Mclaren Honda at Silverstone | FerrariChat

Mclaren Honda at Silverstone

Discussion in 'F1' started by Dino Chang, Nov 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    I dont think its been posted, i have looked.
    [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fmyxlQUQg[/ame]

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Sounds about the same doesn't it. Maybe a bit more sharp like the ferrari engine though.

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I thought this as well.

4. 1guy

1guy Rookie

May 25, 2014
    kansas city
    Full Name:
    bill
    It's a winner already with that sound IMO.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The quality of the recording is so low that I wouldn´t make any comments about the sound yet.

Toto Wolff already has complained about using a "filming day" to test an engine. Oh well...

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    He should be worried.

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Merc complaining about anyone else testing after last year's cluster F is beyond hilarious. They have really proven to be some grade A crybabies this season.

Cant tell much from that recording but the sound does seem a bit better.

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 the total politcal farce of Mercedes speak is just sickening! Overt fear of competition from anyone. Id be happy if they left. Its enough already. They have made an amazing machine but to stifle any sense of competition is ridiculous. I cannot imagine their words 2 years ago as they were LOSING!

9. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    More that 'better' (which I also think it is), it's definitely louder (at least to me). But yes, we'd have to hear them all in 2015 to definitely tell. Sound recordings are highly subjective, especially with a crappy mic.

10. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Would it not be hilarious and poetic justice if McLaren Honda won all 20 races next year and Mercedes was subjected to these ridiculous rules relating to not being to fully upgrade the power unit that they are so concerned about maintaining?

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It lives!

12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    To me it does sound louder than the current engines, at least a bit higher pitched. And this is coming from a detuned/lower revving engine for "filming" purposes?? Now I'm super curious to hear it wailing at WOT fully tuned in race trim.

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Toto is a really, really unlikeable character IMO. Class 1 knob if you ask me.

14. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    sounds nice for sure. doubt it will be that competitive though. still behind merc for sure. But that is just a hunch...

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    hey, regardless of recording equipment quality, that sound is hitting a pretty nice F1-like pitch. I like it way more than any of the sh!et on the current grid!

16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I'm pretty sure they will have a difficult first year.

17. Rosso Veloce

Rosso Veloce Karting

Feb 14, 2012
    Maryville, TN
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I have high hopes for Mclaren-Honda. I believe they will be winning races if not next year then 2016.

18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Me too on the high hopes for them. But I'd amazed if they get any wins next season. Apart from being a year behind the others - never an easy situation - let's also note Mclaren haven't done a really 'good' car in quite a few years now. My WAG is they'll be midfield & maybe just grab a podium or two if they get lucky. Anything beyond that I'd be *really* impressed.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Underestimate either McLaren or Honda at your peril. Together...
    ;)

20. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It would suck for the sport (as this year did) but I agree that would be very fitting!

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Understood!.... No under estimating here.... I just think they'll struggle to, to borrow your term, podiate, at least this coming season.

Cheers,
    Ian

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I think that either they'll be hot from day one or struggle all year. Under the current rules teams are fairly well locked into spec.
    Honda's had an extra year to both develope their car and learn from the experiences of others. Odds are that will be a real advantage.
    McLaren has been hobbled from the design stage on by MB. Despite that they've had some results. With a real partner they should deliver.

23. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes that's my thinking as well, but who can say fersure... so to quote Ian ..it's why we watch..;)

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I get the feeling that some watch just to have something to post (negatively) about.
    ;)

25. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I'd definitely not bet against McLaren and Honda. Remember everybody knows what the MB advantages are this season (unusual turbo arrangement and ERS system), and they WILL catch up, no doubt. Honda probably had more time than all others, so it could be if not up to MB's pace, the next higher up. Not very likely, but entirely possible. The first 2015 race will be very telling.