... Fernando's heaping helping of humble pie ~ | FerrariChat

... Fernando's heaping helping of humble pie ~

Discussion in 'F1' started by asjoseph, Dec 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    #1 asjoseph, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    ... Fernando had a choice: stick it out in Maranello; risk retiring a has-been? Or, suck it up, swallow his pride, serve himself up a dish of humble pie in making his return to McLaren, for two more realistic shots at the tile, with Honda power?

"Pressure's on! Handle it, handle it!" What's he going to do?

Brushing McLaren personnel aside, muscling his way into McLaren, heavily armed and insulated, clad his Italian entourage emigrating with him from Maranello, Fernando would like you to know, it's for the following reason:

"... and now I arrive, to finish this job I started, in 2007. This was the first priority, to come back."

Well, I want to thank you for setting me straight! A dichotomy, splitting McLaren International right down the middle, unofficial name change for Fernando Alonso's side of McLaren's garage: Scuderia-McNando - asj.

2. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    They came to him and offered him big bucks to make the switch. It was McLaren swallowing pride, if anyone. Not Fernando.

3. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Don't bother feeding the trolls..

4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    ... The Bullcrap ~

5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Let's set you straight, jo:

Here's what BBC Sports' top F1 writer reports about Rob Smedley, who knows a little bit about F1:

Before joining Williams this year as head of performance, Smedley spent 10 years at Ferrari, gaining three years of first-hand experience of Schumacher and spending his final four years as Felipe Massa's race engineer, with Alonso on the other side of the garage.
    "Fernando is the very best driver of his generation," Smedley says. "I would go so far as to say if not the best ever. He is that good. He brings that much performance to the team. I am a massive fan of his.
    "To have Fernando as your team-mate, as most people have found out - Kimi Raikkonen has certainly found out this year - is not easy. You are talking about very good drivers who sit beside him on the other side of the garage. I don't think there is anyone in this paddock who could live with him."

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    #6 nsxrebel, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Good, good....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Alonso always finishing ahead of Button is not assured. The question is whether they will be battling for first place or eighth, but I suspect the latter.

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    If McLaren continue their form from this year, they will be battling for 5th, maybe even 3rd-4th on a regular basis.

9. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    The Honda can barely do a lap at this stage. I'm thinking it could turn out fast but unreliable. Or even worse; slow and unreliable!

10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Curious how long itll take before a "button sucks" thread appears.

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Ignore is your friend....

This is the guy who claimed Tony S deliberately KILLED a fellow racer.

:(

12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    wow, did he really claim that??? lol

13. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
  14. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    We'll see. I just want to see good drivers in good cars. The disconnect lately has been frustrating. And then I heard about Honda's reliability trouble. Double Crap! How can one of the hybrid kings foul that up? Well, when we learned about MB's awesome CF cartridge cover and the outside, or rather inside the box thinking, we can see how complicated it really is. I just hope everyone has a cold side compressor and some decent experience to stand on.

15. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I think Honda will be ok. It was really just the first test and not a complete shock that they had isses. The advantage they have is that they have a clean sheet of paper design and might not be as far off of the Mercs as everyone who's stuck with what they have.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    If Honda is equal to Mercedes of this year it will be an achievement. Of course Mercedes will also move on from their excellent basis in 2014. McLaren was the third Mercedes team behind the factory team and Williams.
    So the obvious is that the car has to be better than this year because the powerplant might actually be less competitive relatively speaking.

17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agreed. I'm not expecting McLaren or either of their drivers to be in serious contention for the title in 2015. I suspect they might have a season similar to Red Bull's 2014 if they're very fortunate - engine difficulties at the start and finding reliability throughout the season.

As you rightly point out, McLaren was amongst the teams with the best engine in 2014 and yet didn't win a single race. On the other hand, Red Bull had a garbage power plant going into the season and yet managed to win - though they arguably had the best aero/chassis package exiting 2013. I suspect McLaren are going to struggle in 2015.

That said, I am exited to see Alonso and Button in the same car and to see their relative performance levels. While Alonso is a very good driver, I suspect Button is severely underrated.

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Well to be fair to Honda, they did shoehorn their power unit into a McLaren designed for the Mercedes power unit. You try and take an engine from one manufacturer and shove into another car and try to make it work with those strict limitations of space that they have to work with, and see how well you can do. Wasn't it Red Bull that had cooling problems with a car that was designed for the Renault power unit?

Either of the boys winning with McHonda is what I want, but I'm very much interested in
    Alonso v. Button
    Raikkonen v. Vettel

19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Now Alonso is back to the " My idol when i eas litle was Senna, my toy cars where Senna's Mclaren and i had my kart with his colours" instead of "when i was a child all my toy cars where red" lolololo what a hipocrit, keep sucking up to uncle Ron, maybe he'll get your tire pressures right this time, lololo

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Easy, Pedro, easy...he has left the Scuderia, what more could you ask for?

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Another entrant in the F-Chat troll race to the bottom.

23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Unrealistic to think Honda will be equal to Mercedes next year? "Impossible" is the more likely characterization. Don't forget that for all Honda's racing glory (Senna, Prost, etc) their last F1 venture was a disaster. In fact, all Brawn had to do was get the Honda boat anchor out of his car and his (relatively) same team won the 1st 6 or so races & both F1 titles.
    It is inconceivable to think that Honda is going to come in and challenge Merc right off the bat. They may, however, challenge Ferrari, I'm sad to conclude.

24. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    This IS Formula1, ANYTHING is possible. Realistically, maybe not.

25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It's déjà vu all over again! :D