... revisionist sentiment flourishes @ McLaren ~ | FerrariChat

... revisionist sentiment flourishes @ McLaren ~

Discussion in 'F1' started by asjoseph, Dec 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    ... have a look-see, if and when you find time:

F1 Reader - Dennis points finger at Hamilton for 2007 issues

"... it was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen," time to erase history, and rewrite it in fashion with contemporary circumstance, as per Ron Dennis, what that happened in 2007 is now officially Lewis Hamilton's fault.

George Orwell rides again! -- asj.

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Typical, another load of crap - this thread, as are all started by asjoseph, is full of BS and a waste of time. I'm only posting to publicly call out the load of crap. asjoseph claims that McLaren and Ron Dennis are trying to revise history and blame Hamilton for the 2007 driver issues, asjoseph says McLaren now states "what that happened in 2007 is now officially Lewis Hamilton's fault."

Meanwhile, what Dennis actually said, taken from asjoseph's own link, is "But to go back to that period, you look at the chemistry. We had Lewis, a young guy who was understandably perceived by many people as the chosen one, but also someone who had immaturity. If you go down the 'who struck the first blow' route, actually I would say Lewis had his role to play in starting this process which escalated".

So, stating that "Lewis had his role to play in starting this process" is perversely interpreted by asjoseph to mean that Dennis really means "it's all Hamilton's fault". Sorry, but Dennis acknowledging what everyone who watched Hungary 2007 qualifying already knows, that both drivers were out of line in their actions, is nothing new, nothing revisionist, and nothing different. Dennis doesn't absolve Alonso, he simply states that Hamilton also contributed to the problems. You're shocked by this admission?

What a hyperbolic load of crap, from asjoseph. No surprise.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Correct....but Lewis started it. He appeared to think he was quite entitled back then. I'm still in awe of Alonso and his team's quick thinking in the timing of the punishment he handed out to Lewis by parking in the pits. Perfect timing to the second...and all on the fly! Amazing minds.

How Ron let Lewis get away with it is still beyond me.

4. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004

+1
    Very well said, both of you.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #5 DeSoto, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    I think the "but he started it" is a quite childish excuse to avoid "that issue of 2007". Probably at McLaren they´re having a lot of doublethinking now.

Anyway, I don´t know if they´re going to win or not but I think that, at least, they´re not going to try to kill each others this time, because:

#1 Ron is not in full control now (some say that he even may be out if he doesn´t get some funding soon to buy stock). The new guys were not there in 2007 so won´t have any bad feelings about that.
    #2 Button is not Hamilton.
    #3 Alonso is older and hopefully wiser.
    #4 Most probably they won´t have a winning car soon. People don´t get so excited when you´re not fighting for a win so they´ll have time to set the etiquette within the team.
    #5 This time they all need each others. McLaren doesn´t have a wonder boy to replace the ex-world champion and Alonso is too old to try risky moves.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They all had their role to play.

Hamilton was quicker than expected, interteam favoritism or no. Hamilton then did his bits to throw fuel on the fire (not letting Alonso pass on something they all agreed on before), Alonso then looking like the biggest **** of them all by pulling his stunt (I can see it was a quick reaction now, he probably should've let the team handle it but we don't know how deep the favoritism was back then already). Ron for being unable to manage two cocky drivers...Perfect storm.

Alonso isn't the easiest to deal with, and evidently neither is Hamilton. So far the only driver he hasn't fallen out with is Kovalainen, and that was because he wasn't very good so there was never any issue about him being beaten...

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    never thought of that....true!

8. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Oh cmon... Button and hamilton get along just fine. Rosberg made his own bed, same with alonso (in regard to their relationship with hamilton)

9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #6. Alonso is beginning to hear the clock tick on his career. He wants another WDC (or 3) badly... He's hungry... If it's in his sights,... How ruthless will he be?

If Alonso is within fighting distance of the WDC,... we may not have seen anything yet.

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

You dont know at all. Define 'get along'. None of us know.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Didn't take long before he came along.

Obviously ham did no wrong in the Mclaren war with Alonso :rolleyes:. Button and Ham got along fine when they first started together but over those 3 seasons it slowly fell apart. Hamilton acted quite immature most of the time and Button was definitely the grown up in that relationship...did they have an all out war? No. But it was pretty obvious that Button lost respect for Hamilton the person over that time. I really can't be bothered to hunt down all the articles and youtube videos re that relationship because Toil has made up has own mind already (Ham is an angel God who does no harm and everything I say is wrong because he is always right). Ham/Rosberg is well documented.

So in that sense; Ham has only gotten along with 1 teammate and that's one that was of little use in F1 and was therefore dominated.

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Lewis also started all the crap this year, saying all kind of stupid things agains Nico...and Merc didnt move one inch to shut his mouth...but they publicly destroyed him after a racing incident in Spa...they destroyed his confidence and handed the title to Lewis....wich seemed to be what thjey wanted all along....

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    And when Alonso decides to walk away from McLaren and there's a possibility of Hamilton returning, then it will have been Alonso who pretty much started it all! :rolleyes:

At the moment, Alonso is coming back into the team and so it suits Ron to load the majority of the blame onto Hamilton to appease his incoming driver (A bit of sucking up to him basically!)

The one thing Dennis has not admitted is that he, as team boss, made a complete pigs ear-hole of dealing with the situation and actually failed as a manager!

He lost control of his drivers and his team and made a mess of it all!

What he did do well though was to demonstrate the art of management and convince everyone that none of it was his fault and that there was nothing he could do to sort it out!

Blame deflection is quite an art in modern management! ;)

14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I am not sure whether this was their intention (and we will most likely never know) but I actually agree with you what it did to Rosberg. Not sure whether he could have won the title anyway but at least this made things not easier to him. No matter what, Hamilton came out better out of their small psycho-war so he achieved what he wanted...Mental strength is the key Rosberg has to work on for the next years or he will loose again.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Nah, rosberg needs to take a lesson in how to defend/attack properly. If he'd known that he might just have won the title...Suzuka/Austin was like taking candy from a baby. There was nothing wrong with holding ground in Spa like he did, I suspect the team simply told him to yield if/when lewis was at a certain length behind/next to him. Wolffie's smile when Rosberg overshot the chicane at Monza said it all IMO.

Had he held defended in those races, it might have been him with the title. So what if Wolff sacked him after, at least he'd have a title and Wolff would be unmasked for the snake he is :).

16. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    You didn't bother to read the linked article, or ANY of the articles about the McLaren drive announcement, did you? Dennis only said "If you go down the 'who struck the first blow' route, actually I would say Lewis had his role to play in starting this process which escalated". Is that the majority of the blame? Hardly - Dennis is famously very careful with his choice of words, and means exactly and explicitly what he says - and he said "had his role to play in starting the process which escalated". No more, no less - a share of the blame.

You REALLY ought to read the linked article or any of the articles about the McLaren driver announcement - because Dennis admitted and acknowledged exactly those points.

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Life really is too short to read Ron Dennis statements!

18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hmmm... if you can't be bothered to read what Dennis says, then you might want to refrain from making absolute statements about what Dennis has said...

19. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Hamilton has shown that he continues to be immature. Just look at how he handled himself at key moments of the 2014 campaign.

"We're friends" became "No, we were never friends we just know each other" then turned to "I'm so grateful to Nico, we've been friends for so long blablabla"

"Nico did it intentionally" became "We respect each other, I trust he didn't do that on purpose blablabla"

Then at Abu Dhabi, Nico actually hit out at Hamilton and said he could also do something about the race, and that's to drive cleanly himself.

Attitude is infectious, and I have to say, Hamilton's attitude & maturity suck monkeyballs, STILL and STILL just as toxic as before.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Could not agree more.

What he should have done is immediately pulled LH into line for not sticking to the qualifying deal. This is what started it all, but yes agree that Alonso could have dealt with it considerably better. One assumes that he was pissed off and let his emotions do the thinking. Pretty emotional sport this motor racing.
    Pete

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

As if it will change-F1 :)

23. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Whatever happened in the past, drivers do mature as they get older. I highly disliked Hamilton in his early years at McLaren. I'm still not a fan of his but I don't dislike him as much as I used to. He has come a long way.

Same thing with Alonso, I was a bit indifferent to him in his Renault and McLaren days, but grew to like him once he went to Ferrari, and it was evident the team loved him.

Button, well he has always been a gentleman from what I recall, so I foresee no beef with him and Alonso. They are both experienced mature drivers that will work well together IMO.

24. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    ... denote at McLaren how, as time goes by, everything's slowly becoming more and more Lewis Hamilton's fault, and less and less Fernando's:

F1 Reader - Ron: Lewis played big role in 2007 debacle

Things are so bad at McLaren, now they're dissing blame upon a driver who hasn't been there, more than two years! -- asj.

25. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ok...finally you posted something even *I* think is stupid! That's been discussed and it's not what Ron said.