Massa claims Merc detuning Williams | FerrariChat

Massa claims Merc detuning Williams

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ruh Roh!

This ain't gonna go down too well.

Massa questions Merc engine equality

Felipe Massa admits he cannot say with 100 percent certainty that Williams have the same engine as the Mercedes works team.

Williams finished the 2014 season as the fastest car behind Merc and many backed them to keep that position at the start of the season opener in Australia this weekend.

However, they were surpassed by Ferrari at Melbourne with Sebastian Vettel claiming the final podium spot and Massa only fourth, and Paddy Power has now made the Italian outfit second favourites in their latest market offering.

Massa admits Williams will need to have the best possible engine available if they are going to keep Ferrari behind them.

2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Felipe Massa admits he cannot say with 100 percent certainty that Williams have the same engine as the Mercedes works team.

somehow becomes

Massa questions Merc engine equality

which somehow becomes

Massa claims Merc detuning Williams.

Of course he doesn't know with 100% certainty... he doesn't build the engines, nor does he deliver them to customers.

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Isn't that what Massa is saying? He's saying in public the Merc team may be getting a more powerful engine than Williams. Why else would he say it?

If I'm giving one team a more powerful engine, am I not detuning the other for some advantage of the first?

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

Today I learned that someone actually believes Mercedes would give a customer team the same engine it puts in its own cars.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    LOL!

True... but you don't say this in public.

I have always believed that customer engines never get the same treatment as their own teams. It's just not something you say in public as it sounds like F1 is just a predetermined outcome.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    When I was in Maranello inside the F1 department (December) they were building all of the new engines by hand, all internals are practically chrome in appearance. They clearly said that after bench testing, Ferrari keeps the best of the batch and the others go to Sauber. No detuning was mentioned and I have no idea what the difference was in terms of performance. But I thought it was interesting. Perhaps Merc has a larger performance spread on the bench?

7. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    Yeah.

Massa deserves the best, I have always liked him.

Nice job for Vettel, but good Christmas I hope the LR tire changer is now a busboy across the street from the Modena factory.

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    LR wheel got hit on lap 1 pretty hard, I'd put money on something being damaged in that bump over the wheel changer making an error.

9. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

I completely agree.

10. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    You may be right, but I disagree.

Reading the article IMO sounds like he was asked a loaded question "are you getting the same engines" and that was his response. It doesn't sound like he went out of his way to make some statement suggesting they aren't making the same power.

Even in the article he said ""So I really hope that we really have the same engine, which I really don't see why we don't have."

11. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I believe it, perhaps naively, but I believe it.

From what I gather they are contractually obligated to deliver the same engines. I imagine if any team thought they could prove otherwise and be able to skip out on a part of their bill for engines at the end of the year, they'd do so (especially given how tight some of these teams' budgets are). There also may or may not be something in the rulebook about this.

Of course Merc is in a better position to tailor their car to the package (or package the engine to better fit their car, perhaps to the detriment of other designs), and they undoubtedly have a better understanding of its performance and ideal gearing/efficiency/whatnots. Still, last year I believe Williams often had higher top end than the entirety of the field, including Mercedes, which would indicate anything but being down on power. That said, Force India and McLaren couldn't seem to do much with it.

12. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Wow!
    One race out of twenty and Massa is already crying wolf, so sad. :rolleyes:

13. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    +1

14. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Me too. Well said.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Doesn't mercedes just supply the engine, it's up to Williams to set it up the way they best see fit?

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +2

One, somewhat odd in terms of the track, race and the TFHB is already out in force! ;)

Of course Phil can't be "sure" they get the same engines, what is he meant to say?

It's worth noting however that the PU providers can only homologate one version of their units. They're all built to the same spec. Now, they almost certainly run them on the dyno before shipment, and *maybe* Merc keep the "best" for themselves, but I'd bet there's no more than a handful or so of differences in HP between all of them.

Gotta love the TFHB!
    Cheers,
    Ian

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    So, Massa has read the book of excuses...

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Generally a customer is not allowed to do anything but bolt it in.

19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Don't understand Massa's issue. There is a reason why Ferrari fired him and it's not because he was too fast...

20. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I believe Massa forgot that the engine is only a percentage of performance/results or how all the other variables weight in such as the chassis. I wonder how Williams will react to his assessment/claims? I care more about Williams than I do about a crying driver looking for excuses like Massa.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Since they have a comfortable gap, I'm sure Merc will improve subsequent engines for Williams

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 not a fire here at all. Innocuous at best.

23. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    ^ This

Which is why Red Bull tried to move away from Ferrari and take "alpha dog" at Renault.

Also this is why Mclaren tried to move away from Mercedes once Mercedes got dedicated to win WCC.

With the importance of aero design of the cooling components for the intake plumbing in addition to the cooling for the engine itself, any alternative car design will be inferior to the exact same engine placed in the chassis it was designed for.

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I beg to differ. Williams chassis is designed exactly and absolutely to take the Merc PU. It *may* be a little different in year one (see; McSputter ;)) but with a year under their belt they know what they're doing. They also have their own dedicated team of Merc engineers, and I'm certain they're not 'hiding' anything.

Dear ol' Phil's comments mean nothing more than he can't (obviously) be "100% certain" that their lumps are the same as the others. An honest answer, not whining, not crying, just being truthful.

Cheers,
    Oan

25. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I said it in another thread somewhere, but I just don't believe that the Williams car itself is that inferior to be that uncompetetive with the Factory Merc squad. I also really can't see being down to mapping and what not.

I mean I guess I could be wrong... but on the surface... I think Massa may have a gripe. There's just so much disparity between the Merc teams. I'd really like to know what that difference really is made up of.