Tyre concerns | FerrariChat

Tyre concerns

Discussion in 'F1' started by asjoseph, Jan 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Karting
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern California
    #1 asjoseph, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
    ... if this report proves correct (e.g., 500 BAR?), then the Daimler-Mercedes 2015 power unit is slated generate, minimum, 1200 rwhp:

F1: Mercedes denies 'old' engine for 2015 claims ? :: PaddockTalk :: F1, Formula 1, NASCAR, IndyCar, MotoGP, Le Mans, And More!

Trouble is, Pirelli doesn't have a tyre sufficient for 2900 psi, let alone 7200. With that kind of output, Pirellis going to have no choice but go back, to engineering real competition tyres. Charlie's going to have to revert F1, to staggered 70s style gumballs.

Perhaps 6-wheelers (4 at the rear) - asj.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Your confusing boost pressure with the direct injection fuel pressure. The direct injection pressure won't double the engine power, not even close. It may allow them to run more compression and hence get some more bang out of the fuel, but we're talking single digit prercents, not doubling the power...

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Yes but other than that his analysis sounds pretty accurate to me ;)

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Haha, yes +1!

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +2 :D

Would love to see a tire capable of *holding* 2900 psi....... Much less 7200! :eek:

Oops!..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Yep. Word on the street is another 40-50bhp just from the engine, so who knows what more they will be getting from their kers system.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Just read that what made Mercedes' PU so powerful was also an additive used by Petronas in their fuel or oil, which explains why Mclaren using Mobil weren't as competitive.

8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    First, the injector pressure is limited to 500 bar, or about 1350 psi. To accommodate that requires a redesign of the injector.

To put this in focus, I own a car that has injector pressure of a little over 27,800 psi. Mind you that is via a pump injector. This was about a 6 fold increase over the prior version. The increase in power over the previous engine, w/o the pump injector, was in the neighborhood of 10%. The benefit of the increased pressure is better atomization of the fuel and therefore more complete combustion, releasing more energy.

With F1's restrictions on fuel flow, fuel pressure and boost pressure, this sort of increase in ICE power (to 1,200hp) is impossible.

9. jdmwerks

jdmwerks Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    This thread goes to show exactly how much the thread starter, asjoseph, actually knows. What an idiot. Go away as all of your posts are worthless and take up way too much space in this section...

10. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't know, he does bring a certain excitement to the site. I'm still chuckling about the 720 psi tires.

11. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    If I was unkind I would say a 14 year old pretending to be 44..

John

12. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    I think he probably got bent over by his bookie last season.

But in all honesty there was a news program here in the US that said kids shouldn't be playing on turf fields because they're made from shredded tires. If your kids, or asjoseph, for that matter, actually eat the tire bits, there's more problems than the actual tires. This isn't a sandbox.

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Bingo!

14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well... the OP isn't coming back to defend himself (permanent ban), so let's move on from bashing the forever banished. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Thank you!

16. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Thanks, it will do the board very well, but what is your reasoning?
    Is a lack of physics or engineering skills hidden somewhere in the fine print as a reason for punishment?

17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I can see how that was unclear, sorry about that. He wasn't banned for any physics or engineering reasons. Click on the link in my message above to view the ban application in another part of the forum. An abrasive history on a couple of topics in the past and recently revealing a very low opinion of Ferrari owners lead me to believe FerrariChat wasn't the best online venue for him and that it wouldn't be pleasant for us to keep him around either.

In F1, I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that he would not be able to respond because he is no longer a member of our forum, rendering further criticism/feedback directed to him moot.

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Thanks Andrew!
    I overlooked that link.

19. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I can take him off my ignore list now.

20. jdmwerks

jdmwerks Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    he'll be back with a new name in less than 24 hours i bet ya!

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Our mods are better than that..... :)

Besides, his, unique, way of, punctuating, his sentences will, immediately, reveal his, ruse.... ;)

Good riddance. Get rid of a couple of others and what we consider 'normalcy' may just get restored......

Cheers,
    Ian

22. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Yes, he is, definitely, "commatose".

23. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Just from my experience as an aircraft loadmaster, after a certain PSI, tires are not considered pneumatic anymore, they're considered solid. I think it might have been 100 PSI and above.