All rookie lineup at Torro Rosso | FerrariChat

All rookie lineup at Torro Rosso

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, Nov 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Carlos Sainz jr will partner young Max at the Baby Cans next year.

Can't help thinking two rooks is not a great idea, but there we go......

Cheers,
    Ian

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Max will be too busy popping his spots and playing with himself in his room. Can you imagine the tantrums when he's on the clock......... 'Grrr, I don't want to, you can't make me, I want to be first...... I hate you' all the way through qualy and the race.... But then he will jump the start, throw a moody look, and put it in the wall just because his mummy wants him to tidy his room

He looks like a damn hooded dipstick

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not a big fan of young Max, I take it!?..... ;)

The little he's done so far looks promising. And some of 'those in the know' claim he's the biggest talent we've seen in years.

We'll see soon I guess. Wish they'd have kept Jules around as a benchmark if nothing else.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    There seems to be enormous pressure driving at Toro Rosso, and that team has enough scalps to show it's not necessarily a good move getting a job there.

Let's see, Sebastien Bourdais, Scott Speed, Alseguieri, Buemi, and now Vergne got the bullet to make room for younger talents.

So far, only Vettel and Kyat have graduated from TR.

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    and Daniel.

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I just can't take him seriously when he looks like the weird kid at school who eats his pencil lead and had his head flushed down the toilet by the cool kids. Maybe he will be a star, I for one just hope he doesn't have a teenage tantrum and get killed at the wheel, taking anyone with him

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly my feelings. He would've been a fantastic benchmark.

Oh well.

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Max is young and should be test driver for a year. He did not win his series title this year. There is no assurance F1 will be a good experience for him.

Since he cannot drive a normal car he cannot promote road safety within the FIA program. Nothing at all, other than opinion makes him qualified for F1.
    I wish him a safe and educational rookie season.

9. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Out fishing ??

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He won't learn a thing as a ''test driver'', there's barely any driving involved.

I've seen the kid race and he's got awesome awareness of his car placement and where others will be, much better than I've seen of many more experienced drivers.

I agree that a safer bet would've been an extra year of GP2 or FR3.5 to get used to faster cars (and relevant tires for GP2). Seems he's a quick learner though...first time out in an F1 car in Suzuka and he was highly impressive.

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    This is the entire purpose of the TR, give new drivers a chance in a ride that isn't just a moving billboard, but can go for points. I'm glad to see a team capable of scoring points keep bringing in new faces.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yeah, giving them a chance and then spitting them out if they don't deliver fast enough.

Let's be honest about it, a seat at Toro Rosso has meant the kiss of death for several promising drivers.

Recruiting so young drivers will break up a few careers, I gather.

I think Toro Rosso recruit drivers who are far too young, before they can prove themselves in other (lower) categories. And once you have been labelled a F1 failure, it's curtain for another chance in GP2, FR 3.5, etc...

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    An all-rook team would normally be a bad thing, with no development drivers.

But as the STR9 would be the RB9 in a different paint job, ... ;)

STR is an artifact of the "no testing" fiasco. Since there's no "test program" to mature young drivers, the "go fail on TV" slots were created.

All in the name of a "budget" series that failed to stay on budget when they decided to "go green" with the ERS fiasco.

Just another symptom of a mismanaged series.

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Didn't STR field two rookies a couple of years ago?

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sainz seems a solid driver but far from a stellar one, indeed i think Marko wa snot to convinced oin signing him, but i beliebe he brings big money, probably from cepsa.....to ban da Costa doesn't have any money because he was a lot better...

16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Would you rather those spots on the grid be filled by pay drivers funded by their communists countries bank roll? You'll get longevity(providing the government holds up).

There really isn't a good chance to make money and have a career in GP2, getting the chance to make $250K+ and drive a decent car with a Ferrari engine for two years seems a much better deal even if you never race an open wheeled car again, compared to paying $$$ to race a GP2.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

From a team point of view, enrolling teenagers because they are cheap, and then sacking them after 2 years if they don't deliver doesn't seem a constructive policy.

From a driver's point of view, acquiring more experience in lower categories before "bursting" sensationally in F1 before your 18th birthday with very little experience seems a better proposition.

I am not too enthusiastic about sports promoting too young individuals who end up "retired" or "washed-out" very quickly. Tennis, athleticism, gymnastic do that; I don't find that very good.

18. Abbey

Abbey Karting

Dec 1, 2014
    Yes. Buemi and Alguersauri. Now they are doing that again. But everyone in Toro Rosso has started as a rookie in F1, no?

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Not Vettel.....

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well, besides Ricci, Vettel, and Danny Fiat, the whole model of STR is a failure, and is responsible of killing off many young F1 drivers dreams.

21. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Young F1 driver's dreams who never ever get to race a decent F1 car in their life because the rides are tied up with the same few rotating drivers Except for Torro Rosso or bringing a huge mammath bank roll.

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Completely and utterly disagree.

STR brings in young drivers to F1. Red Bull evaluates if they're any good. Most of them are being given at least 2 seasons before a decision is made by Red Bull to either keep the driver on at STR, bring him to RBR or let him go. If the kid is good enough other F1 teams would have noticed and could hire him to race for them.

If this is not the case, either there are no positions available or he's not good enough they'll keep him on as a test driver or he can play in a different racing series.

Fact is, that without Red Bull actually spending deep into 8 figures each year just to have a B team to help young drivers into the sport. On top of that many of the kids that race for them in lower series are having years of racing paid for them by Red Bull, not leaving them to spend many years trying to find a couple of sponsors or having to quit halfway through a season because lack of money because one or two sponsors drop out, such as happened to Robin Frijns. Frijns has been offered Red Bull money at least twice in his career that would've funded GP2/FR3.5 etc, but he choose not to. Last year in GP2 a couple of sponsors couldn't fund him anymore and he ended up without a car. Had he signed the deal it might have been him in STR this year alongside Verstappen.

Red Bull gives a fantastic oppertunity to young drivers to show their talents to the world and pay through the nose for it. They either have it or don't...and even if they don't have it for the top seat in the #1 team, most end up racing in WEC or other series now and getting paid very well for their trouble.

Money to sponsor kids with the hope for an F1 seat is getting harder and harder. Red Bull's programme is fantastic to have and we should be grateful that they do it and not pull the plug on it. It actually pisses me off a little that people continue to belittle the programme without really looking at what it does. Obviously not all their drivers can get the #1 team seat, that's a ridiculous expectation to drop for instance a 4x champion.

Thanks to Red Bull for doing this. Lets hope they continue.

24. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Red bull has been trying for years to sale that team so why hire and pay big money to drivers . The only reason to do that is to move up the grid and how much higher can they move with a ferrari engine . They spend probably 70 million to operate the team and to move the team forward you're going to have to at least double that