Rory Byrne Back as Mentor for Simone Resta | FerrariChat

Rory Byrne Back as Mentor for Simone Resta

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Feb 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Rory Byrne, one of the figureheads in Ferrari's dominance of the early 2000s, is working at Maranello as mentor to chief designer Simone Resta.

Byrne was design chief at Ferrari at the start of the last decade and, along with Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and driver Michael Schumacher, helped the team win six constructors' and five drivers' titles in six years. Last year Ferrari's first winless campaign since 1993 triggered a massive upheaval, with three team principal changes through the year and the departures of president Luca di Montezemolo and high-profile staff such as Pat Fry.

Maurizio Arrivabene took over from Marco Mattiacci as team principal in November and during the second Barcelona test confirmed the semi-retired Byrne, 71, is back at the team.

"I have to tell you something funny," Arrivavene told journalists in Barcelona. "I spoke with Rory, I've known him for a long time. I asked him 'are you keen to work together with us, with your success, in the future to be a bit more involved?' Without taking anything away from Simone Resta, who is our chief designer.

"And you know, I saw in Rory a kind of light. It's unbelievable, a guy like this of his age, and he's still enthusiastic like a baby. I was really surprised. One night near to Christmas I went to a restaurant and I found Rory, who was eating very, very quickly, and I said 'Rory, calm down, where do you have to run!?' He had to run immediately back to the factory for a meeting with Resta."
    Arrivabene explained in detail Byrne's new role and explained his experience of winning was something invaluable to Ferrari, which has not won a title since 2008.

"Rory is working with Simone, he's giving to Simone as a mentor because of his experience and he's working on some detail of the car. Most people might think Rory is part of history, I don't think so. We are talking about the chief designer guru all the time but Rory isn't one of the guys who didn't win, he's one of the guys who won a lot.

"Having a father or mentor for Simone is not a bad thing especially not when his enthusiasm is going up to the sky. I was talking to James [Allison] about it and he said 'why not?'. Rory has my utmost respect, especially for that night I saw him eating with the light inside his eyes."

------------------

Read more at
    Veteran designer Rory Byrne back at Ferrari | Ferrari | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

2. Abbey

Abbey Karting

Dec 1, 2014
    That is great news. So many great memories for us with Rory in the team.

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Didn't he work on last year's car too?

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    He's been an off site consultant. Now he is at Marranelo. Let's hope this produced better results than is consultancy has.

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I don't know. It seems as a temporary solution to me. I think Allison should choose someone he trusts and knows for the longer term.

There were voices of Bob Marshall. That would have been good but let's give Resta a chance.

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Great news. One member of the then Schumacher's dream team.

7. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    One thing is, i hope Ferrari can move forward and not backwards. They need new talent, not keep on calling the legends that won 10 years ago.

I think James Allison can really do it. For the first time in so long, i sense a genuine change of spirit and team morale for pre season tests.

8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid

What the hell are you both on about. Rory's designs beat Adrian Newey's. Would you complain if Newey had joined the Scuderia?!?!

9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
  10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    F1 has no long term memory

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    A bit scary that the designer of a top team is still needing a "mentor".

But let´s see what this team of dark horses can do.

12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes it does. It' called the history books. They're filled with records of victories.

13. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Actually, if you look at the Domenicali succession plans (from Brawn days), you can see that he definitly required a mentor to keep him on the straight and narrow. SF went from its incredible success to total failure because the new team direction thought they knew what they were doing.

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Agreed. The people on this forum that state the influence of a most accomplished and successful F1 designer who has beaten Adrian Newey on many occasions as a negative thing are silly and foolish.

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    i'm just glad mattiacci is out lol. what a doofus.

16. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Another $100M fine coming up ??

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I have long quoted chapter and verse about Rory vs Newey....... Rory is the Man and any input from him can only be good news for the scuderia

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Absolutely. +1mm

19. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    You are missing the point here entirely. What i was saying that it's getting scary that Ferrari has looked backwards to retired legend to help guide the team through. I know very well what Rory has done, I don't need a history lesson.

My point is, for how long? How many times Ferrari are going to go back and seek Rory's services. It's time they start grooming their next superstar. With age catching up with Rory, will he be able to travel and go through the stress?

I don't see how you pointing out Newey joining Ferrari has got anything to do with what i was saying.

20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It's scary that a company would look to the most experienced and accomplished person they can? That's a strange fear.

Who cares for how long. Until Rory dies is fine as long as it starts producing results. He is grooming their next superstar. They said Rory is mentoring the guy. Rory has been off site retired for years providing 'consultant' work. That arrangement has not produced any results. Now they've brought him back to Maranello.

Because if Newey had joined you'd probably not complain. They bring a guy back who's beaten Newey on many occasions and your putting a negative spin on it.

21. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't care how old Rory is, if he's good enough then use him .... Newey's no spring chicken

22. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Didn't realize you can suddenly read my mind these days..

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I said "probably". :)