The Ferrari-AVL epoch | FerrariChat

The Ferrari-AVL epoch

Discussion in 'F1' started by asjoseph, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    #1 asjoseph, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
    ... shades of John Barnard, and Ferrari's once proud GTO, have a look-see if and when you find time:

https://www.avl.com/

For the 1st time since pre-war F1, Ferrari no longer wholly directs or guides the plight of its own engine development program. Technically, it is no longer a Ferrari engine. A cool 40 million, Euro, down the tubes, from here on out Ferrari's F1 power-plant merely a re-badged AVL, Enzo turns in his grave as once proud Ferrari now pays, through its nose, for its engine technology -- asj.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    That's the beginning of the end. What next? People not making their own bread anymore?

3. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    The ends justifies the means I guess.

4. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Plight is definitely the right word...

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Why so much drama? Everybody in F1 subcontracts work. Ferrari has been using Mahle pistons for decades. And AVL has been doing work for Red Bull for some time too.

6. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Garagiste! Assembliatore!

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    i don't particularly care, as long as Ferrari wins.

I follow driver first then team, and so in 2015 I will be rooting for Alonso but still hoping for ferrari to win.

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I don't believe this statement to be correct!

In 1955 and 1956 Ferrari raced Lancia D50's, which despite numerous modifications by Ferrari (and a rename to Ferrari D50), still ran Lancia V8 engines that Ferrari had had no input into the design or development whatsoever! - It was never a Ferrari engine from the beginning!

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What about all the work they subbed to Honda people for the V10.

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    There may be precedent but it's still not good news.

When was this subcontracted? Under the new boss? The old boss? The older boss?

11. chemistry84

chemistry84 Karting

Feb 12, 2014
    Huh? I don't recall Ferrari doing this

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #12 Igor Ound, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Avl is just helping building the simulation platform for now. Maybe doing a little work on the pistons and that's it. If anything Ferrari might learn something

The only problem might come if Ferrari's secrets are then given to Red Bull by the same company, but don't see much to worry given the bad shape of the current powerplant

13. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    AVL is NOT building the Ferrari F1 engines. AVL is subcontracted to build certain pieces just as Brembo are subcontracted to supply Ferrari road cars with brakes and Mahle supplies the pistons for the road cars and the F1 cars etc. Or do you believe that because Alcoa suuplies the bodies for the road cars that they are building Ferraris? This is just silly.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

"Silly" is putting it very politely. There's a reason many have used the ignore button here. ;)

[Remember, this is the same guy who basically accused Tony S & organized motorsport of murder a while back :( ]

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    We deal a lot with AVL - they have the world market cornered for engine test beds and measurement tools and are one of the best, if not the best, contractor for powertrain engineering. For engine/powertrain simulation, the best tools out there are either the GT Power suite or AVL's Cruise/Boost/Fire. And apparently that's what Ferrari uses now.

I remember talking to AVL's head of F1 operations some years ago. He said that they supply test beds and do engineering work for all F1 teams. I doubt that they distribute the secrets among their customers!

16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

An authority speaks!! :) Frohes Neues Jahr!!

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Sure but there are voices they'll become Red Bull's exclusive partners to produce own brand's engines. Impressive acquaintances by the way. ;)

18. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Frohes neues Jahr to you, too, Dave! :)

Even then they couldn't risk giving away any secrets. I have rarely seen an engine test facility, including the one I happen to be somewhat in charge of, that doesn't at least use components from AVL. In the contrary, most are turnkey installations. If it came to light that they use information from customer #1 for customer #2's projects, they could close their doors rather today than tomorrow!

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Way to kill a perfectly good rumor.
    ;)

20. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    #20 Sig. Roma, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    And don't forget that Riccardo have probably contributed to most engines somewhere along the way.

Back about 16 years ago, I was in Modena visiting a potential partner for a friend's company. He was ex-Ferrari and knew a machine shop not far from the Modena train station. The building had no name on it. It was owned by a 75 year old fellow that did machine work for everyone in motor sports. In fact, he owned the development company which produced and sold to BMW the first BMW F1 engines.

Its only my opinion, but I think the bulk of today's HP gains are in the fuel and the electronics, and not the hardware.

I also heard from a friend in Emilia Romagna, that Ferrari's new wind tunnel has a rolling road, and they can now simulate the circuits on it. I guess that is what AVL helped Ferrari to develop. And much of that info came from Ferrari and not AVL.

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap..and they cost Felipe the title!!!