Marlboro contract for $160M a year ends in 2015 will they renew ? | FerrariChat

Marlboro contract for $160M a year ends in 2015 will they renew ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by F2003-GA, Feb 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO Sergio is trying to butter up Marlboro by hiring their man so he can get
    a big fat renewal - But I think they will be asking for a big discount this time
    with viewership falling and no championship for 9 years ( I've included this year)

Hell McLaren can't even get any takers for title sponsorship

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not arguing, but do you mind me asking where you got that figure from? I've read all kinds of 'guesstimates' over the years, but don't recall any of them being that high.

As for renewing, my guess is they will. The two remain firmly linked, and Philip Morris is still making more money than God. And while Mclaren have a long history, they just don't have anywhere near the cachet of Ferrari..... Pisses uncle Ron off every time he reads that.... ;)

Thinking more, it may be that PM pay a hundred for the whole car and then recoup say, 60M of that with 'resale'?

Cheers,
    Ian

3. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Their sponsorship is completely strange.

One suggestion I read was that they apparently pay that much for Ferrari to essentially use Marlboro colours, which in essence is a bit of white and a different shade of red to promote the idea of "subliminal recognition" If you even go on Scuderia Ferrari F1's website you would be hard pressed to find any affiliation with Marlboro there.

Another suggestion is that Ferrari and Marlboro are no longer involved but their parent company Philip Morris essentially hand over $50m-$150m+(depending on source) a season to own the entire car's livery which they sell off piece by piece to companies such as Haas, UPS, Shell, Santander whilst keeping the colour scheme to their liking. That seems more plausible to me and explains the sheer size of their financial contribution to the team. It would be interesting to see how much they make back by selling those pieces.

4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro

PMI to pay Ferrari US$480 million over three years - Sports Sponsorship news - Formula OneMotorsport - SportsPro Media

5. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    As long as philip morris thinks it's worth spending the money... but I just don't see the value.

To the longtime fans, and presumably longtime Marlboro smokers, the red and white is clearly the cigarette livery but I can't help but think that such message is lost on fans who don't remember the sponsors before the tobacco bans. The team name doesn't even include Marlboro anymore (hasn't since 2011). When I think of the Marlboro livery I think more Penske & McLaren than I do Ferrari.

Nowadays I don't think about Marlboro in F1, or associate it with Ferrari or a particular driver except for articles and issues like this. Even though I don't buy/associate with the products, I do associate certain sponsors with F1 like Pepe Jeans, Banco Santander, Johnnie Walker, Petronas, Lotus, Hugo Boss, etc. But then again I don't smoke.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    What a deal for Ferrari. Nearly half a billion dollars and not so much as a decal on the race car.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Just hope Dennis doesn't know more than we think about Marlboro's sponsorship

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    He has had them before and might have them again :)

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #9 4rePhill, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the closest Ferrari can get to running a Marlboro logo these days (And after the bar-code banning nonsense, I'm surprised there haven't been complaints about it!) :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    There is nothing anybody can legally complain about

11. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    #11 RallyeChris, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One might suggest the current Scuderia Ferrari logo represents the top left corner of a pack of Marlboro Reds.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Frankly, I don't get it. It's not like Ferrari are going to paint the car yellow if PMI stop their sponsorship. I think Coca-Cola gets lots of free advertising from the shape of all of the cars. ;-)

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Surely that's the all seeing eye in both of them ;)

14. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    This.

15. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    I bet Marlboro ups the amount per year this time around and for another 5 or 10 years. I don't see how it won't happen given Mr. Arrivabene.

16. GrndLkNatv

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Well Marlboro pays them for the space on the car, then they sublet some of that space to other advertisers..

17. GrndLkNatv

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Marlboro sublets space on the car to the other sponsors.

18. GrndLkNatv

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Well one thing for sure, Mr. Arrivabene knows the same or more about Marlboro and Phillip Morris than Ron Dennis knows about F1.

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Highly doubt they will pay more - The industry is moving to lesser value of title sponsorship
    IF they can pull of over $100m a year that would be fantastic - IMO

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    And the barcode represented Marlboro how exactly?

Marlboro didn't use the barcode design on its cigarette packaging, and as far as I'm aware, if you put a barcode reader over the barcode on the car, it wouldn't read: "Marlboro".

Lets be honest here, the red/white design that Ferrari uses today is no less an obvious link to Marlboro than the barcode design was.

If they wanted the design to just represent Scuderia Ferrari, they only needed the scudetto badge - The white section with "SCUDERIA FERRARI" on it is not needed!

(And it's a curious coincidence that Ducati used the exact same badge design whilst they're sponsored by Philip Morris Tobacco! [owners of Marlboro] ).

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I don't care who sponsors any team. I want good racing. If they, PM don't sponsor Ferrari no loss. PM does not build anything useful or noteworthy. I'm glad they have money to waste. F1 is not about smoking. I hope they leave and Ferrari move on.

22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Interesting how would Ferrari move on with a $160 million annual shortfall ?
    You think it would effect their performance ?

23. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    U cant into make sense

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I've worked for Philip Morris before, and it's actually clever marketing my friend. In certain markets, like Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, South Africa,above the line advertising for ciggies are still allowed.

You still can find ciggie packs, featuring Ferrari F1 cars on the pack itself in Indonesia. It's what they call a 'promotional pack or a limited edition pack'.

Checkout this link to your question on the barcode..

292. The. Sneakiest. Design. Ever. - Graphicology Blog - Graphicology

Philip Morris is extremely proud to be their biggest sponsor. Right till today, their new videos always features Schumi, and some great Ferrari F1 cars, although these promotional videos are done internally only. (it's a black market in Malaysia for ciggies, no ads allowed).

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ask Ron Dennis. No title sponsor. New car on the grid.