Beltoise RIP | FerrariChat

Beltoise RIP

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Jan 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Although his win in the BRM at Monaco was memorable, I'll remember Beltoise driving the Matra with the V-12 engine in 1968. Here is a video of his old teammate Henri Pescarolo driving the car in an Italian historic hillclimb event. Just listen to the sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFUMnV_zml8

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's a very sad new. I met him a few times in the 60s.
    Beltoise was one of the artisans of the French motor racing renaissance in the 60s.
    He started winning in F3 in a French Matra against mostly British, Italian, or Scandinavian drivers. Then he moved to F2 with the same success, and finally to F1.
    His career is linked with Matra, although his only GP victory was on a BRM.
    Lou Stanley called him to lead BRM, that says it all.
    It can be said that Beltoise was an unlucky driver.
    His career slowed down after the loss of brother-in-law Francois Cevert.

What is not commonly known is that Jean Pierre Beltoise was badly crippled after an accident in 1963, and had lost some mobility in his left-arm, which had been set at an angle. This was quite visible if you got near him, but Beltoise never made much fuss about his handicap and soldiered on in spite of it.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very sad, I greatly enjoyed interviewing him at his house in Neuilly sur Seine in 2007, he really wanted to give the best possible answers which I really appreciated. A humble man from a simple background who went very far despite the injury without which he would have continued in F1.
    His wife, sister of Francois Cevert was there and the likeness was amazing.

RIP Monsieur Beltoise.

4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    A very clever Man and a humble pilot.
    The beginning of France formula one renaissance.
    RIP.

5. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    RIP champion.

6. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    RIP Jean-Pierre

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 :(

I still remember him at Brands in the Matra. What a sounds that was! We knew they were coming out to join us in 'the country' long before we saw them....

RIP,
    Ian

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    He was considered for a while during 1975 to drive the upcoming Ligier-Matra, but was superceeded by Jacques Laffite in the end; Beltoise was already 38 in 1975, and Laffite was "only" 32.
    And of course he had a serious mobility problem in his arm, due to a motorcycle accident (he was a keen motorcyclist). Some thought that his win in 1972 in Monaco might have been slightly helped by the fact that the steering of the car was less demanding this day, due to the heavy rain.

Rgds

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It does not really matter now that he has passed but for the sake or accuracy it is an accident at night in the 1964 Rouen 12 hours on July 4, on four wheels, not two, which severely injured his arm and caused it to be set, frozen at an angle convenient to hold a steering wheel.

Le site de Jean-Pierre Beltoise

His site is very nicely put together and for those who don't read French (stay away from Google translate it is beyond useless) some of the photos are really special.

Best regards,

Marc

10. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    I was at Monaco in 1972 to see him win. It was my first trip there and as a kid I didn't care about the dreadful weather and what, in hindsight, was a pretty ordinary race. I stood out in the rain and soaked it in!

Always had a soft spot for the BRM's - I thought they were the best sounding V12 ever!!

RIP JPB

John

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I was at Watkins Glenn 1976, my 1st F1 race. Remember the Matra's coming out of the keyhole! Fantastic sound. What's with the u-tube of the car almost taking off the door of other race car? Remember now how wide the track on these cars were. My favorite F1 cars are the pencil shaped ones just before the wings. Lotus 49 etc.
    RIP J.P.B.

Ago

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #13 RP, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    In 74- or 75 I remember seeing the wreck of Beltois's BRM at Watkins glen. it was so crushed ... it was amazing that he survived... even as young as i was i will never forget that image -

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, it is "JPB" indeed at the wheel (Blue helmet whith a white line at top the helmet).
    His team-mate that year on that car was usually "JPJ", alias "Godasse de plomb" for us Frenchmen ("lead shoe"), or Jean-Pierre Jarier if you insist, whose name can be faintly distinguished on the car on your picture. His helmet was green with a lateral white line, but no white line at the top.

Rgds

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Thank you!!