Renault to buy Toro Rosso ? | FerrariChat

Renault to buy Toro Rosso ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Mar 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    This is on the French magazine Autosport website:

F1 - Renault pourrait racheter Toro Rosso

F1 - RENAULT EVALUE LE RACHAT DE TORO ROSSO

The article mentions that Alain Prost has advised Carlos Goshn for Renault to run its own F1 team, instead of being just an engine supplier.

Ex-Mercedes Bob Bell and former Caterham Cyril Abiteboull, have been visiting Toro Rosso in Italy, but also Sauber in Switzerland and Force India's base in England for evaluation.
    It seems strange that Renault feels the need to buy an existing outfit, rather than create an in-house F1 department in France.
    Maybe to have access to a competition license without having to beg one from the FIA?

If this comes true, it may also signals that Red Bull would have to look for another engine supplier.
    Since Mercedes engines are unlikely, this may confirm the rumour that Mateschitzt wants to leave F1, selling TR first, before pulling out altogether.

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    well given TR performance in Melbourne it could be a good idea. Renault have been wishy washy regarding F-1 in - out - in - out.... I like them if they are in, and technically could do two teams - one as Renault and the other as Nissan or Infinity or both.

they seem to be behind on the engine front.... just ahead of Honda.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Renault had its first F1 team from 1977, til 1985 during the Jabouille, Arnoux, Prost, Tambay era. It was based in France.

Then, in 2000 Renault bought British-based Benetton outfit with Briatore at the helm, and won 2 WDCs with Alonso, before selling to Genii (Lotus) because of the crashgate scandal and the loss of its sponsors.

It looks like Renault wants to revisit team ownership once more. Why ?

4. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What would be missed if Red Bull pulls out is their driver development program.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Scott Speed, Bourdais, Algasueri, Vergne and Buemi may have a different opinion!! LOL

6. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    It makes sense to me (I'm not a business guy or F1 expert, just a fan) that IF Renault wants to run their own team again, they buy an existing team. Saves tons of money to "buy" the facilities, people, equipment, FIA license or whatever.

If nothing else, it would probably save any buyer millions of dollars/pounds/euros by just buying a team instead of paying X bazillion in licensing or application fees to Bernie!

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well, the way the Red Bull team have been p!siing on this publicly, i think this might happen.

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Big Al advising anyone on running their own team is priceless.

9. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Lol

10. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Maybe he is trying to get back at Renault for firing him in 1983! His stint as an owner was not exactly a model of success.

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Why would Renault want to buy a team in Italy ? The Italian labor laws are almost as inflexible as the French and whilst I accept Dallara & Ferrari get by its not like there's a huge infrastructure and talent pool like in England's F1 corridor

12. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    F1's "Silly Season" gets started sooner and sooner with each passing season.

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    But then again, Renault might just pack u and leave..

14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Red Bull is probably shopping power units so Renault are searching for a works team so their power unit wasn't built in vane!

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You may be right John. I believe it is obvious that Mercedes deep pockets allow them to constantly keep a few engines on the "test bed" while other manufacturer's (Ferrari excluded) are playing ketchup. If there is any truth to the title of this thread Renault best get their "nose to the grindstone" and get their engines sorted.

Random thoughts..
    Jack Handy

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I could see Red Bull getting with Honda given their packaging capabilities that the Benz unit is not capable of. I will explain: as I understand the Benz unit, Benz specifically advises teams where certain items must be placed in order for them to work correctly. Such a situation potentially limits packaging creativity that we know Newey is so good at. While I don't know Honda's arrangement, I think it's safe to say their packaging -once fully operational- can be completed more tightly than that of the Benz -at this time.

That and there's no way Dede is going to approach Benz hat in hand asking to be a customer.

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David

Do you play ketchup when you can't cut the mustard?
    ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    If history means anything I think the Honda engine will soon be a contender but on the flipside a great engine is nothing without a good chassis. I am not a fan of the Hybrid combo and had dreamed that the new engines would have been TT. Managing a V-engine with two turbochargers is easier because each bank of cylinders can be managed as a separate engine. This train of thought also entails all the complaining that the engines sound like crap ie not loud enough.

I ramble but when I have a thought I best get it writ before I forget.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I did that on purpose (a good laugh for all) and I was hoping someone would catch it. (Or should I say catsup?)

PS, Took my pups in this morning for a spit shine and polish thus started my day with a laugh thus my cup runneth over, victims every where.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not as much as Renault paying him for giving them advice though .

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

+2

Indeed. I suspect he's also pitching himself for the TP role too.....

Cheers,
    Ian