Can I still make it to Austin's F1 race (3 people)? | FerrariChat

Can I still make it to Austin's F1 race (3 people)?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ELP_JC, Oct 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Sorry to bother you folks, but I'd greatly appreciate your help if not too much trouble. This would be my first F1 race, so not familiar at all with the planning. Wasn't thinking on attending F1 with the V6 cars, but my brother convinced me to. This would probably be my first and last race, so suggestions which would be the best area to watch (if available, of course), if practices are worth watching (to know when to fly in), and if paddock passes are worth it, would be greatly appreciated. And also if you know where to buy the race tickets, and which hotels still have room available. We'd fly in (need to check on plane tickets too), and rent a car, so need parking advice as well. Don't have hours to spend on this, so my only chance to make it is with your help :). Have a great afternoon.

2. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    if you stay at a down town hotel, they have shuttles constantly running to and from the track, the fanfest is also down town.

3. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Thanks man. Thing is the better hotels I know are taken, so need to find another. Was hoping for some pointers to play it safe. But if not, will put somebody to check hotel ratings/location and call to see if there's availability. Thank you.

By the way, my dealer sent me info on Ferrari's deal, but it's over 7 grand per ticket, so not worth it with the current cars IMO. Remember reading the grandstands and turn 12 were the best locations, but only the grandstands are covered, so prefer that, but those are only available thru ticket scalpers. Man, I HATE that practice; don't understand why it hasn't been prohibited (and on concerts too). Anyway, might go for turn 12 since those are still available at COTA. And how about paddock passes? Are they worth it? Don't know what access do you have, and when.

4. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Hey gang, don't want to eliminate the Ferrari deal just yet, but not even my dealer knows what it includes. He said no guests included, but I remember reading it included 1. If no guests, it's out of the question. But if it includes 1, maybe. I also like to know if you watch the race from up there, or what's the deal. If you still need to buy race tickets, then not interested either. And finally, do you for sure meet the drivers, or just maybe? And how about pit lane access? Is that only thru the tour, or you can go at other times as well? Hopefully somebody with first-hand experience can chime in. Many thanks.

5. hookem

hookem Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Nigel Tufnel
    Remember it's only the MAIN grandstand that is covered. T15 and T1 premium stands are not covered.

If you don't go the Ferrari package route, then regular tickets are easy to find. They are always available at the last minute, and typically below face value. Good seats, too. I couldn't tell you if the paddock pass is worth it, since I've never had one. But you would have shade and air conditioning.

For me, Friday and Saturday are the best days. There are activities all day long, and it's much easier to walk around to the different areas of the track with the smaller crowds. And there are many cool views to take in from different spots; you'll want to move around, and those are the days to do that.

As far as hotels, downtown would be the best since you'd have shuttle service to the track. According to hairy scotsman from this site, who has been keeping track of these things, many hotels have rooms blocked until about 2 weeks before the race. Then they are released and you can pick them up at reasonable prices. So one strategy would be to make a reservation that you can cancel at a hotel available now, then check again in a week or two and see if you can get a primo downtown room at a better price.

6. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    That was an awesome tip; thank you very much :). And thank you for the rest of the information as well. Want to watch the race, but will attend the other 2 days for sure. Also want to see the Ferrari Challenge races, besides qualifying and maybe a practice or two.

The first thing I need to find out is where are the shuttle pick-up stops downtown. Then look for hotels nearby.

7. hookem

hookem Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Nigel Tufnel
    Downtown is pretty compact, so any of the downtown hotels should be OK as far as proximity to the shuttle stop. The actual shuttle stop is at the convention center, 4th & Trinity. That's also right by the DT Metrorail stop, so if you end up getting a hotel farther out you might look for something near a rail stop.

Another tip: be sure to wear comfortable shoes! Lots of walking involved from the shuttle stop at the track. And at the track itself.

Finally, this may or may not matter... but in Austin, there is usually a huge celebration for Halloween on 6th street. Like 100K people partying and displaying their costumes. So if you get a hotel near 6th street (like the Driskill or something), expect it to be loud.

8. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Thank you again. With that info, looked for nice hotels near the convention center, and the Four Seasons, Radisson, and Hampton-Inn are all booked. Only the Hilton Austin has availability at the tune of $819 per night... and the entire stay would be NON-REFUNDABLE. SOBs. So your strategy wouldn't work. Guy said ALL drivers and teams stay there, but I doubt it. Well, at least there's an option. Will look for tickets on the main grandstands before booking anything. Take care.

9. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Okay, didn't want to risk waiting since everything was booked solid on all other nice downtown hotels, so reserved at the Hilton Austin Downtown on the executive floor ($3,171 for 3 nights. Holy crap; it's like 4 times normal rates. Oh well). Booked plane tickets as well. Just have the tickets left, but will do that tomorrow. StubHub didn't have any for the main grandstands, so will have to look elsewhere. I'm afraid to buy from those outlets, but have no choice. I'd appreciate if somebody has a recommendation. Want the middle (top to bottom, and left to right) of the main grandstand, preferrably. Not the most expensive ones at the very top. But if there's a good reason for those seats, I'd like to know. We're getting it in the a$$ already, so might as well do it right all the way. Ha ha. Also will call COTA and see what's the deal with paddock passes.

I'd also like to hear from somebody having done the Ferrari hospitality deal before buying tickets. Thanks gang.

10. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Not getting much help here, but will try one last time with a specific question:

I'm between mezzanine and club seating. At club, I'd have to get seats at the last 1/3 so I get shade. Mezzanine would be a bit closer to the track than the above. But only club seem to have a view of pit lane. Called COTA and ticket prices were $1K for mezzanine and $1,200 for club before they sold out. Thru ticket scalpers, I fould mezzanine at $928 on row 2, sec 7A. But club are $1,560 and above, so the former seem like a better value. Want to know experiences with that.

Also would like to know the opinion of somebody who has done the Ferrari hospitality deal. And where you'd watch the race from. Would it be at the suites above club level? Thank you in advance for your input.

11. marlow3

marlow3 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Marlow Miller
    Here is what the Ferrari North America Challenge VIP includes...

•Access to Ferrari's new purpose-built Turn 13 Hospitality Suite
    •A commanding view of all Formula 1 and the Ferrari Challenge race activities, including practices, qualifying sessions, and the races themselves
    •Full gourmet catering and beverage service throughout the entire three-day race weekend
    •A limited number of parking passes are also available - please contact the concierge for availability
    •Dedicated shuttle to & from Ferrari Hospitality
    •Invitation to a private Ferrari event during the Grand Prix weekend
    •A unique Ferrari memorabilia Item
    •Ear Plugs and official Formula 1 Race Program

Ferrari Hospitality passes may be purchased for USD $4,000.00 per person.

If anyone is interested in these let me know, there are not many left.

12. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Thanks a lot Marlow; greatly appreciated. Hey, may I ask you a couple of questions? No pit lane tours or access? And finally, what's the shuttle for? For going somewhere else inside the track? Many thanks.

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    •Ear Plugs and official Formula 1 Race

You certainly won't be needing the ear plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. jeffashcraft

jeffashcraft Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ashcraft
    On principle, I would not take the earplugs.....

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    No guest.

Race tix incl.

There is a drivers' Q&A, but no guarantee which driver or both will show up.

Meeting the driver(s), as in like shaking hands, getting an autograph and taking a selfie together not guaranteed.

There will be a Thursday pitlane and track walk.

16. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #16 ELP_JC, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks a lot for that info. Glad I didn't get those. I'm arriving Friday. No pit lane tour. And most likely not even meeting the drivers, hence that language. Found great seats up in the club area below face value ($1K) from a PSL holder who couldn't make it. Have much better use of those 12 grand saved :).

Thank you for all your help. And hope to meet some of you at the FunFest. Or the track. Will be staying at the Hilton in front of the convention center (only place with rooms left).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hotels downtown are now becoming available again. Just like last year. Not cheap but at least no longer blocked from booking.

Ah, the powers of free markets are coming back establishing a reasonable balance between supply and demand.

Hopefully at some point the hotel managers in Austin will figure out what their counterparts in Indy eventually did as well: Skip the block and only jack up your prices. Works so much better for them and the customers

18. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I specifically asked the Hilton if they had any blocked, and said no. But don't expect a clerk to know :). Anyway, paid $1K/might a week ago directly from them, and another guy going with us told me they had them listed on Expedia for half that. I'll never going to buy from such sites ever again (a bad experience made me learn that lesson the hard way), but hope that's not true. I'd feel stupid. Ha ha. Nah. Didn't want risking a good downtown room; this will probably be my first and last F1 race (if F1 doesn't go back to NA screaming engines), so wanted to do it right.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually all my travel is always booked through sites like that. I hate dealing with hotels directly. Anyway the Hilton can now be had for less than 600, sorry.

20. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I now book everything directly (airline carrier, hotel, car rental company), and rarely spend more. This was a different deal due to that stupid 'blocking', but didn't want to risk not having a downtown hotel. Got a suite at the executive floor, so maybe not quite $600, but have no doubt cheaper than what I paid. But it is what it is :). Take care.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm sure your room is better and also you paid a premium for having the room for certain. That's worth $.

Your hotel had a McLaren in the lobby last year, so you chose a great place.

Enjoy and post some pics.

22. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #22 ELP_JC, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Whatever the case, it wasn't worth it man, but it was probably the only chance to go with car enthusiasts rather than my wife :) (she's not into motorsports). But I appreciate trying to make me feel better. He he. Like many here, I'd have preferred to spend equal or more money in Europe (or Montreal), where there's no scalping. That practice pisses me off to no end, and didn't want to be part of it. But made an exception due to being just guys. And no, the scalping/raping/gouging/etc is not going to make me have any less fun :). Hope we're treated to a good race, to feel better at the end of the trip for all the money wasted. Ha ha.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No scalping in Europe? Lol. Lots of that going on there too, believe me. Only difference is that they are not so stupid to do the blocking of hotel rooms.

Also be happy you are downtown to enjoy the fanfest.

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    From FCA newsletter, looks like plenty of seats / packages available:

1) Turn 2 Skybox
    a. Covered (shade) open-aired grandstand
    b. Beer/wine and food included
    c. Great views of multiple turns
    d. $1,250 each for 3-day pass

2) Trackside Hospitality
    a. Shared two-storied suite located at Turn 18
    b. Beer/wine/liquor and food included
    c. Great views of multiple turns including Turn 1.
    d. Private pit walk on Thursday night of event week
    e. $2,000 each for 3-day pass