What does the F1 "engine freeze" actually mean, how much is frozen? | FerrariChat

What does the F1 "engine freeze" actually mean, how much is frozen?

Discussion in 'F1' started by GordonC, Nov 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #1 GordonC, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With all the complaints about engine freezes and how Mercedes has a locked in advantage, I figured it would be worthwhile if we all actually bothered to check the FIA regulations to see what the "freeze" actually means. It turns out that there is not much of a freeze at all. The FIA regulations always had provisions to allow modifications of components with the introduction of the new engine rules, with fewer and fewer changes allowed each year as the new engine formula matured.

From the FIA web site Home | Federation Internationale de l'Automobile , select Sports, Championships, F1, then 2015 Technical Regulations - the PDF is here: http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulation/file/1-2014%20TECHNICAL%20REGULATIONS%202014-01-23_0.pdf

It's interesting reading, but scroll way down to page 88, Appendix 4 - Annual F1 Power Unit Homologation. Here's the chart - the black sections indicate components that are not allowed to be changed that year. The freeze only reaches over 90% in 2019!

In other words - the engine manufacturers can actually change a LOT for 2015, and the exact items that can be changed are baked into the regulations already. I think they should quit all the *****ing and get to work!

Am I reading this wrong? It looks to me like anyone can change to a separated turbine/compressor configuration like Mercedes' next year, and so on.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Very interesting. Thanks for the tip.

On the face of it, not much id frozen for the first years.

I am wondering, though, if we will see the end of this formula. 2020 seems a long way away. There is so much opposition already, some of it from the main protagonists.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hopefully the mods will merge this thread with this;

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/f1/455268-myth-engine-freeze.html

In any event, my understanding is that Ferrari & Renault want a chance to homologate updates (per the "token system") mid season.

Right now, they have to submit their designs to the FIA in (IIRC) early February. Then, no changes are permitted till the following February.

What they're asking for is a chance to issue an update mid-season. The "token" system (designed to contain costs ;)) remains, but at least getting it "wrong" at the beginning of the season doesn't doom them for the entire year.....

This probably makes way too much sense of course.....

Cheers,
    Ian

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Ian,
    Agreed these could merge, I was referred to your earlier thread after I posted this. Same content, same conclusion.

It makes sense that it's the mid-year update that Ferrari and Renault want included... but then Mercedes will do mid-year updates as well. They really should just buckle down and get it right by February! There's no reason for the current engine inadequacies to still be present for the start of 2015.

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep. No big deal, just an ongoing discussion. ;)

Couldn't agree more!

The question seems to come down to 'how many opportunities should they have'?

I don't think it'll happen, but can you imagine the whines from Lauda should Honda come out with a world beater next year?..... :eek:

Part of me would actually enjoy that little 'about face'. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While many areas are modifyable they may have to pick and choose among them to keep under the "weighted" figure.

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep, sure.

The more I get to (somewhat ;)) understand what they're trying to do here, the more I think they may have just about got it right!..... :eek:

Some stuff involves *major* changes and ergo *huge* expense. Bore spacing is an obvious example. Changing valves is another that means huge new tooling.

Beyond those basics (& a few other things), and within reason (the token system) they're pretty much free right now as far as I can see.

I'll don the flamesuit now and say what they're trying to do actually makes a lot of sense!

Cheers,
    Ian

8. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David

As always the devil is in the details. The weighting may be more restrictive than it seems. If not why would they be lobbying so hard?

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I don't think they're lobbying against the weighting system. The guys that get it 'wrong' in February want a chance to put it right in mid-season I feel. (Or at least have a chance to get a little closer?)

They're still somewhat 'shackled', but at least no longer completely doomed maybe? Conversely, throw away the 'tokens', make it 'free', and then we'll really see some cost explosions......

I'm actually chuckling to myself about what will happen should Honda appear with 50hp more than the others next year..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Any particular reason to think that its mid season flexibility that's the issue?

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    or you could circumvent the initial restrictions like Honda.

Learn from other peoples mistakes, endlessly modify the engine outside the rules and jump in midway through the boat race and storm to the top.

clever or foolish?

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think you are right; Honda will benefit from having miss the first year of this new regulations.
    Honda had more time to develop his power unit, and also, without any test restriction.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that Honda unit has been quietly gathering some mileage at the back of an anonymous sport car on some deserted track in Japan.

13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Nonsense. How about you actually LOOK at the charts posted, and try again? What exactly is Honda circumventing? They'd have to be coming up with a really trick engine block or crankshaft to have any advantage over what the other 3 are not permitted to change. If you think they're coming up with a really trick engine block or crankshaft, then go read the linked Technical Regulations and see how the dimensions and materials are constrained.

EVERYTHING else is open to be changed by everyone currently competing in 2014. Honda has no advantage from an additional year of development. Period. Every other team can do the exact same development for their 2015 engines. All the current engine manufacturers could also have been running 2015 engines on the dynos for months as well, same as Honda.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1111

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    From what I'm reading, Merc believe they'll still have an advantage come the next homologation deadline, and can then maintain that advantage for the whole of next year.

Conversely, the other guys want another crack of the whip mid-season.

It's almost, but not quite, like the often claimed but rarely true, mid-season rule change.

I guess I can argue it either way;

- If I'm Niki/Toto I want to 'contain costs' by restraining an all out development war. Once homologated, no changes are permitted for the whole year. Easy to say when you've got the best unit of course....

- If I'm Renault/Ferrari I want a chance to correct my mistakes and catch up.

But, I don't think any of them actually want unfettered development from race to race. Then costs really would go crazy as I said before.......

Cheers,
    Ian

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You have to wonder if conventional engines with in season mods wouldn't be cheaper overall than these hybrid contraptions with the freeze.

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep. Exactly what I've been trying to say for months!...... ;)

Yep!

Furthermore, Honda don't have a year of on track experience under their belt either. Sure, we can assume Uncle Ron has fed all the available data from this season back to them, but there is *no* better test bed than actual racing. Can't be duplicated on the dyno. Can't be duplicated, as some seem to think, by running the thing in some test mule on an abandoned airfield or whatever. Experience counts IMO.

Having said that, as I said before, I'd love for them to come up with something unique & world beating just to watch Lauda start *****ing for a mid season change! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hey Gordon C, did you get out the bed the wrong ****ing side!

So what your saying is everyone except Mercedes has now gone back to the starting point because clearly Renault and Ferrari got their engine design completely wrong, not only mechanically but aerodynamically too. Perhaps you are not aware the overall engine packaging influences the aero efficiency massively. I bet most adopt the Merc design who are now one year ahead in development in both the aero and mechanical field.

Honda have an advantage ..period because they can adapt without ANY rules until they step into the arena.

Cost restrictions ...BS

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  20. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #20 GordonC, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Nope!

Not at all what I'm saying. In reply to your post claiming Honda was circumventing rules or constraints, I pointed out that the other manufacturers are barely constrained at all for their 2015 engines because very little is frozen, and all the engine manufacturers can do just the same amount of testing and development work as Honda all 2014 season long for their 2015 engines. I'm sure Mercedes is doing a huge amount of work to further optimize their engine as well.

It's certainly true that Renault and Ferrari have a lot more work to do, changing design philosophy to follow Mercedes... but your previous post had nothing to do with that topic, you were claiming that Honda had some unfair development advantage - which is not true. As Ian continues to point out, there is no substitute for track running experience, which all but Honda are getting this year.

21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Don't twist things to suit your argument, I said

or you could circumvent the initial (meaning :- existing, at the beginning) restrictions like Honda.

As far as I am aware Honda are / were not bound by any of the 2014 restrictions. They had an advantage by not making the mistakes that have blighted the other engine manufacturers

And how do you know Honda are not track testing, that is pure speculation on your part .

22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I'm not twisting anything.

Of course Honda is not bound by 2014 in-season development restrictions that apply to the 2014 competitors with respect to their 2014 engines.

Honda is not developing a 2014 engine, they're developing a 2015 engine. There are no constraints to be circumvented on 2015 engine development, by Honda or by the other 3, aside from the engine block and crankshaft for the other 3. Neither Honda nor the other 3 are bound by the 2014 mistakes - they can nearly freely revise for 2015 all the blighted designs that were mistakes in 2014. Honda is not circumventing anything with respect to development of the 2015 engine - the 2015 engine development rules (aside from block and crankshaft) are the same for Honda and MB, Ferrari, and Renault.

Apologies, I was not clear - when I said I agreed with Ian, it was with respect to this statement where he mentioned track experience but specifically said "there is *no* better test bed than actual racing".

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Honda is not developing a 2014 engine, they're developing a 2015 engine.

Well I hope you are not a Honda development technician!!!!!!!!!!

24. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    :confused: For which F1 season do you believe Honda is developing their engine?

25. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Do you honestly think Honda starting designing their engine this year!!

They possibly started way back in 2012 {with other} or earlier and have been developing it ever since, taking advantage of other designs along the way.

What advantage Honda have is that they can "modify their design" completely or start with a fresh piece of paper if necessary. As far as I am aware the engine isn't registered until 2015.

They may also have a better solution to MB, who knows? but it just doesn't lay with the engine design, many other factors influence how this unit is dovetailed into the next generation 2015 car.