F1 To Try New Automated Speed Control System at Austin | FerrariChat

F1 To Try New Automated Speed Control System at Austin

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Oct 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    From jamesallenF1:

Following meetings in Sochi resulting from Jules Bianchi’s horrific accident in Suzuka, the FIA and the F1 teams are to trial a new system for controlling the speed of the cars in yellow flag caution zones during practice at the next race in Austin, Texas.

The test is likely to happen at the end of the Free Practice 1 or Free Practice 2 session and is likely that it will be based on the idea of a set “delta time” for a given track sector, between marshals posts, for incidents requiring the double waved yellow flags, as the recovery of Adrian Sutil’s car was in Suzuka.

The suggestion is that the reduced speed to achieve this will be in the region of 100km/h. Bianchi was believed to have been travelling at 212km/h through Turn 7 when he left the track in Suzuka, in spite of lifting off the throttle, as was acknowledged by FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting.

It is important to stress that what will take place at Austin is just a test, it is not implementable this year as too much would need to be changed in the Electronic Control Units on the cars. This is work being done to engineer the best solution for the 2015 season.

The approach agreed for this test is the same way that the FIA together with the F1 teams developed the Safety Car delta speed system. In that case, there was a test on the in-lap at the end of practice. This test will be similar and there will be a delta time to establish through the Yellow Flag sector. The coding change required for the test should not present too much of a problem, however there will be some work to do to get set up to monitor all the cars properly.

This is another area, as with the changes on team radio messages, where next year all cars using a proper large dash display would make this easier to do too.

It is likely that when developed and implemented the delta time for drivers passing through the yellow flag zone will be very effective as it takes away the decision as to whether to lift off and by how much away from the drivers, as now happens with the Safety Car delta lap time, which comes in automatically when the Safety Car is deployed.

Drivers have been in the habit of lifting as little as possible in yellow flag zones in the past, barely a second of throttle lift. In wet conditions such as Suzuka, where the lap times are falling anyway as the conditions worsen, it is even less noticeable.

In Suzuka Bianchi was racing against Marcus Ericsson behind, who had taken on a set of new wet tyres four laps earlier and was lapping 1.2 seconds per lap faster than Bianchi. Bianchi’s intermediate tyres were over 20 laps old, so he was in a scrap, but his sector times for the three laps before the accident were fairly consistent, rather than rising, showing that the worn intermediates were not struggling to cope with the conditions at the point when he crashed.

Lewis Hamilton dedicated his Sochi win to Bianchi, who is still in a critical condition in a hospital in Japan. “It would be great to dedicate it to him and his family,” Hamilton said. “It would make a very small difference to them, but every bit of positive energy hopefully will help. We all need to be sending positive vibes that way.”

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Good for them!

Not a knee jerk reaction, but rather a well thought out attempt at doing a little research into how to make them obey the darn flags ahead of some new rules next year.

Good job, as usual, by Charlie.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Delta time solves all drawbacks. All round good decision.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cough cough ...:)

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ;)

Was going to comment that it seems you've got your wish.....

Which is fair enough. (Although, it is just research for now)

I still think they should just be penalized, heavily, if they don't obey the true meaning of the flags. But as you've said, they're racing drivers - driven to go as fast as they can and ergo can't be trusted.....

Does seem to further impose the nanny state on them. Which if it saves a life isn't a bad trade I guess.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Better to leave them to their own devices and penalize infractions in a meaningful way but short of that I guess an electronic leash is as good as we can expect.

7. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes that just about sums it up, I did mention how far the repercussions of his accident, would shake the establishment, and that the speeding under flags has been going on long before this freak accident, lessons to be learn't n all that, the easiest option is to electronically neuter them I suppose, stops the mither, same as with pit lane limiters.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep......

I do fear the leash being applied at the wrong moment though. I think Charlie is of the same mind, and no doubt they'll all raise it as a potential problem...... Losing power at the wrong time is probably as dangerous as having too much.

Get well soon Jules,
    Ian

9. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I do not think it will quite pan out like that Ian, notice would surely be given, radio, lights, flags ect then shut down, hackers ect could be the issue.

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Actually, I've never been much of a fan of pitlane limiters!..... Makes it just a little too easy IMO. They press the titty at the line and the car takes care of it for them. Shouldn't they be capable of driving under XXKPH on their own?

And given the number of pitlane speeding fines we see, seems it doesn't actually work that well consistently either.....

Ian

11. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Putting on my dog training hat I'll say that a quick correction with a choke chain is quite effective.
    ;)

12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hear you, however AFAIK, pit lane incidents have been pretty low since the introduction of them, apart from human error, and seemingly Jules under the proposed plans wouldn't be in this situation now would he ?..

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    whatever as long as they dont put cockpits on the cars

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Yeah!
    Keep them IN the cars where they belng.
    ;)

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Agreed. No argument from me on that one.

As I said, seems Charlie is on the case. Nobody better at this stuff than him. One of the few who retains everyone's respect up & down the pitlane. And even Bernie doesn't mess with him....

They'll see what happens in Austin and then we'll see some new stuff in the sporting regs next year I guess.

Get well soon Jules,
    Ian

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ;)

Where they being, or where they belong? :p

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Gosh dang Autocorrect done me in agin!

18. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 Yes agreed

LOL ...tell him skip the Englash Litetieoar lectures, they ain't workin..:)
    Yeh okay :) what's that fing yo were on bout cows...

Sorry I keep gwettin my mucking words fuddled..:)

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    We have cows behind our place. When I'm frustrated talking to you lot here and desire intelligent conversation I'm tempted to try talking to them. Couldn't be worse.
    ;)

20. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL I have got horses at the back of me, no money in milk apparently..;)

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    A very interesting piece from Dr Hartstein on the subject. I always liked the guy, and it was crazy the way Todt pushed him out, but that's a debate for another thread. Anyway, here's the abridged version, full story on his blog link below.

The full post;
    A Former F1 Doc Writes | Thoughts about motorsport (and maybe other stuff . . .)

Cheers,
    Ian

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What do they say about every complex problem having a answer that's clear, simple and wrong?