ;) (I did, and won both titles :) nobody else seemed to believe their testing times were legit!)

Cheers
    Ian