Clear Video of Bianchi Crash... | FerrariChat

Clear Video of Bianchi Crash...

Discussion in 'F1' started by ijvpet, Oct 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
  2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Saw this earlier, I'm astonished he's alive. Lets hope he comes out of it OK

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ouch... even if the crane was not there that looks like a huge impact no matter what he'd hit.

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Jeez. He really steamed in there, very abrupt stop too. Deep gravel may have helped slow that down rather than Tarmac?

Hope he pulls through and comes back, but that's the size of accident that destroys the drivers racing edge (like massa after his crash), Jules was someone I thought would be a future champion, hope he still achieves it

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My goodness, in order for that tractor to be airborn, it must have been a fast and hard impact.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    My thought exactly but shattered legs would have been better than what he got.

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    My goodness! What a crash. He was really coming in too fast, and he passed under the tractor. Very very unfortunate incident. I hope he can pull through this. I am really hoping to see him in our beloved Scuderia in 2016.

8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    It made me a really impression the way the crane almost got airborned! A massive crash.......

9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That was a very scary video.God bless Jules Hope he recovers with the best possible outcome

10. dinomium

dinomium Rookie

Feb 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Dino Davis
    Really hard to watch as a fan and a club racer. Once you leave the tarmac in the really wet, you often accelerate as lateral grip is gone. With as much water as was coming down, the sand traps would have been long since packed out offering very little reduction in speed. Racing with a typhoon approaching was the bad judgement here.
    I would hate to see F1 start to have NASCAR type safety car laps for every stopped car or nut on the track. Villenueve does have a point and I would agree a more aggressive safety car deployment in inclement or low light situations but not every time a crane is lifting a car. #ForzaJules

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Yet again it's being overlooked that for almost all of the race the cars were on intermediates not full wets, and cars were not leaving the circuit left, right and centre!

The rain wasn't coming down heavily (we've had races in far worse conditions in Malaysia, at Silverstone and at Spa to name but three!), and the water that Sutil and Bianchi went off on was not standing water on level part of the track, it was water that was draining down across the track.

It's tragic what has happened to Bianchi, but let's not make out that the conditions were a lot worse than they actually were!

12. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Exactly what race were you watching?

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The race in which the cars ran on intermediates!

Had the weather been as bad as some seem to think it was then trust Me, they wouldn't have been running on inters!

14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    If I didn't know he's in hospital and has undergone surgery, I'd think he died on the spot.

Doesn't seem a survivable accident at all. Speed, angle of impact and nature of the foreign object seem overwhelming. His helmet smashed against the crane at a considerable speed. Just like Ayrton Senna in 1994, even if that suspension arm hadn't pierced his helmet causing him fatal injury, the sheer deceleration against a concrete wall made him smash his head against the wall. Injuries to the head are always concerning.

Hope Jules overcomes his injuries and lives a normal life, even if it means never seating inside the cockpit of a F1 car again. His life matters the most. I'm hoping Jules pulls off a Karl Wendlinger: had a near fatal crash in Monaco back in 1994, spent months in a coma but came back very competitive and perfectly fit.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Having read some articles about the injury his family say he has, the prognosis for recovery does not look good. :(

(I seriously hope he beats the odds!)

16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    This was indeed a very unfortunate accident.

I clearly remember Bianchi's outstanding performance at the Monaco Grand Prix this year, when he collected his first World Championship points. What is more, he's a member of the Ferrari Junior Program, which imho is of vital importance, once Ferrari has been criticised in recent years for hiring established drivers and/or drivers who already are world champions, and not keeping an eye out for young talent from lower formulae nor nurturing/promoting in-house talent (like Red Bull with Toro Rosso or McLaren).

2014 has been a very sad year for motor racing: Michael Schumacher fighting for his life, Jules Bianchi fighting for his life and Andrea de Cesaris losing his life on a motorcycle accident in Rome. Hope Jules beats the odds!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

17. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes I just read up on these types of injuries. It does not look good. The tractor lifting up from the impact was scary. It looks like he hit the rear of the tractor engine compartment along the side of his head. The roll hoop was no help here as it came from the front and level.

18. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO the FIA should have foreseen this kind of exposure.
    Trouble is nothing is done until a serious accident happens
    These cars should have the ability to turn on traction control
    and ABS once they leave the track - The driver would have
    been able to better manage the situation.Just my 2 cents worth

20. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Ahh, man!... :(

It'd be harder to find the (numerous) posts explaining this so I'll just try again;

The guy in the post past where Sutil crashed waved yellow while the tractor moved through his area of responsibility (downstream of the incident).

Once the tractor cleared, his section was clear, so he correctly, and in accordance with the rules and protocols of flagging, switched to green.

Double waved yellows (as you know, meant to mean, "be prepared to stop!") were waving for at least the preceding sector, with waved yellow ahead of that and stationary yellow ahead of that. Exactly as it should be.

That they continually ask Charlie "how much do we need to slow down under yellow in order to avoid a penalty?" is another debate... This is what I feel needs to be clarified and tightened up - BE PREPARED TO STOP!

Ian

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'm sorry, and I mean no offense here, but that's maybe the silliest knee-jerk reaction that I've read so far. (And we've had a few already!)

As I said earlier, I'm open to ideas, but let's think things through.

Beyond it being very unlikely it would have changed anything here, how, exactly, can they do that? I, and I'm sure Charlie, are all ears.......

Ian

22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    +1. Simple reinforcement of existing rules, particularly around enforcing flag protocols with the drivers, red flagging races when natural light falls below a certain level and reviewing the tools and procedures for stopped car retrieval would be a good start and not out of proportion.

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    First of all your coming onto me very aggressively considering this is a mere suggestion
    How it will work ?
    Semi autonomous cars have cameras that can detect when cars leave there lane.
    Same tech can be installed on an F1 car once it leaves the track the system can
    activate traction control and ABS Which would make a huge difference in the ability
    to slow down in wet weather conditions