Thoughts on Abu Dhabi's double points * * * SPOILERS * * * | FerrariChat

Thoughts on Abu Dhabi's double points * * * SPOILERS * * *

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Nov 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #1 intrepidcva11, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
    So it all comes down to the final race, no matter what happens tomorrow. Whoever wins Abu Dhabi is world champion. Even if Lewis wins in Brasil tomorrow and Nico DNF's, Lewis will lead the WDC by exactly 49 points, meaning that Nico could still become WDC by winning in Abu Dhabi with a Lewis DNF. What a disgusting rule change this was.

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Wrong. That assumes Lewis DNFs...

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    About one of the most stupid things F1 has done of late.

Carol

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 a pathetic circus juggling act.

I for one will take no notice of it whatsoever.

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It sucks...unless hamilton blew up and Rosber takes it!1:)

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Agreed. It is stupid, arbitrary and nonsensical. Why not 1/2 points for Silverstone? 1.5x for Monaco, 2x for Abu Dhabi. How about 10 points for the win and 25 points for eighth, every third race? Heck, if we decided how to weight the races after the end of the season we could have Toro Rosso win the Championship. It is plain DUMB.

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Terrible

8. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    It was done to keep F1 attractive to the last race after everything was decided way to early in previous years. Obviously this "keeping it interesting" seems to be more important than fairness in sports so this is a proof of F1s inadequacy.

The only way it will be really interesting for impartial F1 fans would be a win of Rosberg and a DNF of Hamilton tomorrow. This would leave Rosberg with a margin of 1 point in front so basically whoever would win the last race would become WDC, in this case the double points would also not change anything at all...

As far as I understood all changes of the rulebook have to be done by a deadline (in July?) so this would mean that this double point BS would be also in 2015???

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    i believe Bernie said it had been scraped for next year...after all, there was so much bashing on the rule, it would be stupoid to keep it...but stupidity seems pretty normal for Bernie...

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It was a desperate ploy by Bernie to keep his audience.

Bit I was surprised that the FIA endorsed it.

11. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    How strange that Bernie would have wanted this rule. He's the same guy who wanted a medal system a few years ago so the driver with the most wins would be sure to win the title.

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Yep. Makes no sense.

13. shimi

shimi Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2011
    sydney,australia
    Full Name:
    richi
    I don't understand
    if its not broken
    why fix it?

14. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    This rule was stupid and at least it's gone next year. The engine rules are just as stupid and have played a clear role in pushing nearly half the F1 field to the point of bankruptcy. That's even more stupid in my book but will take years to fix...

15. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #15 intrepidcva11, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Not wrong, Simon. Of course I assumed Lewis' DNF; that was to make my point about the absurdity - and basic unfairness - of the new points system. Now, check this: Lewis wins today with Nico second; then Nico wins Abu Dhabi with Lewis second. Result: Nico 360 points, Lewis 359 points.

16. 308luver

308luver Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    I hope rosberg wins today and lewis dnf just so the Abu Dhabi drama is a heads up battle vs double point game.

17. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Leaves F1 with zero credibility

18. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Maybe there will be some passing.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I too think the double points idea is stupid. But, I do think points should be awarded for pole position.

20. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    what's up with you guys? It ist not the end of the world and it's not sprinklers on track or something possibly really weird.

It was an idea that probably attempted to add some weight to maintain your equipment well to be able to capitalize in the last race. It's not some miracle that popped up somewhere, everyone was always aware of the Abu Double.

Do I like it? No. I am glad it was abandoned for next year. But we don't need to drown ourselves in tears for the last race this season.

It will be what it will be and if someone gains a position due to the Abu Double people might cry foul but it will not take any value of that.

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Is that certain? The moderators in Germany mentioned that there was no official rule change before the deadline so it might be there next year even if nobody wants that. Are they wrong (I hope so)?

22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth

23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Wrong. Check your facts and math. Lewis wins WDC under this scenario.

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I would hope that Mercedes takes extra care to ensure that neither car DNFs any of the final races. Can you imagine the controversy if the WDC is decided by the mechanical failure of one of their cars? Instead of the deserved praise for their courageous engine design, Mercedes goes down as having "fixed" the WDC, or having fast but unreliable cars; so much so that it's not a matter of who's the best driver but the least unlucky to suffer a mechanical failure.

25. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I hear you, & sort of agree..... However, if we look back over history DNF's have always played a part. Back in the day, Jimmy pretty much either won or broke down for example.

Having said that, I very much agree that the TFHB will be out in full force should one of them fail! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian