WEC now the championship of choice for manufacturers, not F1 | FerrariChat

WEC now the championship of choice for manufacturers, not F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Jan 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1 freshmeat, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Today, Formula One is no longer the place to be in the eyes of most manufacturers.

The 2014 season was a year of great racing overshadowed by doom and gloom headlines relating to everything from the financial health of the sport to the sound of the engines. While there is no reason to expect 2015 will be all sunshine and roses, Formula One has yet to wake up to what is its biggest long-term problem.

Formula One likes to sell itself as the high-speed live action laboratory for automotive technology, the innovative sport whose research efforts touch our lives as road car users. It’s why the sport courts manufacturer entries, it was the entire justification for the 2014 power unit paradigm shift, and it’s in the IPO spiel that did the rounds in 2012.

The problem is, it’s not simply true these days.

WEC surpassing F1 as the place to be for manufacturers

For those in search of a paddock filled with manufacturers competing at the highest level, it is no longer Formula One but the World Endurance Championship which is the place to be. With the futures of both Caterham and Lotus questionable (and links to the related road car firms severed), and Ferrari a desirable marque out of reach for most of humanity, it is only Mercedes who is both mass manufacturer and racing team. Renault’s involvement remains restricted to engine supply, while Infiniti is seemingly present in logo alone.

The WEC paddock, in contrast, boasts an embarrassment of manufacturer riches. In the LMP1 category alone can be found Audi, Nissan, Porsche, and Toyota, while other categories boast representation from the likes of Aston Martin, Ferrari, and Porsche as manufacturer or factory-backed entries.

More publicity

It’s not simply down to manufacturer involvement, however. When Audi became the first manufacturer to secure victory at the iconic 24 Heures du Mans endurance race, the whole world knew about it, thanks to a concerted media push that saw the achievement publicised in newspapers and on billboards in addition to the press coverage garnered. In contrast, all that the wider world knew about F1’s 2014 power units - if they knew anything at all - was that they weren’t loud enough and Bernie Ecclestone wasn’t a fan.

As organisers of the 24 Heures du Mans, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) have also been drivers of innovation. Since 2012, Garage 56 has been reserved for an entrant who aims to use the 24-hour race to test out new technology of some form. Previous occupants of Garage 56 have included the DeltaWing project (2012); the withdrawn GreenGT project aimed at running electric motors with a hydrogen fuel cell (2013); and Nissan’s ZEOD RC (2014). The ACO’s only action may have been to make the Garage 56 concept possible, but it earned them the public perception of a body keen to support green technology.

Ability to innovate severely limited

In contrast, Formula One’s technical regulations - laudably aimed at improving safety standards while maintaining good racing - become narrower and narrower each year. Opportunities for innovation still exist, but are more likely to be found in air flow and wing details than in concepts that are identifiable to the naked eye of the average observer as being something new, revolutionary, and different.

Whatever gains the sport makes in its attempts to rein in costs, the simple fact remains that - thus far, at least - the only manufacturer lured to F1 by the 2014 power unit change was Honda. The off-season started with quickly denied rumours that VW was on its way back in via an Audi entry, and there have been no serious mutterings regarding the involvement of any other manufacturers.

With the WEC having positioned itself as the championship of choice for manufacturers, with reasonable global media exposure thanks to the Le Mans event and decent return on investment in terms of road car R&D, Formula One risks becoming the second-tier global tech championship lest it gets its house in order, and fast.

---------------------
    Source:
    WEC now the championship of choice for manufacturers, not F1 | News | Motorsport.com

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    F1 is for Drivers Championship.

WEC/endurance is for Constructors Championship.

Agreed.

3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    With the way last few seasons went, that is extremely debatable.

4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I love WEC, but the coverage sucks in the US most times, the interest is low and its not exciting. People dont have the attention spans to watch 6 or 10 and 24 hour races. It's all about instant gratification.

5. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I really like the WEC. But, I wish they had a series more like NASCAR or F1 where they raced pretty much flat out for 2-4 hours on a course that was TV friendly. The racing part should be pretty easy since the run pretty much flat out now. All they need are the circuits and TV coverage.

6. ryan_qttro

ryan_qttro Karting

Jul 11, 2011
    Pirelli World Challenge is a fun to watch growing series.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    NO. totally disagree. both should have a drivers and constructors championship.

F1 constructors championships have been around longer then The Makes world Championship....

8. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    The stupid path F1 is being railroaded down leaves a vacuum which championships like WEC are well positioned to fill.

GP2 was a better spectacle than F1 in 2014. We even had GP2's doing better times than some F1 cars and sounding way better with "real" racing.

F1 is so lost ATM and yet somehow the very few are listened to as millions are walking away and turning off.

9. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I think you might misunderstand him. In WEC there is more attention given to a winning car as compared to F1. The last seasons have been easy to recall but when you think further back (years and decades) it is much easier to remember the WDCs as compared to the WCCs.

In F1 discussion lends more towards driver skill while in WEC it leans more towards car development.
    That is my feeling and I thought along those lines is what william tried to say.

10. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    F1 gets more viewers per weekend than WEC gets through an entire season and they draw about a third or less of the crowds to their race weekends.

WEC only has road relevancy attracting companies because it has little appeal beyond that. Crowds? No. Much cheaper than F1? No. More media attention? No. Bigger sponsors drawn to the series? No.

It will always be the little brother of F1 and fans of it will always ignore the facts and protest that it is the better series. Nothing new here.

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

And we shouldn't forget that if you come up with a quicker car the powers will increase your weight, or reduce your gas allowance, or reduce the amount of air you can use. ("Breathing thru a hummingbirds sphincter", Jack Brabham IIRC)

It's maybe the most artificial form of racing there is. Its nonsense. Who cares? Certainly not many fans, at least outside of Le Mans anyway.

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Do you know who actually writes the rules? Who actually decided that having two (sometimes three) dedicated test teams was too expensive? Who came up with the 'tokens' for engine development in an attempt to contain costs?

The WEC is played out on the most corrupt playing field there is. It will never, ever, even approach the global popularity of F1. It's irrelevant.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out..... Bye....

Cheers,
    Ian

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    If F1 continues this trend it will dethroned as king of racing soon.

But even in a state of decay as it´s now, F1 is less relevant than sports cars only for the brands that not have the funds or the guts to do F1. The reasons already have been expressed above: less spectators, BOP everywhere (and we complain about Charlie Whiting´s arbitrary "clarifications", ha), overall popularity...

And yes, I´m a sports cars lover, but we´re just a bunch compared to the F1 fans. And this is the proof:

After spending millions to win Le Mans, Audi had to spend more to make people know that they had won Le Mans. In F1, Bernie Ecclestone opens his mouth to say some BS and it´s in the news.

15. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    #15 asjoseph, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    ... F1 having grown well beyond scale, the greatest axiom for growth in contemporary organized motor sport is, WEC. The 64 thousand Dollar question is, how does FiA expand WEC, without atritting F1?

Imposing customs rules a complicated chore, as of this writing, when they should otherwise compete, directly, with Volkswagen, Toyota in direct competition with Porsche and Audi is awkward. Can FiA sort it out, funnel its large automakers into F1, leaving WEC for specialty automakers? Or, perhaps vice versa?

I'd prefer it the other way around: F1 dedicated to specialty-boutique-luxury nameplates; WRC and WEC a proving ground for Peugeot, Renault, VW, FIAT-Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford.

Problem FiA faces is: leadership and vision. As aloof and detached as he is, utterly clueless, somehow Jean Todt rose to high position he does not merit, through discipline, temperament or skill. His leadership of FiA is an abomination. Biggest impediment to WEC's growth is, IMSA and NASCAR (e.g., the Don Panoz Motor Sport Group, and the International Speedway Corporation). I'd favor Nick Craw stepping up to the plate, stripping IMSA & NASCAR, reintegrating Sebring and Daytona into the WEC - asj.

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    In the old days it was race on sunday sell on monday. That was a big reason for manufacturers to get involved. WEC cars even the LMP1 is closer to a streetcar and would have more applicable trickedown technology to streetcars than what is going on in F1. A GTEam car I could almost build in my garage. So there is a lot of connection to the people and people's cars and how they are driven.

17. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    So why are a fraction of the people that are interested in F1, interested in WEC given that greater connection to what they have in their garages?

The only people greatly concerned with that link in technology are the boards cutting the cheques for their WEC teams.

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  19. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
  20. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    +1. PWC is great.

21. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Does it matter who actually penned the stupid rules?

If you can't handle reading my opinion or thoughts here on the forum, I suggest you put me on your ignore list, because I'm not going anywhere. Here's >>here's a direct link to your ignore list<< just add my name :)

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    It was a serious question....

IMHO, it matters a huge amount who wrote the rules. I'll give you a clue; All the stupid teams themselves. They're the 'stakeholders', it's their ball, and they developed them. It's what they wanted.

No need to take offense! It just reads that F1 makes you completely miserable and that you were off to join the handful of people who follow the WEC and its 'made up as they go along' rules.....

Cheers,
    Ian

23. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This makes me think that having the "stakeholders" (God I hate that term) write the rules might be a bit like the inmates running the asylum. The stakeholders are far more likely to arbitrarily change the rules when they are being disadvantaged or overly advantaged.

Seems to me that a board of unbiased (the opposite of stakeholders) governors should write broad rules and then let the stakeholders work it our, or not, within the rules.

24. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Stupid rules are stupid rules and I'll call them out whoever wrote them. BTW you're factually wrong, the rules of F1 are not written by the teams. They contribute though.

I wasn't before and I'm not now.

I've not said that, but I don't care if you want to jump to that conclusion :)

Handful, lol.

I found a lot of the WEC fabulous racing - really enjoyed it. I also enjoy watching GP2 and V8 Supercars with their "handful" of fans as well.