Nico/Keke Rosberg, Dad MIA? | FerrariChat

Nico/Keke Rosberg, Dad MIA?

Discussion in 'F1' started by okiedude, Dec 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I'm a fairly avid F1 fan, watch all the races, read Planet F1 everyday, to stay in touch.We were talking in the shop yesterday, and I brought up the fact that you never see Keke at any of the F1 races, in the pits with Nico. Nothing, never or am I just blind? Everyone else agreed. If you don't see at least 3 shot's of Lewis's dad with a headset on,every race, it's an off day. The whole paddock mourned the passing of Jenson's father. Yet Keke seems transparent.
    Are Father/son estranged, Keke banned from F1? Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I've seen him in a few races but I suppose that, unlike Hamilton and Button seniors, Keke knows that he already is a F1 star so he doesn't need to steal the thunder from his son.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They are not estranged.

Keke was at a few races this year in the pitlane.

4. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Keke occasionally appears in pre/post race interviews on TV here. I guess he simply prefers to stay in the background.

5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I don't think that's fair to say about Hamilton's/Jensen's dads. The cameras seek them out, not the other way around...but even then, showing a father supporting his son is not a bad thing.

Keke probably just established not to focus on him because, as a former WDC, he would steal some of his son's thunder.

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    They could avoid the cameras if they wanted to, but in fairness I was too harsh: Hamilton senior managed other drivers, so staying in the spotlight was good for his business; and Button senior obviously was just having fun.

7. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    OK, I guess I've just missed it, or our wonderful NBC coverage is limiting that.
    Glad to know he's still wandering the pits on occasion.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Managing is not quite the right word. Unless you meant he managed PdR out of a few million, then you're right on the money.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for clarifying your statement, as I was about to blast it! :) I think Button's father, in particular, was genuinely proud of his son, and just enjoyed being around what he was doing.

To the OP's point, I think Keke was never much of a public figure, by both temperament and choice. I imagine this is probably more true today than when he was driving.

How do you tell a gregarious Finn? When he speaks to you he looks at your shoes....

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Papa Smurf only ever missed one of Jenson Button's GP races (through illness), and was immensely proud of his son, of whom he was his best mate!

He was much loved by absolutely everyone in the World of F1 and never sought out the cameras or the press (in fact he preferred for them to leave him alone and concentrate on Jenson).

However, if they approached him, he wore his heart on his sleeve and his enthusiasm (and disappointments at times), were plain for all to see - He was a genuine F1 fan! (as well as being the biggest Jenson Button fan ever!).

He was no attention seeker (unlike certain drivers entourages), and he will always be remembered with great affection by all in F1 and will be forever missed!

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    keke lives in monaco. why would anyone leave?