LdM as Bernie's successor?.... (Pure speculation, but....) | FerrariChat

LdM as Bernie's successor?.... (Pure speculation, but....)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, Dec 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

Just posted on Bernie's site;

If the rumors are to be believed, Paul Walsh has already ruled himself out of the running for CEO. Peter B-L is not going to do it.

So, could the (re)appointment of Luca be setting up a succession plan?...... Sweater boy would ****! ;)

As I said just idle speculation, but it does kind of make sense given his background and experience in the sport. And we know he's one hell of a fine politician.

Cheers,
    Ian

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I was just about to post this in rumors. Wow this is intriguing. Ya know, ol' LdM has a history of powerful Italians in his lineage. Though Uncle Sweater may have won a battle. LdM may win the war.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117190

3. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I really hope this is true, it would be good for Ferrari, and it would be good for F1

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I hope not.

5. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Why? He's proven to be great at running an organization successfully.

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I guess I'd kind of like to see it. Despite being a "clown hack lawyer" he's done pretty well over the years. ;)

I can see him being a decent leader of F1 - He certainly knows his way around, but I'm not sure how good he'd be for Ferrari....

- Does he harbor any bitterness towards sweater boy?
    - *If* (& it's a *huge* if) he was to do it he'd have to be seen to be 100% neutral. May even need to be 'harder' on Ferrari than the others (?) similar to JT at the FIA in some ways - Many thought he'd be good for Ferrari too.......

Cheers,
    Ian

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #7 4rePhill, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah but how crap was Ferrari's record under LDM's leadership? :p

At least now they have a far more consistent and definitive course that they're following!

There's no more wishy-washy decision making going on, they're following one plan only now! - Sack everyone!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ferraripete

please don't get me started on LDM. Simply not a fan.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    So are you a fan of how things are now going without him?

10. ferraripete

phil,

it has been a long time since I was happy with the way things have been going at Ferrari. answer: I am no more happy of the Ferrari direction than I was under luca in in the last 15 years.

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Fair enough! (although I thought 2000~2004 were pretty good :) )

12. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Ok I understand you don’t like Ldm. You’re not the only one. One of my friends with a Maserati thinks he was pompous and acted like an aristocrat having been descended from one (true), political (true), however, did Ferrari thrive under his leadership? Definitely yes.

13. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    You either love him or hate him. I myself think he's great. I know him from Scuderia Ferrari Club which I have been working on since 2006 and all along the way he was very supportive and just the kind of guy who can get you to exceed your own normal ability. He lived the passion of Ferrari, that's why Enzo picked him.

14. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I think he was great as well, and represented Ferrari in the way that Enzo originally intended. His character traits aside, he turned what was a company making shoddy under performing (for the price) sports cars to the highest quality most sought after high performance sports cars in the world. Some people here in these forums were saying that he was just a figurehead, but I disagree completely. He pushed back when Marchionne wanted to raise production to 10,000 cars a year because he understood that the Ferrari brand has to represent exclusivity, and look what happened, he still managed record profits, and yet still got canned. Its a shame as he was the direct link to Enzo.

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Will it be a conflict of interest given his recent involvement with the Scuderia?

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Conflict of interest? Like when Jean Todt left to head the FIA? That obviously didn't seem to impact Ferrari all that much....

17. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

18. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    They were, no doubt, good years. Entirely different dynamic and space apparently though.

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Oh..geez..i forgot about that. JT is so quiet i kind of forget he exists..

20. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Is there anyone else?

21. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I would think that LdM would have a rather large conflict of interest in being Bernie's successor. WAAAAAY too many years with Ferrari for him to be completely objective and unbiased when dealing with them in judgment calls.

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    As conflicted of an interest as one team making all the ECU's in the series or what about team members managing drivers careers...? Conflict of interest is the norm in F1.

23. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Marchionne would still have the trump card of simply pulling Ferrari out of F1. Game, Set, Match.

24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    He wouldn't, couldn't do it. Ferrari's core is racing. It's whole business is around it.

25. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    The 84 year old Bernie being replaced with some young blood in the form of 67 year old Luca?

Joking aside, they could do a lot worse than him.