Vettel to Ferrari | FerrariChat

Vettel to Ferrari

Discussion in 'F1' started by TifosiUSA, Oct 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    As the enemy for the last 5 years, I'm glad to welcome Vettel to the Scuderia. We all know what he's capable of. All the comparisons to Schumi throughout his career are now coming full circle. Leaving a top team to get Ferrari back to the top. I haven't been a Vettel fan obviously but now that he drives for "us" I can only hope for the best.

Big time move and ballsy decision.

If Alonso doesn't stay with the team I hope he can get that 3rd title regardless of where he ends up. I hope he stays but if not his contributions to Ferrari have been huge. IMO he is the best of all time. Fantasic work in cars that he deserved better than.

Forza Fernando and Forza Sebastian. Forza Ferrari.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A very ballsy decision indeed. Particularly as I think Ferrari is in a rebuilding situation akin to when MS joined them. Could be many years until we see the red cars gunning for the title again.

OTOH Seb already has 4 titles and is still young.

3. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I recall strongly disliking the cocky young Alonso when he burst on to the scene with Renault and started beating Ferrari, but I warmed up considerably as soon as he joined the Red Side. :D

I suppose the allure of the most famous team ever is too much to resist, although Ferrari has been a shell of it's former self for many years now (not exactly their first dry spell, is it?). Hopefully they can turn it around, although they already had the best overall #1 driver in Fred.

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well, it was 20 odd years without a championship for Ferrari when Schumacher joined (just one cog, of course) and it didn't take long for them to start winning.

Same with Red Bull...didn't take long for them to win (relatively) and Mercedes.

All it takes is for the stars to align, and Vettel and Ferrari could be doing a Schumacher/Todt/Brawn all over again....DESPITE how badly they've been doing the last couple of years.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It took a long time for MS to win the title with Ferrari. Winning races was coming sooner but then again his predecessors won as well.

Yes, Seb could win WDC(s) with Ferrari but it will take years. I'm guessing at least 4. To me that is a long time in F1.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Adrian Newey and Brawn will also join Ferrari, Maybe!

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I was never a huge Vettel fan but the man is fast and I think will be helpful to the new team. Ferrari lost competitiveness during alonso's tenure and it's time for a change. welcome baby schumacher!

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #8 Igor Ound, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    Sometimes change is needed. Alonso was getting too much power.

Also had his friend de la rosa to develop a car, which resulted in the only car Raikkonen hasn't been able to shine in.
    Even the suggestion of the pull rod front, which Imo is causing kimi the trouble, might have come from Alonso and his Minardi days.

Sometimes it just doesn't work, look at Valentino and Ducati.
    Just a shame to see Fernando go this way, but sure in a way or another we'll see him smiling again on the highest step of the podium.

9. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Ferrari wasn't really ready to win but micheal had them in the hunt the and ferrari was in much worse shape then . I don't think anyone is close to schumi but the one vettel has over Fred is his wet weather pace ferrari win not be the fastest in the dry but if you can pull out win in rain it takes alot of pressure off .

10. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    #10 toil, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  11. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
  12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Mmmm... I think you´re going too far. WAY TOO far. Alonso has driven lots of cars without pull rod, actually their most succesful cars were not pull rod. And Ferrari is using it for aerodynamic reasons, not because of driving feel or something like that.

So suggesting that the design team used that suspension because one of their drivers, 10 YEARS AGO, drove a car that used it (without winning anything with it, BTW) is just groundless, to put it mildly.

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Staying at Red Bull and dealing with Ricciardo, THAT would be a ballsy decision.

Maybe he´s just running for the closest available shelter.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Welkome Seb, Shummy told Luca he sjould hire him a long time ago, and Montezemolo never hide he's interest in Seb, he always said he preferred him to Lewis, and with good reason IMO. I think he is the right man for the job, he will mix well with Ferrari, unlike Alonso who never worked well in the team. It´s a great chage for Ferrari, now i just hope Allison deliver a competitive car so he and Kimi can give us many victories.

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I am staggered at the number of people who say Alonso didn't get on with the team.

Is it conjecture or really true? We never heard about any of the predicted tantrums after he left McLaren.....in what way did he not work with the team? He always drove his heart out from what I could see and despite the car getting worse every year, he never seemed to lose his grit.

What am I missing?

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Even if Alonso is an alonsohole (probably he is) Ferrari would have retained him if they could. This is just business.

17. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    As Vettel drove past the stricken Ferrari yesterday at Suzuka, I wonder if he was reminded of how risky this decision is. I think he is in for the worst time of his career. The only thing Ferrari is good at right now is going no where.

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
  19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It started with the fact that when Alonso was hired, several people from the scuderia left becaus ethey simply refused to work with him...(for some reason ferrari pit stops suffered badly in 2010 firs half of the season.
    Perhaps the fact that in Monza last year he was on the brink of getting fired!! After He insulted rece engeneers by radio, Luca had Felipe wayting for him to know if he was staying or leaving, and Luca was thinking twice if he should keep him and instead sack Alonso!!!

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I understand your point about Monza, but my God it must be frustrating driving a Ferrari when you're a multiple world champion and went there to add to that.

21. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    and you know all this how?

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No that'd be a stupid decision as the team's sympathies are on Ricciardos side

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    BTW: I hope I'm dead wrong with this pessimistic outlook and Ferrari is back sooner

24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So you´re agreeing with me: he will be safer at Ferrari, even if he doesn´t win.