Red Bull trophies stolen | FerrariChat

Red Bull trophies stolen

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Dec 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    WOW! Who does that?!!? I mean, why? The underground market might be nominal?

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's pretty damn obvious to have as well. Doubt they're worth much if anything molten down because I don't think they're pure silver/gold whatever.

Bizarre.

4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Russian Mafia stole them and are going to use them as wine Goblets :)

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Mmmm...... Red Bull have said that Vettel can have one of his Championship winning cars, but only once he has left Ferrari! - Did they tell him the same thing about the trophies he won with them?

Sebastian Vettel: Where exactly were you at the time of this robbery?

On a more serious note, how much research does it really take to discover that the major components of these trophies are not made of valuable materials (in fact, most of the modern trophies are plastic, wood, glass etc., and so are pretty much valueless in scrap value), and those that look to be silver or gold are only plated.

You can't sell them anywhere as it would be obvious where you got them from, and I highly doubt you could ransom them back to Red Bull as I doubt that they would pay up for them (they can simply afford to have replacement replicas made - and as noted in the article, most of the trophies are replicas anyway!).

Frankly, after all the planning and nerve that has been taken to carry out this robbery, in real terms it's one of the most pointless, high-publicity robberies there has ever been!

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So one of the cars used for the job was a Mercedes...

What's Niki Lauda alibi?

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Downloading their hard drives would have been worth millions

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

When Mika's house burned down all his trophies where in there as well and apparently he got them all replaced.

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Who of you guys was it?
    I know that there are a lot of people here thinking that Vettel/RB did not deserve these but just taking them away from them is one step to far...

Let´s hope they turn up again but I would think that this was an ordered stealing and they will be never seen again...What a shame

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Monsters !

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A trophy collection stolen on order for one of these obsessed Japanese collectors.

These freaks hoard artworks, trophies, medals, paintings in secret vaults for personal viewing and encourage crime by paying huge prices to satisfy their addiction.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Probably not if they reach their intended destination.
    They will end up in a private vault and never re-surface.

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    And if that's the case, whoever ends up with them will have a load of replicas worth hardly a fraction of what the originals are worth, just as Red Bull will have when they have new copies made.

As I say, value-wise, it's one of the most worthless and pointless robberies in history!

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not sure if the Adrian Newey comes with a USB slot (although I won't be surprised).

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's not the value that attract obsessed collectors, but the rarity of what they have been able to acquire.

It already happens with unique and expensive classic cars that are stolen on demand in Europe/US to end up in private collections were their new "owners" will never be able to display them, share them or show them. Their new holders are simply happy to look at them in secret, knowing fully well that if discovered he faces years in jail.
    Same with paintings, jewels, sculptures, artwork, etc...

16. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    ... a smash and grab, for trophies? Not likely.

The trophies a red herring, most definitely, that crew was after something else (e.g., bugs). Far more to this than meets the eye, Red Bull corporate have no choice but order a top-down electronic sweep of their Milton Keynes facility, for eavesdropping devices and whatnot.

No room for argument, security at Red Bull's Milton Keynes facility is breached. 5 gets you 10 it's Wolff and Lauda behind this break in - asj.

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J

Unique and expensive classic cars, paintings, jewels, sculptures, artwork etc., etc, that get stolen to order are usually original, rare and very valuable items.

In this case, it is not valuable, rare originals that have been stolen, it's replica's of the originals that have very little value and can easily be remade! (and I suspect will be made ASAP).

Red Bull will be far more upset about the break-in, the damage caused to their building and the loss of trust in Human nature that they have encountered, far than the trophies that are gone.

18. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It was vettel!

19. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I seriously doubt that this was a "bugging excercise" under the cover of a smash and grab!

After the initial crash through the window/door or wherever, the alarm is going to be raised and the nearest Police patrol car will be on it's way to the headquarters. That means you most likely have 5~10 minutes maximum before the Police are on scene.

In that 5~10 minute period, you would not only have to find and gain access to the right locations to place your bugs, you would also have to make them undetectable, ensure that they are operational and then make your escape back through the headquarters! - Sorry but that just ain't gonna happen in 5~10 minutes!

Frankly, I don't even believe that this was a "stolen to order" robbery!

My suspicion is that this is just an amateur bunch of muppets who have absolutely no idea how little these trophies are worth and are now finding out that they've pretty much wasted their time and effort!

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    See post #5! ;)

21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Boom

22. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Shocker!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOMQfyP1E8o[/ame]

23. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  24. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ha.

Everyone thought of that. It's funny to think of, but we all know it wasn't him.

25. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    not a robbery, a kidnapping.
    insurance company will pay to get them back.