Schumacher - The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Driver | FerrariChat

Schumacher - The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by Chicko, Oct 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

I was browsing the web, reading F1 articles, when I managed to stumble across this:

The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Driver

It's a very moving, inspiring article from years ago, talking about Schumacher during the 1998 season. I always knew that he was extremely dedicated, but I didn't realise (or appreciate) just how much effort he put in, in order to win.

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    more reason why he's the greatest racing driver ever.

i wish f1 would remove the testing ban so someone like him (vettel eh hem) can pound around the track putting in lap after lap until the car is the fastest out there.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Michael Schumacher 1996-2000 - the highest talent peak any F1 driver has ever hit, IMO. His efforts in the 1997/98 Ferraris were particularly amazing.

Nice article, thanks for posting.

4. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    He seems like he is the epitome of a German machine.

5. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I agree. This makes the testing ban seem like even more BS.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Great Article!

7. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Having the most titles doesn't necessarily equate to the best. Plus you can't really compare drivers from different eras, especially when they had it easier. Vetter with unlimited testing would probably prove 'better' than Schumacher, since he started collecting titles much younger... but can't test. I personally think the best driver ever was Senna; he drove the harders cars to drive by far; a combination of crazy power, manual transmission, bad tires, etc. And a master even in the rain too, where he was miles ahead of his closest competitor. THAT's where you can prove your car control skills. That's why this subject will always be subjective :); can't compare apples to oranges to potatoes.

8. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Great article! Get well soon Michael.

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    What made Schumacher so special during these days was the fact that he was a rare example of someone both talented and diligent, the perfect combination for these days of unlimited testing. Very often those with more talent tend to be lazy and the very diligent people try to compensate "limited talent" (certainly all on a very high level in F1).

In most features about him the diligence is put into focus but one just have to watch the rain races in Barcelona or in Spa were he was seconds faster than everyone else to see the talent as it was not only about testing. I think you can just find similar videos in the rain of Senna showing that they were about in the same league and few come close to them.
    On the "downside" certainly Michael has something more in common with Senna: a very different self-reflection but I guess that comes with success...

What is interesting in the article is the fact that he had not much private life apart from racing, even more a reason to wish him a fast recovery so that he could enjoy his life outside the race cars with his family soon.

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    And the engine freeze. Which is why F1 isn't just F1 anymore. The team and the drivers are not allowed to practice before each races.

Anyhow, thanks for the article.

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #11 Fast_ian, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    As I've said before, saddens me to this day that we never really saw them go 'head to head'.

They were both sublime, even 'beautiful' at their best (in the rain?) Watching Ayrton in a Formula Ford was truly something to behold. He was quite simply, visibly, head & shoulders above the rest. Michael I believe worked harder - He didn't quite have that God given, preter-natural talent that Ayrton possessed.

But then nobody else has either.... (Not even Hammy! ;))

Good find anyway, thanks,
    Godspeed Michael & Jules,
    Ian

12. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Great. I'm going to read this article. But I can say now that the testing ban is clearly ridiculous now that the power plants are smaller full hybrids. How small do they have to get for the sport to get back to testing and real practice? Now is the time to return this, especially since it had such a huge impact on the competition. Think of poor Lotus and how their cars just went to crap. I think the ban was started to appease fuel economy critics.

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

14. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    F1 is a poor reflection of what it was in what may be looked at as it's zenith (in popularity at least) the 1990-2006 period. Since then, the rules have been ever more restrictive and prescriptive, teams have had less autonomy to fight and recover during the season, and the sport has become one of cyclic domination as a result.

People say that Ferrari dominated the early 2000's, and yes they did, but there were some tough battles in there, with only the end results reflecting domination..... Williams, McLaren and Renault all pushed Ferrari very hard during those times, it wasn't a walkover all the time, they had to fight.

Nowadays, we have the best car, and no chance to develop anything to fight it, hence, four red bull titles without much of a fight (go on, tell me anyone else winning was more than wishful thinking, except in 2010), and now it's Mercedes, 2seconds a lap in hand, can start virtually a lap down and still get back to the front of the grid by the end without even changing tyres.

There's the death of F1, red tape preventing the ultimate racing series being just that, ultimate........ Touring cars are more exciting, Le Mans is more exciting, jeez, my trips to the shops are more exciting!

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I can go with that to an extent, however it is very rare I actually stop watching a F1 race once it had started, but after watching MS lead into the first corner race after race I did...:eek:

16. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    What a great article - and how I remember his determination during 1996 to 2000 when the first Ferrari title was his. I really felt for him when things went wrong esp Spa 98 and Silverstone 99. I couldn't sleep for two nights after spa 98 because everytime I closed my eyes I replayed the view of DC's mclaren and the Ferrari coming through the spray and htting it, hoping that the result would different somehow the millionth time I replayed it!

17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I can't imagine it's much different now then mate, I've waxed lyrical on how my f1 watching these days is basically simply having it on in the background while I do other things, never did that years ago, was totally 110% focused on the race/qualy and consumed every minute I could see of f1. I could care less if I miss a hour or so now.

I remember back in 2003, fell asleep waiting for japan to start, and missed the first 3 laps, it tormented me that I had missed those few minutes. This year, I not only fell asleep prior to the start, but totally missed the first start, the waiting around, and woke up just as they pulled away on the restart, and took me five minutes to realise what had happened, and still didn't really care! No way that happened before like that, I was too excited, my heart used to pound with the anticipation of every race start, regardless of where Ferrari/senna/schumi was starting from

18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I can't imagine it's much different now then mate, I've waxed lyrical on how my f1 watching these days is basically simply having it on in the background while I do other things, never did that years ago, was totally 110% focused on the race/qualy and consumed every minute I could see of f1. I could care less if I miss a hour or so now.

I remember back in 2003, fell asleep waiting for japan to start, and missed the first 3 laps, it tormented me that I had missed those few minutes. This year, I not only fell asleep prior to the start, but totally missed the first start, the waiting around, and woke up just as they pulled away on the restart, and took me five minutes to realise what had happened, and still didn't really care! No way that happened before like that, I was too excited, my heart used to pound with the anticipation of every race start, regardless of where Ferrari/senna/schumi was starting from

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Find this hard to believe considering that he beat Senna his first full year in F1.

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Fully agree that the stupid testing ban leads to these boring seasons dominated by one car.

21. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So it wasn't boring when your favorite driver was romping off into the distance race after race with the added bonus of Rubens playing shot gun.......

Am only just saying mate.......;)

22. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I disagree.

We are not talking about fruits or vegetables. We are talking about F-1 drivers. You can compare these all day long.

While Schuey is not my favorite driver (it is Mika), I don't think there is even a serious issue that he is the best driver.

Ask yourself this question . . . take each driver in their prime. Put him into a random car. And that driver has one lap to get the most out of that car. Your life depends on it.

Now, who do you pick?

For most people, phrase the question this way . . . there is only one answer: Michael.

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I agree it would be hard to bet against him.

But, personally, particularly if it was wet, I'd go with Ayrton. There was an aura about him. Don't know what it was. But it was special.

And as everyone here knows, I 'love' Michael. Over his career, simply the best. But for a one lap, 'all things equal' shoot out? I'd take a chance on Ayrton.....

Ian

24. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It is a very difficult question if not even impossible to answer, in regards to comparing yesteryears cars across the years to date

What suited one driver may not have suited another amongst the greats that is.

25. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Great article!

I'm looking forward for his return.