Plans to lift F1's engine freeze in the hands of Mercedes | FerrariChat

Plans to lift F1's engine freeze in the hands of Mercedes

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Oct 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    From AutoSport

---------

Plans to lift Formula 1's engine freeze now rest in Mercedes' hands following a team meeting at Sochi on Friday.

As AUTOSPORT revealed on Thursday, an effort to allow in-season engine development was discussed during a meeting of F1's Strategy Group at the Russian Grand Prix.

The idea of allowing limited development was approved by the 18-strong Strategy Group - despite being voted down by Mercedes, Williams and Lotus.

With only a majority vote needed, the opposition of three 2015 Mercedes-aligned teams was not enough to block it at this stage.

But for the rule to get implemented in next year it will require unanimous support from the F1 Commission, which means a Mercedes vote against it will stop it being put forward to the FIA's World Motor Sport Council.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has said that Mercedes' stance on the situation had changed since the Singapore Grand Prix when the German car manufacturer had backed the idea of lifting the freeze.

"In Singapore the teams unanimously agreed on a position," he said.

"I think subsequently from that Mercedes changed their position.

"We have subsequently had a strategy meeting and it has been voted on the majority basis for the F1 Commision to allow in-season development."

Ferrari team boss Marco Mattiacci, who originally suggested the idea of lifting the freeze back at the Belgian Grand Prix, still hoped the change could go through for the good of the sport.

"Frozen engines, this is not F1," he said. "We had the majority of the vote to unfreeze it so let's see what will happen during the F1 Commission."

---------

Ferrari & other laggards may now actually stand a chance...

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Signing up to a freeze by Ferrari and Renault was their biggest mistake they have ever made

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Fully agreed. One of the dumbest rule too.

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The FIA needs to look at the effect the freeze has had...... namely no team other than merc will win a GP, unless they have a problem... Actual race fans no longer 'follow' the races like they used too....

For example, I used to watch every session with the TV, laptop and iPads all switched into the timing screens and track maps and watch every moment, gathering Information and trying to interpret strategies etc, with qualy building to a crescendo where it actually hurt my chest as the seconds ticked down hoping for the ferraris to put in a quick one. Now, I may or may not bother watching qualy, having looked at practice results on the web (if I could be bothered), and if I do have qualy on, mainly I'm listening as I do my chores whilst it's on in the background. More often than not, I haven't a clue who is through each session until the end, and very often have no idea who ended up where except the ferraris when I glance at the screen at the end.

Come the race, no more surround sound on, phones off, world locked out for hours. Eat my breakfast, do some ironing, bit of admin work, pause to see incidents or pit stops, then grab a coffee as the race ends wondering why Ferrari bother and hope that next time around, no one goes and announces hambone as a Ferrari driver ever.

Pathetic little engines, DRS, KERS, who really cares. The cars do not develop over the season, no one can catch up a big gap as they are tied into the mistakes they make in February, tyres last about five laps of decent performance, then it's management time, weather being the most realistic chance of a winner other than a Mercedes, and of course, the winningest merc driver still needing to moan and whine that he is being victimised if someone attempts to overtake him, and barely being able to contain himself when anything goes wrong from saying what card he really wants to play and we know at some point the part time rapper will do a Monaco and say it anyway

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Autosport reports that the 'unfreeze' will possibly be blocked by Mercedes in fear of 'cost' concerns lol!

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    With Honda coming on board Mercedes better watch its step.

Honda has sat back in the weeds and watched how all this new technology has unfolded.
    They have the advantage of seeing what works and what doesn't. If they are smart they will poach designers and engineers from the other builders and dominate.
    At which time Mercedes as well as the rest will be frozen.

Be careful what you wish for.

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    But isn't it part of the Piranha Club rules not to agree on anything and that that is an over-riding premise to such an extent that probably the only reason MB were thought to have agreed was to flush out another dissenter and that having failed to do this they then had to change their position in order to maintain this !

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    And why shouldn't they?

9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Because there's no challenges in F1 by anyone else, merc are a mile ahead, with no developments in any area, what's the point?

10. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Leave it to Bernie, he will sort it.

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    If Mercedes said "yes" before but now says "no", that in F1 language means "yes but I want something in return".

In the end for big manufacturers like Mercedes this is not about winning, but about exposure. If Mercedes wins but nobody is watching, it's useless for them.

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Pretty much sums up my race weekend as well. Very well put imo

13. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Thanks! Most boring race so far today! Mind you, got my filing done and caught up the ironing, so not entirely wasted

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Since the rules impose a number of engines per season, it makes sense to have an engine freeze too.

I think Mercedes is quite entitled to see the rules respected, and not give away the advantage it has by having the strongest PU in the field.

Who really wants to give its winning card away?

Would Renault or Ferrari accept to lift the engine freeze if they were dominating the field and winning most of the GP one season?

Do pigs fly ...

15. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Spoiler ALERT

You want to watch out you haven't spoiled the race for others as well..

16. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Spoiled what? F1 is boring, get over it

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol

18. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #18 kraftwerk, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nothing to do with the bloke that won it then eh!!, I suggest you take your own advice and stop watching/whining about it then .......:rolleyes:

Same applies to the laughing joker below :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    can't blame mercedes

they done their homework but two others whining it's kinda annoying

but annoying to us race fans knowing every weekend merc will win

20. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    All the Fia has to say is the other cars are so slow it's a safety issue that's how most of these stupid rules get pushed passed the Concord agreement

21. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Yup. The above have only themselves to blame

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I've been saying it for years; Apply a cumulative weight penalty for each race win second and third.
    Low tech but it works.
    Make it part of the "Formula"

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You're joking, right? Please tell me that's a joke......

May be Merc should be restricted to 1.2 litres next year too?

Or Ferrari allowed to run underweight as they suck so badly right now.

Damn, let Caterham run a V10, give 'em a chance.

:confused: ;)

This is not the BOP championship, where if you suck you get a helping hand.

Cheers,
    Ian

24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    There is absolutely no incentive for Merc to vote to "unfreeze" engine development. They got it right and reaped a huge competitive advantage. Now, in the name of "fairness", they need to go back to the drawing board to figure out how to stay ahead of the pack?

I agree with you, their concern is indeed valid (though it doesn't help my ox at all)

25. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Is anybody here who thinks that Ferrari or Renault would vote for an unfreeze in the position that mercedes is?
    Never in this life ;)