How much of Ferrari's pre-season testing progress is due to Marco Mattiacci? | FerrariChat

How much of Ferrari's pre-season testing progress is due to Marco Mattiacci?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TeamF1Jr, Feb 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Certainly development of an F1 car is continuous, however much of development of the current car was done under Marco Mattiacci's leadership and under his restructuring of the F1 team's personnel. The argument was he didn't know F1, but he did know team building and that perhaps is his mark left on this team.

Two questions, does Marco deserve some of the credit? And secondly was firing him a mistake? I can't think Arrivabene has anything to do with the progress this team has made so far.

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Good points. Entirely plausible. Difficult to prove. Perhaps they simply used Marco as the change agent. Supposedly Bernie didn't like Marco.

3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    well in regards to "team building", since the key team "pillars" he kept during his watch have all been sacked, i don't see his contributions having amounted to much.

2015 car development should be accredited to Allison and his direct reports, who had already started down a path before marco's arrival.

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I'd say that his input was decisive, as the big design decisions already were made when he, Fry and Tombazis left. He also was the one who put Allison on charge.

But as Arrivabene said, this is not his or Mattiaci's car, it's Ferrari's. The work already started with Domenicalli.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

James was quite simply the man who told Marco who to hire based on his experience. He was Marco's right hand man but basically the one with the knowledge. Marco almost certainly was the one that structured it all up nicely without the ridiculous (but oh so Italian) chain of command where no one knew who was in charge of what...

6. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    What ever mechanics led to Alonso not being with Ferrari I think played a part in improvement. I do not know what/who those are, so I can't speculate further as to who to thank.

Ferrari was simply not going to win championships with Alonso. I've been hoping for Alonso's replacement with a Torro Rosso driver for the past three years, its been a bit of a bummer each time RBR has pulled the driver I'd of wanted at Ferrari and put them in the RB seat, especially given Ricci's performance. I was hoping last year for Kvat to go Ferrari for this season. I do not know the actual goings on, but my wanting to see Alonso gone is my own worthless opinion based on pit/driver radio I've heard during the races.

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hard to say his impact given such a short time he's been with the team.

8. 308luver

308luver Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    If this Ferrari ends up being competitive, then I credit Vettel. This would be his 3rd team that saw a near immediate improvement when he came on board.

9. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Somewhere Marco Mattiacci is either smiling or pissed off.

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Like Luca I imagine a bit of both.

At this point I don't give a rat's azz who was responsible I'm just happy.

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Good for him. I was thinking last week where has he gone. He must have enjoyed his time in the USA. A smart and accomplished executive he is.

13. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    And I'll bet his new job has a lot less hassel and BS.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The most important change at Ferrari was sacking Fry. He was a liability for sure IMO.
    Pete

15. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Agreed PSk, and let's not forget the others that left. Aerodynamics, engine development, the team principal and the no. 1 driver all left a lot on the table.

16. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is a great point. I've spent my life in management of a fortune 50 company with lots of divisions and subsidiaries, and now management consulting. The mash up of titles at Ferrari always made me laugh. It looked like everybody was in charge. When that happens, you essentially have several companies under the same name going in different directions. This may have been Stefano's shortcoming. Someone, probably Allison/Mattiacci, appear to have put an end to that.

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Lets hope that it stays together long enough to win a championship or two.

Eventually Ferrari always reverts to disorder.

18. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    In my opinion Mattiacci didn't do anything for the F1 team when he was in charge and part of it for the short period of time. He didn't achieve anything. So why would I give him credit for something especially now that he is not even part of it;

19. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yet another good point. Ferrari (and others) only seem to thrive when there is a strong leader. A Lauda, Schumacher, Todt, Brawn and hopefully an Allison and Vettel.

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Notice a commonality among the names you mention?

21. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ya!

22. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    #22 TeamF1Jr, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The "commonality" is that none of those mentioned is Italian. I've said it before, but the F1 team seems to hit its highest points when a Germanic (which includes Austria) chap is in charge: Nikki, Schumi, now Vettel?