1000hp PU's to return in 2017?...... | FerrariChat

1000hp PU's to return in 2017?......

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, Jan 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Woot! From Autosport, my emphasis added;

We can but live in hope......

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Swobber

Swobber Karting

Mar 25, 2014
    More downforce and power ... Whats not to like? :D

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    McNish concurs.....Also from Autosport;

The man talketh some sense me thinks......

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    With these hybrid turbos the total max hp figure might be a little misleading when comparing power with the old aspirated ones I think as it isn't a constant output

5. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    In racing, you never have a constant power output, the engines/PUs are in transient operation all the time anyway.

McNish's comments really make sense. I have to think however about posters for the last F1 race in Hockenheim which were all over the town (we're close to the track), where the headline was "30000HP!!!" (or whatever the sum of all cars was), and a small F1 car underneath. Looked more like a drag racing ad, what I want to say: F1 is more than simple HP numbers. Adding a bit of them however can't hurt :)

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    True but you couldn't get that 1000 hp figure for more than 15 seconds on a test bench with batteries charged probably while regular engines could push max output until the tank is empty theoretically, was my point

7. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Hopefully this comes to fruition and there will be a tiny shift in hiring driving talent over money carrying talent to finesse these cars.

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Too bad it's not until 2017!

9. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Megatron got those kind of numbers on the track. It is a function of how much fuel you can burn.

In addition to more HP, I'd like to see then make some aero changes, like single element front wings, no turning vanes or barge boards, floors that do not extend beyond the bodywork and single element rear wings with a center mount thereby eliminating the massive end plates.

10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    How will they sound? If that's not fixed I'm not sure the increase in HP solves one of the key problems.

-F

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    More power and less downforce should make them more exciting. I hope they don't ramp up downforce, that would be a step back imo.

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Bring back manual boxes if they want to make the cars more challenging to drive.

13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    +1

14. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think the the one of the biggest issue today vs yesteryear regarding drivability is the over the top electronics that the drivers need to manage. I think it's a bit much to ask for the car to be significantly more physically demanding without reducing the iin-car technical requirement load on the driver. How many mistakes have we seen in F1 over the past few years due to drivers fiddling with switches and dials on the steering wiheel.

There's got to be a bit of balance. I think it's a bit simplistic to simply say the cars are easier to drive. There's different aspects of what makes something difficult.

15. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'll add though that I'm all for anything that takes away from where we are today in F1.

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Take away the aerodynamic aids, and ramp up the noise. Lets see some sliding and car control!!

17. 308luver

308luver Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    More power. More aero. If you want slidy 1000hp cars watch NASCAR.

F1 should be by far the fastest most advanced vehicles around a track. I don't want to see a bunch of drag cars.

18. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Yep

Compare F1 to GP2 lap times in 2014.
    Now compare the racing.

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They already are, all downforce does is make it more difficult to pass and puts less emphasis on car control by forcing the drivers to drive on rails instead of being able to put the car at different slip angles. Extremely high downforce racing is boring. Go watch IndyCar where they just put the pedal to the floor the whole way around the ovals. Who wants that?

20. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It is the high downforce that allows otherwise unqualified drivers (see Maldonado) to compete in F1, far more than any lack or HP. I dare say that when Jim Clark was winning in cars with 1.5 liter normally aspirated engines, that it was a drivers ability to balance a car on the knife's edge that was the difference between winning and losing. Not his ability to manage 1000hp.

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    That and bags of money.

22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    More power, yes.

More downforce, no. That makes cars too easy to drive.

I prefer to see cars that are challenging and drivers that struggle with them.

The only way to reduce cornering speed, is to reduce the aero.

23. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I fail to see how more hp makes a better show? Unless you like crashes?

More hp doesn't equate to closer battles aka wheel-to-wheel racing, which to me is the show. Will more hp make the cars sound less pathetic? If so, then I'm in, because the glorious sounds was, once upon a time, part of the show.

24. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I read that wider tires may go into this 1000bhp formula as well.....

25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    They should go back to basics. Let humans actually design and build the cars. Not computers. Reduce the aero, like William mentioned above. Go back to 3 pedals. Make it a challenge to drive the cars.

Gone were the days when the drivers actually soaked in sweat and can barely walk straight after an intense race. Today, they actually looked like they just came back from a 60 lap cruise. Too much of nonsense, save the fuel, save the tyre, save the brakes, save the car...why race at all then?

The cars are meant to be driven their wheels off. They are supposed to look mean and sound like God himself. Not like a friggin vacuum cleaner, with drivers replying that 'they can't go anymore slower'.