V6 engine cost | FerrariChat

V6 engine cost

Discussion in 'F1' started by ago car nut, Nov 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I read in Auto-Week that Marussia owed Ferrari for un-paid engine cost. It also said that the cost of the V8s of last year was 8 million dollars, and this years V6 24 million. WOW a big difference for engines that sound like crap and are not too popular with the fans.. Boy do I yearn for the years past with the screaming V12s and V10s. I have been a fan of F1 since 1964 when I was 14 years old.

Ago

2. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Is that dollars or euros

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Dollars US

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The $$$$ is in the hybrid electric bits. Massively pricey stuff to build and develop.

I am actually very much on board with Horner who believes twin turbo engines should be used as the single turbo arrangement with the common electric motor/turbo shaft is just insanely complicated and expensive. That said, even if they moved to twin turbos that still means a completely new engine for everyone which tells me that if they are going to have to develop a new engine then it might as well be something awesome like something naturally aspirated.

5. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Bottas might get Lewis

6. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Another stomping lap from Nico. Impressive. That said, he clearly sets up his car more for qualy than Lewis does