A vision of the future of F1 ? | FerrariChat

A vision of the future of F1 ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Nov 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Chevrolet Unveils the Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo

Chevrolet Unveils the Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo - NEWS - gran-turismo.com

Chaparral Racing 2X Vision Gran Turismo: LA Auto Show Unveiling

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufruRqSaVxk]Chaparral Racing 2X Vision Gran Turismo: LA Auto Show Unveiling | Chevrolet - YouTube[/ame]

I know it's only a mock-up that doesn't have to satisfy any technical regulations, and the principles are a bit far-fetched, but some ideas are very good: enclosed wheels, enclosed cockpit, 4-wheel drive, 4-wheel steering, etc... Not too sure about the driver's position though...

That's how I would like F1 to develop in future...

Not doubt that would seem like an heresy for some.

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    F1 meets Tron's light cycle. Very cutting-edged and futuristic. I need to check it out on Gran Turismo.

Very interesting concept. It would dramatically change the way drivers drive, but they'd adapt.

3. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    That driving position does not look comfortable at all, especially when you look at the helmets sticking out like that. The drivers must be really lifting their heads if they are indeed belly down.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If you look at the driving position of sidecar racers, it's not far from that.
    Alternatively, the driver could be on his back and looking through a periscope, like some do at Bonneville.

Apart from the driving postion, which is a bit too extreme, there is a lot that could be adopted from that concept.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You lost me at enclosed wheels and enclosed cockpit.

Whatever this claims to be, F1 it no longer is.

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So GM wants to capitalize the money they spent at Chaparral 40 years ago.

Too late, probably Jim Hall wishes that he got their attention when he was doing real races, not now in videogames.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    This might as well be how racing will evolve in 100 years or so. A fixed virtual platform where manufacturers wil need to develop their vehicles strictly abiding by the laws of physics and fat kids driving them back home. Bet Ecclestone would still be there to claim his fair share of the pie.

8. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Not enough real estate for sponsorship logos on those cars.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

F1 had enclosed wheels before.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Enclosed wheels

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyiZUru2deE]Auto Union Typ C Stromlinie AVUS 1937 n 33 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6SEeCqRgys]'54/'55 Mercedes W196R Streamliner - YouTube[/ame]

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I know that. They even tested enclosed cockpits.

And they abandoned both ideas again. Luckily.

I know you think those are great ideas. I think they are absolutely horrible and destroy the formula of F1 turning them into Le Mans cars.

If it happens, good for you. As far as I'm concerned, I would give up on F1. After having followed it for the last 40 years.