For those who think the F1 cars still look bad... | FerrariChat

For those who think the F1 cars still look bad...

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ... I'm one of them... but Good Lord... be grateful they haven't destroyed the cars like Indy has. The horror of watching my home Grand Prix. They look like pathetic go-karts. I'm not even sure they should even qualify as open wheel anymore.

I'm still a hater of the new nose regs... better than last year... but still not as mean looking as the 13 cars with the high nose and drop supports for the wing... but whatever. I'm just greatful now for what we've got.

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    GP cars aesthetically improved this year, but Indycars have gotten more cartoonish. At least the front looked good last year, but now there's waaaaaaay too much bodywork everywhere. An upper echelon racing car should look lethal; the Indy crapwagon looks like a Fisher Price toy.

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Not to worry. After half a lap, most of the winglet junk isn't on the cars, anymore. ;)

4. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  5. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't mind the front wings... I think it's cool to see all e cool winglets at the front. On the Indy cars ... It's those side pods and now rear pods that wrap around the rear wheel that totally ruin the look of the car.

6. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    When F1 cars began to grow wings and fins all over sometime in 06 or 07 I was really concerned that the end result would be something like that Indycar monstrosity. Thankfully they took steps to clean the silhouette of the cars up.

I honestly don't mind the aesthetics on the grid at the moment. I wouldn't mind seeing some more radical paint jobs though.

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I miss the 1998-2004 cars..

8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Nothing to disagree with there. For several years I have thought that it would make sense to limit front and rear wings to single planes, eliminate any little fins and winglets on the main part of the body, eliminate barge boards and turning vanes. I think it would improve racing by making cars more challenging to drive and they might even look better.

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Looks are one thing. The sound is an abomination.

Friend went to the Singapore GP. He is not going to another GP till they fix the sound.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #10 TheMayor, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    whoa...looks like a 1960s F1 car..

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    That 1965 Lotus kinda WAS a 60's F1 car. Very similar to its sister Lotus GP car, as were the 66-67 Eagle Indy & F1 cars.
    Still looks great, no?

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1000 and one of the most aesthetically beautiful engines ever!

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I agree 100%. Maybe I'm just too old, but I love the pre 68 F1 cars with no wings and minimal graphics. Also the country colors. This will never be seen again in modern racing.

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The best looking F-1 cars were from 1988 - 1993. They were wide, sleek, and had massive wings and barge boards etc.. as well as slicks big side pods, and multi cyl. engines .. after Senna's death they strangled the cars and that is what we have now.

Indy cars from about the same time period were pretty spectacular as well. onece the split happend it all got ugly and have not come back.

16. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The aero down force is so great on Indy cars that they often run 3-4 wide and never lift, much less brake, except to pit.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Ironically, this Lotus 38 was the first Indy Lotus that was designed as such from scratch and was not based on the current F1 Lotus. The types 29 and 34 used the previous two years were based on the contemporary types 25 and 33 F1 cars. But the 38 obviously still used F1 technology.

You mentioned the Eagles; they were designed by the same man, Len Terry, who was principally responsible for the 38. Of course, Gurney had the car designed so that both Indy and F1 cars could be based on the same chassis. Foyt's 1967-winning Coyote was also basically a Lotus 38 copy.

18. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #18 itschris, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I was at TMS when Kenny Brack almost exited the track. I remember Dan Wheldon. I think that the pods around the wheels make absolute sense, especially on the ovals. F1 cars don't share the same space very often, so they can and should retain the traditional open wheel style.

20. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Funny, I was watching Indy cars this weekend (which is rare for me since I don't really care for the IRL) and thought, "well, at least all these bits all over the place have a functional purpose." They're ugly, but at least there is a performance justification for their ugliness.

Mark

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I don't know what you're all going on about!

When Sebs Ferrari crossed the finish line on Sunday it was one of the most beautiful machines I've seen for a long time!

22. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I couldn't agree more. The sound is beyond disappointing.

23. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agreed... this year's car is far better than last. Just making the point that it could be a whole lot worse. Indy's aero kits are ridiculous. They look like a bad kit that some 16 year old would put on his 1998 Honda Civic.

I know the front wings drive some people crazy... but the wing is already there... what you put on it doesn't bother me really and I actually think all those diffusers are cool because i know they do something. The rest of the f1 cars are fairly clean looking and I think there's balance... aero-wise from front to back... visually. The new Indy cars are worse than ever. The sidepods were already ridiculous, but now the rear of the car is just beyond the pale. Like I said... how do you call it open wheel when the wheel is completely enclosed.

24. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    +1

These new indycar aerokits or whatever are downright horrid.

I have an indycar race in my backyard this year and I just don't know if I can bring myself to watch them go around the track.

25. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Fisher price is accurate.

They look like those three seat indycars for the fan ride-alongs, except without the extra seats.

Terrible.