F1 set for three-car teams | FerrariChat

F1 set for three-car teams

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I hope we do not see that...Just imagine a third Mercedes in the line-up, then the others would not even fight for a podium anymore under normal circumstances. A third car would make it even more obvious that it is all about the car when you see nothing but silver racing suits on the podium, for now there is at least one other with them!

3. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    More proof F1 is on it's way out. Bernie needs to go and a complete rethinking of what F1 means needs to take it's place.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I couldn't see anything wrong with 3 Mercedes on the podium.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

My opinion entirely.

The present F1 model has to go to make room for something more manageable.

F1 rules are too restrictive: they don't allow for freedom of design, they force teams to build their cars, they ban testing, they impose strategy, etc...

Also, the money isn't redistributed fairly, and the already better funded teams receive the largest share of the TV rights.
    The top teams need other smaller outfits to make up a decent field.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Its all fun and games until it boils down to 2 teams with ten cars each.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It was almost like that in the early 50s, with plenty of Ferraris and Maseratis (mostly private) fighting among themselves.

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Bring on 3 car teams. The "minnows" bore me.

9. barndoor

barndoor Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    oregon
    Full Name:
    mr smith
    Great !
    Now we will have 6 Red-Bulls....

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The minnows used to have great roles - a springboard or a stepping stone for great drivers or good drivers. However, since the trend of pay drivers, and with the struggles just to survive, the smaller teams have lost their roles now.

11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So three Mercedes running well in front of the field with all the rest following in a distance would be better?
    This would mean that Alonso would come 7th in the Ferrari behind three Mercedes and three RB instead of 5th....Is this really what you want? I doubt...

I think F1 has to rethink how to give back the money to the teams, maybe more to the backmarkers than now. Obviously the top teams do not need the money if they are able to spend 300 Million...

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Why not?

13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Because he is Alonso-fan ;)

14. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Not really...

The chance of alonso not being picked up by one of the teams for the third car is slim to none...

Assuming that is how it works; do the teams field the third car themselves or give it to one of the other teams who then race with it. Can't imagine that would be the case because then they are aiding soneone else's constructors championship by giving them a car

Imo the rule isn't altogether bad. If we take out the slippery slope argument, it's not a complete game changer if 2-3 teams field 3 cars. Though perhaps as an interim measure until they can get a structure in place that will ameliorate the difficulties for smaller teams and make it more fiscally rewarding

15. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    This season is a write off anyway, I couldn't care less if Merc swept every race from here on out. It's been about as meh as last year but at least 2 drivers are fighting for it. Besides if Merc got a 3rd car, they would probably hire Alonso anyway. Alonso would probably take a huge pay cut if he could drive a Merc. Then we could see him smoke LH and Rosberg and it would actually be quite amusing.

The small teams just aren't interesting. As Remy noted, they simply use pay drivers to survive and never get anywhere. They used to be interesting because you would see the Jordans of the world move up the grid and showcase future stars like MS, for example. Senna at Toleman. Alonso at Minardi, etc. The only team that I can think of in recent memory that went from garbage to competitive is Force India, and that team is basically Jordan so it's not like someone started a new team and now they are getting fast.

I would much rather have young guns in third cars. You might find the next Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton. Bianchi could have been one of those guys, but unfortunately his career ended while driving for 17th place or something. What a waste.

16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Why? RB obviously does not want him and Mercedes does not need him...Mercedes has a mess with the two drivers at the moment, do you really think they want to add drama with a third alpha-dog when they win anyway???

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap, they would have to be mad to put him together with the other 2, what a mess that would be!!! although very entertaining, no doubt...

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I think you can do this with two cars as well. I think having one good seasoned driver and establish a young driver aside of him to become his successor would be a good combination. Actually this is what McLaren tried with Alonso and Hamilton...I think this would have even worked if McLaren would have given Alonso No.1 status in his first year promising Hamilton that his time will come. But as Hamilton was Ron Dennis foster-son this came to fast with the team intern battle and as we see today this easily cost McLaren the 2007 championship...I think three cars of one team makes it even more difficult to find a healthy pecking order.
    This year the artificial hyped battle between the two Mercedes works as they are far away from all the others but under normal circumstances this would become a disaster.

19. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Well I don't see who else they are gonna hire. Apparently ferrari RB and mclaren are being asked to field the third car first and then if one turns it down then merc will be asked.

RB have no one else they would hire; jev has already been shown the door and I doubt verstappen is gonna go to RB without having even driven in f1 yet.

And rumours have possibly linked alonso to merc if Hamilton wants to leave so it's not entirely outlandish. Having 2 alphas is working for merc so far so adding a third just gives me more to watch. Anyway, if RB havr 3 cars contributing to their constructors championship I doubt merc will wanna leave themselves with just 2 (If that's how the system works).

If alonso were left out of the top teams in a 3 car system I would oppose it. If not then I wouldn't mind it as an interim measure. Gives us all something to talk about; more top drivers in the same car means more comparisons can be made. I'd quite like to see Hamilton and alonso against each other again.

20. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    It's been mentioned before mny times, but I'm all for allowing single car teams again!

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As long as the car is that superior but as soon there is a competitor things change rapidly or do you really think 2007 was the best result for McLaren they could get???
    You seem to have a fetish in comparing driver xyz with zyx because they where driving in the same car for a year but again taking McLaren in 2007 I guess you and TifosiUSA will come to a very different conclusion rating the result. So even if one of them has more points at the end of the season the fans of the other one will find numerous reasons why it is like that so nothing is proven.

I personally prefer seing a top driver in car A against a top driver in car B over the season having the full suport of their team like Hakkinen/Schumacher rather then a hyped team duel like Hamilton/Rosberg.

22. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    What should be changed in F1? Give some examples.

23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    You serious?

Scrap (or at least modify) the test ban
    Scrap the engine freeze
    Scrap DRS
    Have race cars that don't look hideous
    Scrap double points
    Fix the sound
    Please no more concrete runoff
    Cheaper ticket prices
    Get a social media presence
    More fan interaction/free up where spectators can go during races
    More money to the teams
    Make tires that the drivers can push with again
    Bring back the Sunday morning warm up
    Make the regs allow for faster cars. It's embarrassing that cars from 10 years ago still hold all the records

That should get you started.

24. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    "Fix the sound" How they do this with turbo?
    "More money to the teams" Who should give this money?
    "Cheaper ticket prices" I think it's not about ticket price, spectacle became boring.

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The turbo cars of the '80s didn't sound anywhere near as bad as the current cars do.