COTA in Trouble? | FerrariChat

COTA in Trouble?

Discussion in 'F1' started by hairy_scotsman, Jan 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Oof. Looks like there may be more trouble looming for COTA.

Is America's only Formula One track in trouble?

Is America's only Formula One track in trouble? | News | Motorsport.com

2. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    Very interesting. I'd hate to lose F1 again in this country.

3. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Key here is, "again" I love F1 but I love it most in Europe. I'll give Melbourne, Montreal and Sao Paulo a pass for their history and charm.

IMHO

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hmmm....seems that CoTA Management have bigger fish to fry than sicking the CoTA police on you if you spill some gas on the asphalt or fail to place plywood under the jacks?

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I went to the first F1 race and first MotoGP race they had. I was going to attend the second F1, but tickets arrived the Monday after the race. You all know their history, and they can take all the blame.

6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I hope it stays. It's one of the races I'd like to go and see one day. However, the US seems to struggle with an F1 race in the same venue year after year. Why don't they try rotating the event around a selection of 3-5 US circuits eg COTA, Indy, NJ, and somewhere in the west coast? Might prevent the race going stale and being lost...

7. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I actually think the rotating is the problem. They need to build history in one location.

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Bernie seems rather fickle and bored with one location already. Next possibly Vegas - 3 years later where?

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    needs to stay in one place. I miss INDY. it was so close. easy for lodgings. and a real history.

10. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    You want history, bring it back to the Glen. That will never happen, but it would be fantastic.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Viva Las Vegas!

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I absolutely agree 100%. With over 100 years of experience, the ability to accommodate 500,000 fans , a major airport 5 miles away and a city of 1mm with lots of hotels and restaurants, Indy was a great venue. There is no getting stuck for hours on little country roads trying to get to the track like Silverstone or Spa.

I think one of the reasons that the USGP moves around so much is the demands that F1 makes on the tracks. For the most part the venues were either existing motorsport facilities like Watkins Glen or Indy, or temporary like Long Beach or Dallas or Vegas. The existing facilities didn't need the aggravation and the temporary sites were just that. I don't think anyone has ever made money putting on the USPG. Even a facility as good as CoTA is having a hard time making a go of it.

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    They need time to amortize the excessive costs of making a facility acceptable to F1.

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    COTA has been "in trouble" since they broke ground.

Wake me up when they announce an F1 race is cancelled or F1 announces they will not return.

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This is just Bernie's racket. The dust has settled after a few years events and everyone see's that they're loosing money and Bernie is the only one making money from the deal.

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I still see more sense in this. It's the one thing missing from Vegas. A nightrace. Think they'll make a buck too...And local business owners/hookers will have a very profitable week....;)

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Austin is good but Vegas is phantastic. Much better infrastructure for the public. And $ wise better chance to break even.

So much for all those day dreamers who thought a purpose built track was financially easier than a temp street race. BS.

18. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think it would have been had they followed Hellmund's advice and kept the cost to around the $225M he told them would allow profitability. Instead they went and broke the business model by spending almost twice that.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Maybe.

I think it is obvious that a temp race always costs less than building a track. Just common sense.

20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It costs less for one year, obviously, but the costs are recurring. And then you can't have any other events throughout the year to help defray the cost, as you don't actually have a track. You also have very little in the way of assets to help your borrowing power. COTA screwed themselves by spending way too much. All those construction delays didn't help.

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Recalling the reports posted on F-Chat from the COTA watchers in Austin, their business
    plan went off the rails almost as soon as ground was broken.

Frankly, once they all started suing each other, I thought the whole thing was going to come
    to nothing. So, the fact that they got the track finished in time (but way over budget) was
    a surprise, if not a minor miracle.

But, once you start mixing politicians and Bernie, acrimony is bound to follow. Bernie's
    $25M sanctioning fee is completely absurd, even top European tracks are balking at his
    outrageous demands opting instead for WEC, DTM, MotoGP and Touring Car events
    where they can actually remain solvent and not fall into bankruptcy.

The fact that Hellmund took his show to Carlos Slim and they've revived the Grand Prix
    of Mexico is telling.

COTA sounds like a fantastic facility but long term, F-1 won't last with their sanctioning
    demands, and yet another U.S. track will be left holding the bag while Bernie flies away
    with their $25M into his Swiss bank account.

BHW

22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Is Bernie ever going to have enough money?

Ago

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And how many $ generating events do they have each year? F1 is the big ticket, the rest is peanuts

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I don't know the answer to the question at COTA, but I do know many tracks manage to pay their staff, maintain the grounds and so on with the revenue from the 'peanuts'. Silverstone, Spa, Thunderhill & Laguna all keep going by hosting events most weekends.

I'm certainly no expert, but seems to me that done right the 'peanuts' should be enough to keep it going and hosting a GP should be the cherry on the cake.

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The trick here is to be the second or third guy in. Wash away all of the debt of the original investors, give them a bath and a haircut. Buy this dog for about $50-100mm and get on with running a marginally profitable enterprise that is a labor of love and not a property coveted by a hedge fund.