Audi to Join F1. Rekindled old rumor or legit? | FerrariChat

Audi to Join F1. Rekindled old rumor or legit?

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Mar 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    According to the latest report by Auto Express...

-------------------------

Audi has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans outright 13 out of the last 15 times—a staggering accomplishment. As the Audi dynasty piled up wins, critics wondered when the company might rest on its laurels. According to Auto Express, that time may be upon is. Audi may abandon both LMP1 and DTM to take a stab at the highest form of motorsport: Formula 1.

The report says key Audi insiders revealed that the company is developing a 1.6-liter turbocharged V6 and eyes one of the Red Bull teams—Red Bull Racing or Scuderia Toro Rosso—as its toehold in the sport. Buying an established team makes sense, as that would provide invaluable institutional experience and ease the growing pains of a new squad in the process.

The report points out that the German automaker has strong ties to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns Red Bull, and Volkswagen's ties with the energy drink company are real and substantial. Take WRC, where the two are joined at the hip in that series. A Volkswagen Group engine would be a more natural fit than the Red Bull RB10's current Renault powerplant.

The strongest evidence, however, is Audi's hiring of Stefano Domenicali, who stepped down as Ferrari's F1 director earlier this year. Why else recruit Domenicali—who has no experience relevant to any of Audi's other racing programs—except as a Formula 1 consultant or team manager?

As we reported in May, Porsche's Wolfgang Hatz revealed that the company first plotted its return to top-level racing back in 2010. There was a discussion about Hatz's squad joining F1, but Volkswagen execs instead opted to run both Audi and Porsche in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

About half a year later, the FIA released their engine regulations for the new V6 turbo cars. It's entirely possible that Volkswagen was aware of the upcoming regulations, decided then that Audi would begin transitioning into F1, and thus allowed Porsche to begin an LMP1 project to take up the parent company's mantle in WEC.

Here's something else to consider: it's possible that Audi has been building and testing a 1.6-liter F1 engine in R18 mules since 2010. Many still suspect that turbocharged LaFerrari was actually a testbed for Maranello's F1 engine, skirting rules about testing restrictions. Imagine what a camouflaged Audi LMP1 prototype could hide right out in the open. Perhaps the engine for a secret Audi F1 car?

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Interesting.

I always wondered how a F1 team could circumvent the ban on testing by disguising its car as a LMP or else. Surely the FIA would find something to say about that.

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Oh no...here we go again...

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Last October's lengthy Audi F1 thread originated with an Auto-Express story too.....

5. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I wish I had a dollar for every Audi-is-joining-F1 story over the past decade

6. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Audi isn't joining.

If Audi joined, they would destroy the field IMO. They seem to build race cars very well.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But then, what is left to do when you have already won Le Mans 13 times in the last 15 years?

Or AUDI accepts a new challenge and steps up to F1, or it leaves motor racing altogether.

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Audi knows they would have to dump infinite truckloads or money into making a formula 1 team viable, not to mention hire the best people and essentially follow what Brawn did for mercedes. I highly doubt they are going to want to jump into this particular formula, but I could see them entering once the formula makes a big change again.

They would only be good if they hired the right people. BMW fell flat on their face because they didn't get the right people. Brawn did it right. Somehow I think that would be a tough pill for Audi

9. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    I am sure that the media have spent 10x the amount of time writing about Audi and F1 than Audi have probably spent contemplating entering.

10. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    WRC again?
    Maybe a Dakar?

Why mess up a good thing. You're dominating a sport currently, why take on the unknown? I get the challenge aspect to prove total dominance, but if you're destroying the competition what would be the point in spending hundreds of millions to hopefully win again?

11. f_399

f_399 Karting

Oct 11, 2009
    When F1 makes engines hybrid diesels, Audi would be all in.

It should just be called VAG F1.

The Volkswagen group has a pretty impressive lineup.

12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Audi could be very tempted because of the new regs overlapping LM, if only to be engine supplier at minimum.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A good way to cripple an effort that has not yet started!

14. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    okes said the same thing about Aldo Costa's signing at Mercedes.

15. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    +1. You took the words out of my mouth. Another Audi f1 story.

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    When the Audi juggernaut said 1yr ago it had no interest in F1 that was probably just a "I love you but I hate you" spin doctor comment but the thought did get its own thread on FerrariChat.

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Another angle on SD joining Audi I thought was a connection to Fernando Alonso. Fred made it no secret his interest in Audi's LM project. Perhaps Fred has a post F1 plan with Audi and SD.

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Fred's experience and maturity in racing would be great in a endurance series, just my opinion of course.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But why would Audi want to recruit somebody so disruptive, who barely tolerates his team mates, poisons a team atmosphere, criticises his cars to the media and acts like a prima dona?

Endurance is far more a team sport than F1, and not the right environment for a sulky individual prone to tantrums. Just my opinion, of course!

20. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Think about Audi's involvement I motorsport...seriously. What is the single most outstanding attribute of every great achievement they have had? INNOVATION!
    From the Auto Union rear engine GP cars of the 1930s, to the Quattros that stood rallying on its head, to TDI and e-tron total domination of LMP, every instance involved Audi breaking the mold. Quattro and TDI have DIRECT transfer to road cars.

There is nothing in the F1 technical regulations that leaves room for the kind of maverick, breakthrough innovation that has been their hallmark. Audi are best when they are thinking outside the box, not operating inside somebody else's box. So, why take the risk that they enter a race series where they stand to lose to the likes of Renault or Honda while having one hand tied behind their back and being governed by technologies not dreamed up in Ingolstadt? Be sides that, why put in all the effort and capital required to compete under the current formula, when it may only have a year or two to run.

Perhaps, if F1 can loosen up the formula and make room for the manufacturers to find the solution to a problem, Audi might...might consider F1 as a showplace for their innovative expertise.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Why must it be Audi (they are not the only team who competes at Le Mans)? Why should those who only read gossip/internet fodder make judgments based upon said fodder and then portray the belief that the subject of their dismay will forever be held accountable for actions that they have no proof of?

Any who back OT. If Audi wants to compete in F1 I will welcome them with open arm's.

22. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Given the current talent of drivers, ex drivers and their management team, I'm sure they could handle any "tantrums" Alonso throws. He might be the best driver in F1, but might not be in Endurance. He's a 2 time WDC, Andre Lotterer is a 3 time LeMans winner. Tom Kristensen is 9 time. That's not an easy feat.

I also imagine Endurance is a lot more team oriented than "me" oriented.

23. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    One thing that we know about Alonso is that he loves getting paid.

At 33 soon to be 34 years old he has potentially another decade of driving in WEC ahead of him if Tom Kristensen retiring at 45/46 and McNish at 43 are any kind of measuring stick.

Stefano being there to ease that transition and another opportunity for Fernando to get paid for the next 5-10 years driving LMP1 makes more sense to me than Stefano being there to kickstart their F1 team.

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    We know he's got to be able to get out in a hurry. This is what got Bottles, but shouldn't be a problem for him.

I seem to recall that they'd also implemented the same kind of concussion testing protocols used by the NFL (among others?) ie, they record some kind of 'baseline' and they've got to try to match their 'score' before being considered in the clear. I think?

Beyond that, I really don't know. My guess is physically he's fine, it's whether his head is OK that seems to be the 'issue'. [cue cruel jokes about the state of Freds head next. ;) ]

Cheers,
    Ian