2015 new chassis/engine rumors thread | FerrariChat

2015 new chassis/engine rumors thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferraripilot, Jan 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Dates have yet to be announced for unveils, but there's lots of conjecture rolling around. Showings usually start to happen late January. Engine development and specifically how much have they closed the power gap to MB will be the big unknown until Oz qualifying. My guess is 2015 will be a repeat of 2014, but at some point during 2015 I fully expect the Fia to allow other teams to develop their engines during the season regardless of what Mercedes is saying.

Mercedes have announced their car will be ready for its first shake-down well ahead of Jerez testing. Mercedes 'on target' to run new car in January - F1technical.net We know MB and Bosch? have developed a 500bar injection system and that alone is worth nice bump in power, and it has also been said MB have a big upgrade for their electrical storage components. This speaks well for Williams too.

Mclaren-Honda rumors circulating that the Honda engine is particularly thirsty and Honda want the development ban at least partially lifted already. Prodromou is highly capable and Mclaren have a nice team assembled but that power unit will take some time to properly deduce. One thing is for sure, this new Mclaren will look more like I'm sure what RB11 was going to look like. That new front wing Prodromou designed and tested with Mclaren was a clear indication that is the direction they are going.

Ferrari will be 'reconstructing' this year, but I believe mid-way to late in the season they will have their act moving in the right direction if not sooner. Ferrari will play it close to the chest this season but I won't rule them out of having more podiums than they did 2014.

Ferrari rumors:

- Front pull rod gone
    - Rear pull rod revised similar to Allison's Lotus design (which was pretty much Costa's design - woops Luca)
    - 100% MGU-H energy recovery gain (better)

Red Bull will continue to decline until they see Renault making significant gains in performance. There is no sense in dumping cash into a chassis with a broken leg that just can't be fixed by anyone other than Renault.

Lotus will be better this year, more competitive with Force India and Sauber who will also show more life. I expect these three teams will be fighting it out mid-field along with the occasional Mclaren/Ferrari although I do not expect Mclaren/Ferrari to be there for long.

Williams will be good, but not as good as 2014 as other teams deduce the formula a bit better. Williams just hasn't the numbers to develop at the level as they are still a mid-size team although I could be very wrong, just a guess.

My guess is Mclaren/Ferrari/Williams will eventually be regularly fighting it out behind MB for most of 2015. Meanwhile Haas will be developing their car for 2016, and that will be interesting to watch.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Omnicorse keep saying pull rods will stay on the Ferrari. Not the best source but they're really confident. They say also red bull's style nose coming to both Fezza ana macca and Merc GP will be chrome silver, like this year mclaren's, who otoh are still unsure of their colours, evaluating different sponsors.

3. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    At least the bad nose designs are being cleaned up with new regs.

-F

4. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    That was supposed to happen in 2014 and look what happened. I'm just hoping that somehow a sack with mass dampers hung under the current nose doesn't appear as a solution.

5. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Everyone's nose will be most similar to the 2014 Ferrari nose as theirs is the only one that was close to the 2015 regulations. Omnicorse tends to be less-than reliable at best!

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #6 Igor Ound, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    That's true. Still remember them saying mclarens would be orange last year and that Mattiacci reached the agreement for engines' unfreeze months before it actually happened under arrivabene, but their director recently wrote in the editorial that, "believe it or not" Ferrari will keep the pull rod.
    And just now they came out with an article saying that Honda will not be allowed to develop in season but will have to stick by the February homologation deadline as all others did last year. Any truth in there? Sometimes they do predict/guess the right things ;)

P.s. Autosport agrees. McHonda are doomed!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117259

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I hope Honda are competitive. I have zero faith in Ferrari for next year. It will be more Mercedes power up front and hopefully Honda keeping it close. Im not sure about Renault at all. Horner does not sound optimistic for 2015 just yet.

8. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Not sure if I understand the details exactly but I'm sure Honda just got screwed with this engine unfreeze for 2015 that the FIA just conceded to.

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
  10. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is conditional good news for Ferrari, MB and Renault. But, Macca cannot race without using a homologated PU. Honda has no homologated PU. They must have their PU homologated at least before Oz and perhaps before the first test. Ferrari, MB and Renault already have homologated PUs. So they can start the season with the 2014 homologated lump and submit for 2015 homologation later. I don't see that they can race an updated 2014 engine. The choice seems to be 2014 PU or 2015 PU, not 2014.01

But poor Honda are stuck with what they get first shot out of the box.

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Yes and no. Honda have Mclaren's data to work from, which must be a sticky subject for Mercedes as they don't know what they have or have not told Honda about their own unit. If Honda has a motor bearing a strong resemblance to the Mercedes unit, don't be surprised, and wait for sparks to fly from MB HPE. Popcorn

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And I hope that the cars sound better!

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And if that happens I will definitely turn off F1 forever.

The sport needs this copying/borrowing of ideas. It is how we move forward. There is no copyright drama as we are not talking production models ...
    Pete

14. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    It would most likely be a patent issue not a copyright issue. Both copyright and patent stand irrespective of whether there is a production line our not.

Lotus patented some brake bits a few seasons back.

Also, IMO, teams should most definitely continue to be allowed to patent if they want to prevent copying.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No I do not consider there to be a place for patents in motor sport. How else can we improve the breed without other teams seeing a good idea and taking it further with their implementation of the concept.

This has been the corner stone of F1 since the beginning and an important part of what got us where we are today. Remember the original Lotus, ground affects ... Williams then taking the idea further, etc. There are millions of examples of this, millions!
    Pete

16. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Patenting has always been available and has been used in motor sports racing including F1, a recent example being the Lotus brake-balance system.

Teams can choose to patent or not, there are pros and cons to each.

As you say, historically, patenting hasn't been used much in F1 because it's application, until recently has been focused on F1 itself. That will change dramatically with F1 now being focused on relevance to production car manufacturers.

17. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    F1 teams can develop engines in season after FIA admits loophole - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Everyone will benefit except Honda

Formula 1's current manufacturers will now be allowed to develop their engines during the 2015 season, after the FIA accepted there was a loophole in the regulations.

Mercedes' rivals Ferrari and Renault pushed hard in late-2014 for F1's engine freeze to be eased to give them more time to introduce much-needed upgrades, rather than having to complete all changes to a pre-season deadline.

But with Mercedes standing firm and refusing to concede much ground, it appeared that Ferrari and Renault's hopes of extra time were dashed.

However, as AUTOSPORT first revealed in December, the situation changed dramatically when it was suggested to the FIA that the engine rules did not actually stipulate when a final engine had to be lodged for 2015.

Although the FIA had always been under the impression that new engines would have to be homologated for the first race, this was never explicitly laid down in the rules.

An FIA spokesman said: "It was always envisaged, although not explicitly stated in the rules, that manufacturers would have to deal with modifications on the engine within the constraints of the rules, and then submit their 2015 engine [at the first race].

"It is simple, but when you read it [the rule book], it doesn't say that unfortunately."

Ferrari's technical director James Allison brought up the matter in a technical regulations working group meeting with the FIA at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, and there were further discussions on the subject at a Strategy Group meeting before Christmas.

With the FIA admitting that the wording of the regulations was open to interpretation, it has subsequently told teams that the "most logical and robust" way forward is to accept that there is no actual date for 2015 homologation.

It means that manufacturers now have the option of introducing upgrades to their engines throughout the season - as long as they stick to the 32 development token limit that is laid down within the rules and do not exceed the four-engine per car limit for the campaign.

In a note that was sent from the FIA's Charlie Whiting to all teams over the Christmas period, it was made clear that the upgrades would be allowed to come on tap at any point over 2015.

"As it is not specifically stated... when a power unit may be modified in accordance with appendix 4 [of the technical regulations], we feel that the weighted items (32 in this case) may be introduced at any time during the 2015 season," said the note, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT.

Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren-Honda, Abu Dhabi F1 test, November 2014
    "The basic homologated power unit will remain that which was homologated for the 2014 season, including any changes made in accordance with paragraph 1 (c) of appendix 4 [of the sporting regulations]."

NO DEVELOPMENT FREEDOM FOR HONDA

The interpretation that allows Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault to bring in developments over the course of 2015 will not apply to Honda because it is a new manufacturer.

Although the regulations do not specifically state dates for the Japanese car maker to submit its homologated unit, the FIA is standing by its view that it must stick to the February 28 date that the current manufacturers faced last year.

The Whiting note added: "As the existing manufacturers were obliged to homologate their power units by 28 February 2014 it would seem fair and equitable to ask a new manufacturer to homologate their power unit before February 28 2015.

"We therefore consider this to be a requirement for a new power unit manufacturer."

HOW THE FREEZE RULES WORK

During discussions to frame the new turbo V6 regulations, an engine freeze was agreed to prevent costs getting out of control.

Once a power unit design was lodged with the FIA on February 28 2014, changes were only going to be accepted during the season for "reliability, safety or cost-saving reasons."

Mercedes F1 engine cover
    However, each winter a limited number of modifications would still be allowed.

The scope of the change would be limited by a 'token' system that related to the individual components on the engine and its hybrid systems.

The entire power unit is made up of 66 'tokens' - which are weighted individually between one and three depending on how important they are.

Ahead of 2015, five of these tokens were 'frozen' completely - but there was scope to review the 61 remaining items if a manufacturer felt improvements were needed.

However, it would not be allowed to change all the parts. The rules are clear that only 32 tokens - approximately 48 per cent of the power unit - could be used for 2015.

The issue surrounding the recent FIA clarification relates to when these tokens need to be used by.

One view was that it had to be done by the first race, but Ferrari and Renault have successfully argued that a loophole in the rules means there is no deadline.

Longer term, the restrictions on how much development can be done increase each year.

So for 2016, 38 per cent of the engine can be changed, going down to 30 percent in '17, 23 per cent in '18 and just five per cent for '19 and '20.

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    One thing is "borrowing ideas" and another one is stealing confidential data. Everybody (even me!) works under confidentiality clauses. If the Honda engine is a clone of the Mercedes, then somebody has been talking too much and Mercedes would have reasons to be angry.

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not as much as they'd like. MB kept a lot of data from Macca for just this reason.

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Agree. Mclaren said in the past that once MB had a works team Mclaren were not treated to the same raft of data as previously, and with these new engines I bet it was to a extreme.

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    +1

McLaren's engineers will not have any detailed information about the internals of the Mercedes power unit so it would be nigh on impossible to copy the engine (and I suspect the last thing Honda would want anyway is to stand accused of copying the Mercedes engine. They will happily copy the engine/turbo layout as it is the best solution possible, but they will not make a Mercedes "replica" engine).

As for patenting in F1, whilst it does go on (McLaren had various patents for its "F-duct" system that prevented rivals from simply copying the idea directly), the engineers can usually find a way to replicate the ideas whilst not infringing on the patents (sometimes their solution is not as effective as the original idea but they still mange to stay within the patent Laws).

Can you imagine the advantage Ferrari would have (eventually) had if they'd put extensive and restrictive patents on their Formula one semi-automatic gearbox and gear change system designs that stopped any other team using a similar arrangement?

(In reality, the FIA would have probably simply banned the semi-automatic gearbox to level the stop the advantage).

22. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Even if they were privy to all of the MB design, Honda would only be able to produce the 2014 MB PU, albeit with whatever enhancements Honda saw fit to include. Honda would certainly not know what development plans MB had been working on since 28 Feb, 2014 because those improvements never made it to Macca.

That said, one would have to think that Honda was aware of the design characteristics of all three PUs, but they had to begin their fundamental design work before the first race of the 2014 season. So I think anything they learned from MB, or Ferrari and Renault, was more likely to be an influence rather than a fundamental of their design. Time will tell just how clever they were to join the party one year late.

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Honda will have learned more from Ferrari's mistakes than from Mercedes' successes.
    ;)

24. chemistry84

chemistry84 Karting

Feb 12, 2014

You mean letting Alonso leave and subsequently hiring him instead? ;)

25. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    I wouldn't be surprised, while a bit of a stretch - if i'm reading the guidelines properly, it is the other way around. Honda, on the street level, has been a dominating force in low volume high output configurations. Let me see if I can find better clarification as to what aspects are considered part of the "power unit".