Renault may return as works team | FerrariChat

Renault may return as works team

Discussion in 'F1' started by vinuneuro, Feb 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    #1 vinuneuro, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Seems Renault has gotten tired of getting trashed by Horner in the press every other day. I had wondered what happened to Bob Bell. There aren't many better jobs to move on to after you leave Mercedes as technical director. This may have legs to it. Sauber has been ready to be taken over by someone at for the last two seasons. That seems more likely than Lotus converting back.

It would also be the end of Red Bull unless another engine manufacturer comes back or they set up their own. We already saw it with Mclaren last season, if you don't have works supply you aren't going anywhere.

Renault ponders F1 future, including fully-branded works team - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

2. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    If you build a great car you can still do very well as a customer rather than a factory team. I'm pretty sure Mclaren outperformed their engine supplier in Mercedes for three seasons in the constructors. No reason Red Bull couldn't do the same.

If Williams had a Red Bull budget last year it would have been interesting to see what improvement they could have made on third.

Customer supply is fine as long as you have a large budget and the ability to package that engine with a great car. That is no problem for RB.

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    More the merrier IMO..

4. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Hope Renault does so, but I have a feeling they might want to buy back their old team for a song. Not sure they want a team based out of Switzerland. Hope to see their iconic yellow/black/white factory colours on the grid in the future.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Sorry guys, but to me as a frenchman UNLESS Carlos Goshn himself, and no-one else, speaks about the perspective of a return as a constructor, I consider the perspective "less than negligible": about "infinitesimal", I would say.

Now: if, or when, this comes from CG himself, then it would be completly different. But, for the time being, this is not (yet?) the case.

Rgds

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would agree. I cant see the economic conditions in France alowing Renault to even think about spending money in F-1 for a full team. Catastrophe! Hollande would "dit Non!"

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Quite possibly pondering a 'percentage' of a team rather than complete takeover/ownership.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Renault may return as works team ?

I hope not !

I am rather fed up with a car manufacturer getting in and out of F1 like a yo-yo !
    When will Renault make up its mind if it belongs to F1 or not?

Car manufacturers come in F1 with big budget, squash the small teams and then leave at short notice.

We have seen Honda in, out, in, out, then in again !
    Peugeot, Toyota and BMW did the same.

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Amen brother!

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well said my friend! I'll never forget how BMW just abandoned ship, with lying to everyone and selling to a mysterious 'middle eastern and qatari consortium' only for the last minute Peter Sauber to reach in and save the team.

These guys should just shut it and be engine suppliers.

As for Carlos Ghosn, i highly doubt as long as he remains CEO, we will see Renault as a works team again.

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    We've got this cockamamie engine formula because the big automakers demanded relevance.

Nuff sed.

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Once they are finished with the current push for hybrid relevance and eventually electric F1 cars, they will want to move on to the new holy grail looming on the horizon...SELF-DRIVING CARS. That should be fun. The winner will be the geek who can best preprogram the car to read the circuit and react accordingly.