Who thinks Alonso will leave McLaren? | FerrariChat

Who thinks Alonso will leave McLaren?

Discussion in 'F1' started by SlvSurfer, Mar 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    As the title says.

I know its too early to say but I have a feeling he will leave and possibly retire.

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Indeterminate. More rumors than fact. In the end I dont care. He leaves or stays, I watch no matter.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm also at 50/50.

5. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Leave Macca...YES. Question is if it is before end of this season. Retire...NO, unless it is a ruse to avoid some sort of gardening period. I think he is hell-bent on getting a third WDC and that he thinks driving for Merc is the only way that is going to happen. With big changes rumored for 2017, he must find a way into Merc for 2016. Shock, epilepsy, Jedi mind games, retirement...doesn't matter...whatever it takes.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    could be me but I think he's past it. the accident - coupled with no other place to go could mean that he leaves F-1 and goes to Sports cars... or perish the thought Indy.... make ok money and less stress.

7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    He's made it obvious that he'd target Audi LeMans.

8. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Same. Hope he retires. Not likely though.

9. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    How is he past it? He just destroyed KR last season? Not his fault the mclaren car is ****e and electrocutes him.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Alonso has an exit clause on which he insisted, probably based on performances. The farther Hamilton is from renewing at Merc, the more I suspect Alonso is boycotting McLaren, again. I love it! :)

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I dont really think he got electrocuited... but maybe...

If you look at history all drivers that emerge from Ferrari have been damaged goods. the political stress take it out of you. only Lauda, and Prost have gone on to win championships after Ferrari... and both of them took time out before making a comeback.

everyone else that left and went to another team just did not do well - even Schumacher.

I also think Alonso has crossed the age barrier where he is starting to think do I need all this crap? and for what? maybe he could race for Audi - has just as much fun, almost as much money and 1/4th the stress... Perhaps the accident makes him think more about living vs. driving? Of recent drivers at Ferrari who left - none of them have gone on to do much, and only Kimi & Barichello won a race (s).

He'll most likely finish out the season. if a Mercedes seat opens up - maybe he'll go there for a last gasp effort, but doubt it. The sad fact is there are more younger kids coming in that cost less, and are more hungry....

12. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    why not make this a poll, we love filling out poll questions!

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Don't forget Mansell........won with Williams after Ferrari. And he did not take time off.
    I don't think ex-Ferrari drivers are damaged goods. ****, back in the day, Williams and even McLaren were similar driver pressure cookers. Ferrari is/was not special in that regard.

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid

Uh, he was damaged goods going into Ferrari.

15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    +1

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    +2......i also believe he has an exit clause on the whole Mac deal.....and why wouldn't mac accept...they have magnussen so not much to loose if Alonso goes away.....Alonso was the only top driver they could sign anyway, all the others where taken!!

17. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What continues to be funny/sad is that Alonso believes he can dictate where he goes. He should have noticed that Red Bull sent him a message last year.

18. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Toto Wolff said he was the top target for Mercedes should things not work out for Hamilton, and Honda had been approaching him for a year trying to get him to move to McLaren.

As far as this thread goes, he'll hop back behind the wheel of the McLaren once he is cleared to do so.

19. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    "The Spanish sports daily Marca reports that, given his all-clear by doctors, Alonso will have no more medical tests except the mandatory ones administered by the FIA ahead of his return to the cockpit in Malaysia.

"Created by FIA medical delegate Jean-Charles Piette, Alonso will have to undergo reflective, cognitive and memory tests that match his previous 'control' scores to a value of 95 per cent.

"In the meantime, his doctors have barred him from his favourite sport - road cycling - but he is allowed to run on a treadmill, swim, or work out in the gym."

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-new...n?artid=175240

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Not a championship... just races... and then the disaster with McLaren...
    Ferrari are way more political than the other teams. Schumacher, Todt, Braw, Byrne were the only ones other than Lauda / Montezemolo who kept a lid on it all.

21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    What does alonso always do when things don't go his way. He cuts and runs for greener pastures. Frankly the only reason he stayed with Ferrari as long as he did was because of their brand recognition.

Hopefully lewis and nico dominate again so mercedes doesn't try to fill one seat.

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think if mcHonda don;t get competitive over the season, he will look at his options. Having said so, he's not stupid. I would say by 2016 mid, he will make a decision.

23. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    He'll probably go back to Ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ron does NOT want Fred. Honda does. Fred will be gone one way or the other half way through the season.

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Both Mansell and Prost won championships after Ferrari.

I don´t think that, at least for drivers, there is more pressure at Ferrari than at other teams. In modern Formula 1 I remember more infighting at McLaren than at Ferrari; probably not a Ron Dennis problem, just that they sometimes had the good or bad fortune of having two sttubborn drivers and a winning car at the same time.