So Susie Won't be Driving for Bottas | FerrariChat

So Susie Won't be Driving for Bottas

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Mar 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting that Symonds made it clear that Susie is just a test driver... NOT a replacement driver. He pretty much shut that door. I wasn't aware they had a different reserve driver. I thought Susie was it.

I hope Bottas' is back feeling better and racing in a couple of weeks, but I also thought it would have cool to see what she could do in a race given an open seat if Valtteri wasn't able to make it back.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If Bottas is not possible to race then F1 could use an opportunity like this to bring some very serious positive press to the series. A wasted opportunity. Wait....F1...wasted...opportunity...oh forgive my shock lol! :)

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's strange that the FIA doesn't insist for the teams to have reserve drivers at the ready at each GP in such circumstances.
    Here, we had a very competitive car sidelined by a driver going sick; unnexcusable !!!

And what's the point of all these "test drivers", if they can't be used as spare?

Is Suzie Wolf only at Williams for the photoshoots?

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    The problem was that Bottles broke *after* qualy. Nobody can take over the seat that late in the day. If he'd been broken ahead of FP3 (I believe, maybe FP2?) Susie would have taken over.

Now they have a little more time to find someone they 'prefer'. I feel a little sorry for her really.

Cheers,
    Ian

5. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The car was idle for the exact reason you mentioned. It's a timing thing I guess. But lets say Valtteri doesn't make it back... why would you go out of your way to find a driver that likely hasn't ever driven your car? I don't know if they have a designated "reserve" driver like Mac did with Magnussen.

Why not give her the seat if he doesn't make it back? It's just curious to close that door even before it happens.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I agree.

She at least knows the guys in the garage, how they operate and so on. I assume she's also done/doing a lot of simulator work, so at least knows the buttons on the wheel etc.

I too was surprised at Pat (apparently) ruling her out completely on Sunday evening. IIRC, she actually held her own on the few occasions she drove it last year. At the very least she'd have generated a lot of publicity for them.

Cheers,
    Ian

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IIRC a driver can only take part if he/she has taken part (as in, FIA has been notified which driver is attempting to have a go in case it breaks down) in at least 1 session before the race.

8. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    The Williams website of course lists Felipe and Vatteri, and then Suzie as Test Driver and Alex Lynn as Development Driver. Maybe he's the go-to guy if they need a race driver, but I totally agree, that if Suzie's times have been reasonable in FP1 last year, then holy moley they should let her drive the next race (if needed).

I certainly hope Valtteri is OK and he can return and compete for the entire year, but if he needs to miss another race, Ms. Wolf gets my vote.

Williams F1

9. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    I think that this rule should be tweaked. It'd have been brilliant for her to step up
    and perhaps start from the pitlane or last. She was ready, the car was ready, the crew
    were ready. They should have more drama, erm opportunities to the reserve drivers. They don't
    race that much and when these rare chances happen, well, nothing happens. Pity.

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Sadly, she probably would have done better than Button, given the lack of pace of the McHonda and finished in the points. The Force India cars aren't as strong either, so good chance she could have finished ahead of them.

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Put her at the back of the grid and let 'er at it!

At least she's driven the thing already! (I think she did a session or two of the tests?)

I wonder if Claire asked Charlie?

Cheers,
    Ian

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

There should be a provision that a replacement driver can start from the pits.
    There aren't enough cars as is without creating rules to limit them further.

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Pitlane, back of the grid, wherever! As has been said, everything was ready to go.

I'm pretty sure she also has a super license already, which is more than a few others until recently.....

Cheers,
    Iam

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    No country for old men, keep the dream alive!

15. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A missed opportunity or potentially a missed future opportunity (i.e. Pat's comments) should Val need some additional time to heal. I'm not for stunts or propaganda, but I think she's qualified and its not a forced situation just for the sake of doing it.

She's super attractive, good in interviews, and would be nice to have something to talk about besides Merc crushing everyone and the typical banter about the rest.

16. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Her cheque isn't big enough. Simple as that.

17. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yeah why didn't they run their second car? Surely they could have picked up a point or two last race with just about any driver. Does that driver have to qualify and it was just too late?

18. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Not sure if this is still a relevant article (1 month old), but it doesn't look like she has it.

Susie Wolff unfazed by new F1 super licence criteria | MotorSportsTalk

19. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    The Wolff's own a part of the team. Or at least Toto does.

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Williams with a chance to make history and they screw it up. Disappointing. Feel bad for her.

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Basically, the rules (currently) say "(s)he that qualifies the car is the one that drives the car in the race."

No substitutions allowed.

As previously noted, if the unfortunate Bottles had broken ahead of quali, I think she'd have had a shot at it.

Cheers,
    Ian

22. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    #22 piolaxo, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    That is one thing: the rules currently state that after quali there is no chance for
    a substitution; a shame, but those are the rules. Hopefully, they can tweak that.

The other issue for me now is that all of a sudden 'she is not the reserve driver'
    and she cannot step in for Bottas in case he is not fit. I thought all along that she
    became test *and* reserve driver for this year. This is b******s.

So Williams now is wasting a huge opportunity that they set themselves to take,
    but they are throwing it all away.

23. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Thanks. I suppose that makes sense.

As you and others have said above, this rule should be changed and there should be every effort to field both cars (perhaps even a requirement). This season needs every car on the grid that it can get.

24. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    I hear there are seats available at Sauber w/ a deposit.

25. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    LOL They have an infinite number of seats available!